Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2014, 03:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Lemon Law question

Hey Gang,

Just curious if anybody out there has ever used the Lemon Law on a lemon RV? I have a 2014 Thor Miramar 34.2 with all sorts of issues. The running joke is this bucket was assembled on a Friday before a 3 day weekend!!

Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #943
Bought a Thor Miramar 34.2 also. Nothing but trouble so I would be interested if anyone has used Lemon Law also. Maybe ours came off the assemly line the same day as yours. Yikes!!! That's SAD!!!!
Old 11-02-2014, 03:57 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #682
Make that 3
Old 11-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #4

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Lemon laws vary by state. Many state's laws do not cover RVs or only cover partially. Your best bet is to check your state attorney general's web site. You should find something there.

For example, a quick check says Florida requires mediation. In washington the lemon law applies to chassis issues only.
Good luck,

Randy
Old 04-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #5

THOR #1784
Lemon Law

Tried that route with our Thor Palazzo in FL. Does require mediation and is not very easy to accomplish. Remember to notify each manufacturer of your intent (for instance, schwintek and Thor must receive notice for slide issues). You must give all manufacturers an opportunity to "respond" to your intentions.

Our lemon law attempt failed and we are still dealing with issues on our slide.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #6

THOR #943
Understand your frustration. In a few weeks we will see if we need to go public BIG TIME with Thor's lousy quality control. Every body needs to know before they make a choice!
Old 04-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #7

THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by aforder View Post
Tried that route with our Thor Palazzo in FL. Does require mediation and is not very easy to accomplish. Remember to notify each manufacturer of your intent (for instance, schwintek and Thor must receive notice for slide issues). You must give all manufacturers an opportunity to "respond" to your intentions.

Our lemon law attempt failed and we are still dealing with issues on our slide.
Sorry to hear about your experience, I too have been extremely dissappointed with THOR!

I've hired an attorney and am taking action that way! After 12 months of ownership, with half of that having the coach out of commission for repairs, I've given up!

It's unfortunate that the lemon law for RV's is so narrow in scope! It seems as though it will take legislative action to change the lemon law statute as it applies to RV's. Clearly the builders were able to influence these statutes as they were enacted around the country.

I've been in contact with my states attorney general as well as my elected representatives. I'm exploring the idea of attempting an amendment or a resolution to the Washington state lemon law to make some changes!

I urge everyone out there that is having problems to do a couple of things;

1. Keep good records and documentation on your vehicle
2. Hold your dealer/manufacturer accountable for repairs
3. If you find things are not getting resolved to your satisfaction reach out to your states attorney general for assistance. They are generally the first stop for self help.
They should also have the names of lemon law attorneys in your area that may be able to give you advice!

If enough complaints go through the AG's office about a manufacturer maybe it could be the catalyst to effect a change in the law to better protect the consumer, not the big manufactures!!

Good luck!!
Old 03-20-2016, 02:39 AM   #8

State: Connecticut
THOR #3862
Best advice
Create an LLC - which buys the motor home--- if too many issues exist -- your LLC. Walks away from owning the MH
Old 03-20-2016, 03:35 AM   #9

THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul b View Post
Best advice
Create an LLC - which buys the motor home--- if too many issues exist -- your LLC. Walks away from owning the MH
How will a finance company view that? I'm curious!

My situation was finally resolved to my satisfaction, working thru the lemon law process in my state. I wish it didn't have to go as far as it did, but the system did work!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:32 AM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
How will a finance company view that? I'm curious!

My situation was finally resolved to my satisfaction, working thru the lemon law process in my state. I wish it didn't have to go as far as it did, but the system did work!
In most cases the LLC must have the resources available to obtain financing for the coach. With an LLC if it is proven you are financing the business trough personal funds rather than through actual business proceeds then you are liable just like a sole proprietorship.

Also if the RV is purchased in the name of an LLC then it becomes a commercial vehicle subject to the same taxes and laws as any other commercial vehicle. For example in must states you pay higher taxes, higher registration fees, higher insurance premiums, and are also required to pass through most weight stations.

Also, and this is very important with an RV, if it is purchased in the name of a business the warranty is drastically shortened. In the case of Thor the warranty for a motorhome purchased in the name of a business, or one which is listed as an asset on the tax return of a business, is 90 days or 5000 miles whichever occurs first.

We looked at buying ours under my wife's LLC but after talking to our attorney we decided it would be too expensive and too much hassle in the long run.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Dave,

Thanks for that info! When I retire I was wondering about an LLC with the RV as an asset...but not with higher taxes and shorter warrant.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:57 PM   #12

State: West Virginia
THOR #1408
We have had our miramar 34.2 for 14 months. It has spent 5 months in the shop. The toilet still does not flush properly. Every camping trip has entailed snaking the toilet at least twice. The dealer swears there are no obstructions and that it was repaired. My wife was sold on the outside kitchen, but a trade may be in order to a non-Thor product.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:15 PM   #13

THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post
We have had our miramar 34.2 for 14 months. It has spent 5 months in the shop. The toilet still does not flush properly. Every camping trip has entailed snaking the toilet at least twice. The dealer swears there are no obstructions and that it was repaired. My wife was sold on the outside kitchen, but a trade may be in order to a non-Thor product.
The toilet on the 34.2 is in a bad place! The toilet is on the opposite side of the black holding tank. This means when you flush solids with paper, the "stuff" has to down approx 5-6 inches, then makes a 45 deg turn and travels across the coach to the black tank, makes another 45-90 deg turn then drops into the black tank!!!

