Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2017, 10:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta Sprinter 24SV
State: Arkansas
THOR #6932
Fresh water tank won't drain completely

We have a 2017 Siesta 24SV.

The freshwater tank never empties completely. There is more than an inch of water left in the bottom of the tank. When trying to winterize, I looked at the tank better and realized the drain is on the side of the tank.

What is the best way to get this extra water out of the tank? With temps dropping into the teens, we have left a heat strip in that compartment temporarily. Any suggestions appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171228_162743.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	8378  

Old 12-29-2017, 12:11 AM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
You could run the "opposite" wheels up on blocks so that the RV is tilted and the tank would drain.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:03 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
You can never get it all out down low as it is it will freeze and expand up doing no damage to the tank just make sure the line is drained
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:11 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
yup a little water in the tank won't damage anything as long as it has a place to expand into when it freezes.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:38 AM   #5

Model: Siesta Sprinter 24SV
State: Arkansas
THOR #6932
Thanks for the replies. It's reassuring to know there won't be any serious issues in having some water in there! All the lines are drained, so it should be OK.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:03 AM   #6

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
I wet winterized mine today. Very simple and inexpensive. Basically drain the tank, pour in potable antifreeze, and run it through the water pump starting at the farthest faucets until antifreeze comes out. Leaves antifreeze in the fresh tank, puts antifreeze in the lines and the holding tanks. I use a 50/50 mix good for down to -50℉, but I live in Alabama, and if it gets that cold here, we are all in trouble.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:15 AM   #7

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawpaw's House View Post
I wet winterized mine today. Very simple and inexpensive. Basically drain the tank, pour in potable antifreeze, and run it through the water pump starting at the farthest faucets until antifreeze comes out. Leaves antifreeze in the fresh tank, puts antifreeze in the lines and the holding tanks. I use a 50/50 mix good for down to -50℉, but I live in Alabama, and if it gets that cold here, we are all in trouble.
Oh, yea, and let some run out of the drain to flush it and get some antifreeze through that line as well.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:11 AM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Personally I don't put antifreeze into the fresh water tank... It is just fine drained as low as it can... It's drain line is empty.
I add antifreeze (when using than method vs. compressed air) though a provided tap between tank and water pump.

Getting the antifreeze OUT of a fresh water tank that retains an inch of liquid is more of a pain than I choose to deal with.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #9

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-AR View Post
We have a 2017 Siesta 24SV.

The freshwater tank never empties completely. There is more than an inch of water left in the bottom of the tank. When trying to winterize, I looked at the tank better and realized the drain is on the side of the tank.

What is the best way to get this extra water out of the tank? With temps dropping into the teens, we have left a heat strip in that compartment temporarily. Any suggestions appreciated.
Nearly all the coaches I have observed have the same issue. It is true the water in the bottom will not hurt the tank. However, the line from the tank to the on board pump also has water in it and can freeze the pump and line. An easy way to drain the tank is to open the discharge valve and drive it. It has worked for me every time. The movement of the vehicle sloshes the water enough to get it out. Or you could raise the opposite side of the coach with blocks or levelers...

I do add antifreeze to the tank and use pump to get the lines protected. A lot of people do not like the approach due to the need to flush the tank in spring....