Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2016, 10:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #6124
Unhappy Furnace

Hi.. I am new here.. We bought a 2014 Hurricane Thor several months back and we have it set up as a home away from home at a park. My son is in between homes and staying there and we can only get the furnace to work off of propane. We just filled it 2 weeks ago and it is out already. We are trying to figure out if it can also work off of electricity, and if so, how to switch from gas to electricity.. Please help! Thanks, Liz

Old 12-19-2016, 10:39 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
There is no switch, it's a propane furnace that has only a 12v blower Space heater might help, but keeping the pipes from freezing means running the propane.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:37 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
As nosticks said - the only heat source for the furnace is propane.

On the 2014 Hurricane (at least my 32A) - there is no fresh water tank/pump/valves in the basement - it is all in the RV... so running space heaters is an option. (Unlike the Challenger which relies on the furnace heating the wet bay in basement to prevent freezing.)

If you will be below freezing - be aware of the tank drain pipes... Nothing heats that area... Cracking a black water drain pipe wouldn't be any fun. (Would really have to be below 32 for a bit... Not sure you are getting that cold in SC...)

These rigs are not insulated like your home... and as the temperature outside drops, the propane usage goes up significantly. I remember an unexpected snowy Christmas in Arkansas a few years ago - could almost watch the propane gauge go down until I added a space heater.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:21 AM   #4

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Do a search for extend a stay. You can hook up a large propane tank to your motorhome.