We had the exact same problem with our 34.2. For us the only solution was to use a lot and I mean a lot of water to flush waste across to the tank!! By a lot of the water I mean fill the toilet 3/4 full of water. Do your business, flush and let water run for at least 5 seconds. Then fill the bowl a second time 3/4 full with water and flush again.

This for us was the only way to keep from having to snake the toilet. I was having to snake that toilet a lot like you! The obvious downside was I was having to dump the black tank every other day, that's with 2 people. If we had a guest or one of the kids, it was being dumped practically every day!! Now that sucked!!!

We now have a 33.5 and the toilet is directly over the black tank, we can now go 4 or 5 days straight without having to dump the black tank which is so much nicer!
Old 03-31-2016, 06:32 PM   #14

THOR #1408
Brianh442 thanks for the quick response. We are currently in a full hookup site, but it is taking a lot of water and frequent dumps. Still had to snake it. My wife likes the floor plan and the outside kitchen, but a trade may be in order. I have contacted the consumer protections agency in TN. We will see where we go from here.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:14 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Have you talked to Thor about possibly installing a macerating toilet?
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-31-2016, 11:49 PM   #16

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Dave=most of the info you have given about LLC's is completely wrong. COMPLETELY. Most banking institutions will not loan money to an LLC unless the the financial requirements are met. Not likely in an LLC set up for the purpose of owning an RV, and even if they do you still can not just walk away from it unencumbered.
We set up an LLC, purchased for cash, paid NO sales tax, Paid $80 for a life time license plate, no other taxes or fees of any kind, and are not required to stop at a scale or port of entry anywhere.
My insurance carrier doesn't care how it is titled. Still insures it under my wife's name (her LLC) at a non-commercial rate. How would the guy in the scale know it was owned by an LLC?
There was NO expense in regard to the LLC ownership other than $150 to an attorney to park the title there. Let's see $8500 sales tax + $750 for license plate, (plate due every year), or $150 1 time to the attorney. Got me scratching my head.
DRV does not care either. Still have the same warranty as everybody else.

Bill
Old 04-01-2016, 02:43 AM   #17

THOR #578
Hey Kevin,

Yes, it takes a lot of water, in fact a ridiculous amount. It would be next to impossible to dry camp in a 34.2, unless you went into the woods to do a #2, if you know what I mean! It is definitely a poor design aspect of the 34.2, among other things!!!

We like our 33.5 much much better, the toilet sits over top of the black tank, so everything drops straight into the black tank!! The Mrs. And I are on our 3rd day and our black tank isn't even 3/4 yet. I had to dump the grey this morning, two days of showers, dishes and I ran the washer/dryer yesterday.

P.S. The macerater won't work, it will shred the stuff coming out of the tank, your problem is getting the stuff into the tank!!!
Old 04-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Hey Kevin,

Yes, it takes a lot of water, in fact a ridiculous amount. It would be next to impossible to dry camp in a 34.2, unless you went into the woods to do a #2, if you know what I mean! It is definitely a poor design aspect of the 34.2, among other things!!!

We like our 33.5 much much better, the toilet sits over top of the black tank, so everything drops straight into the black tank!! The Mrs. And I are on our 3rd day and our black tank isn't even 3/4 yet. I had to dump the grey this morning, two days of showers, dishes and I ran the washer/dryer yesterday.

P.S. The macerater won't work, it will shred the stuff coming out of the tank, your problem is getting the stuff into the tank!!!
When I mentioned a macerating toilet I was not talking about a macerator that shreds after the tank. I was referring to a toilet with a built in macerator that shreds before the tank.

MasterFlush 7640 RV Toilets - Dometic Corp
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
Quote:
The toilet on the 34.2 is in a bad place! The toilet is on the opposite side of the black holding tank. This means when you flush solids with paper, the "stuff" has to down approx 5-6 inches, then makes a 45 deg turn and travels across the coach to the black tank, makes another 45-90 deg turn then drops into the black tank!!!

We had the exact same problem with our 34.2. For us the only solution was to use a lot and I mean a lot of water to flush waste across to the tank!! By a lot of the water I mean fill the toilet 3/4 full of water. Do your business, flush and let water run for at least 5 seconds. Then fill the bowl a second time 3/4 full with water and flush again.

This for us was the only way to keep from having to snake the toilet. I was having to snake that toilet a lot like you! The obvious downside was I was having to dump the black tank every other day, that's with 2 people. If we had a guest or one of the kids, it was being dumped practically every day!! Now that sucked!!!

We now have a 33.5 and the toilet is directly over the black tank, we can now go 4 or 5 days straight without having to dump the black tank which is so much nicer!
Am I correct in understanding that those Miramar coaches that have the toilet on the curb/passenger side are the ones with the troublesome toilet flushing issue?

If so, I will have to change my next RV want list.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #20

THOR #1408
34.2 toliet

I contacted THOR customer service and obtained a pdf of the sewer system for the 34.2. The tank runs the width of the coach, being deepest on the driver's side, opposite the toilet. While the toilet does sit directed over one end of the tank, it is a very shallow end. Number 2 does a couple of twists and drops to the end of the pipe and sits. Supposedly THOR has an after market product that would directly flush that end of the tank when you flush the toilet. Customer service is supposed to get back with me on Monday, but they did not seem thrilled with the idea that it should be their monetary responsibility to correct a poorly designed sewer system. Disappointing for the cost of the coach that the design engineering is not better.