Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #221

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #3980
Seriously considering a 2018 Ford chassis Gemini, but I have read so many negative comments on 2017 units. You you 2018 owners feel satisfied with quality. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:15 PM   #222

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Hello everyone.... first post here. We bought our Gemini 23TR in January and have made two trips so far. I was reading all our issues with the stock A/C unit. I confirm ours is weak too and struggles even in moderately warm days (low 80s). I read where some of you installed a second A/C - but I don’t think I want to take that route. I mean roof space, house power going to 50 amp, not to mention a pricey upgrade (I’m guessing 5k for everything).

So my question is, if I upgrade to a 15k btu unit, will that be enough to make a difference, or are two units the only real way to cool the coach?

Thanks in advance,
Joe
================================================
If you upgrade the existing unit, you will be going from 13500BTU to a 15000BTU unit, which is only a 1.5 BTU upgrade. It might make a difference, but it will be slight at best, and probably not noticeable. By adding a second unit, you not only double the BTU rating, but vastly improve the air distribution in the coach, which combined make a very noticeable difference. The difference in ours with the second unit is dramatic. We still often only have to run one, but even when we need both, they now cycle on and off, instead of one running non-stop, and still losing to the heat.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #223

THOR #5821
On the former post the upper part is a quote from FBV2018
Old 04-16-2018, 01:59 AM   #224

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Monacoman
Although it may not seem like it by all the Gemini/Compass problems reported on this forum, they are great little motorhomes. I have no issues with my Ford Transit chassis. Also love the floor plan of the TR. I use mine for grandkids sporting events, grocery store runs, & camping. That said there are quality control issues that fall on the owner to fix. It’s not just Thor. The saying “The only thing that works on an RV is the owner” is based in fact. If you like the Gemini/Compass layout go for it. Be prepared to deal with a few problems no matter what brand you buy. RV ownership is not like a car when there is a system in place for timely warranty work. If you’re interested in what I’ve done to mine search for posts by me.
Hugh
Old 04-16-2018, 02:29 AM   #225

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
I agree with vfrhugh. 10,000 miles on our 23TR and I like it more each time I drive it.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #226

Model: 23 TR
THOR #10954
Quote:
Originally Posted by monacoman View Post
Seriously considering a 2018 Ford chassis Gemini, but I have read so many negative comments on 2017 units. You you 2018 owners feel satisfied with quality. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have 2017 Compass just purchased in January. Excellent design and very good components. There are going to be some ankle biters as mentioned in some of the forums. Get a tube of Goop for all screws and just unscrew them all apply a dab under the screw and then all is good. I get 17 MPG and everything that needs to function does so without any real drama. Very comfortable and drives great.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #227

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
THOR #9752
Our 2017 Compass 23TR was purchased right after the 2018's hit the RV dealers so ours was the last on the lot and was offered at a great price.

As always, there were numerous items that required repair including replacing the entire rear bed frame that had incurred water damage from a bad slide out seal. Our dealer was tremendous and repaired everything we discovered. A suggestion - apply a bead of silicone sealant to the wood bed frame and side molding where they sit on the coach floor. This is where coach received the water damage.

We have taken it on several trips to get a feel for the coach and where we were very pleased to get over 18mpg at 60mph. Anything faster will bring down the mileage but not by much. It is super comfortable and easy to drive. Can't say enough how much easier it is to drive than our 2003 Gulfstream BT Cruiser 5211 with a V10 Ford E350. All the difference in the world! The BT Cruiser, however is still a very fine coach.

As we live in Florida, there have been limited or no campsites available locally. That will change next month when the snowbirds begin their mass migration back North. We are looking forward to actually going camping at one of the fabulous Florida State Parks in our area.

I have been enjoying this forum and all the great info provided.

Paul
Old 04-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #228

Model: Gemini 23TB
State: Georgia
THOR #10886
Hello!

Hi All,

My wife and I are fairly new to RVing, having bought a 2001 Roadtrek 190 Popular about year and a half ago. Like other folks we have met in our travels, we own an RV so that we can take our pets on our vacations! We recently purchased a 2018 Gemini 23TB in spite of some of the reviews we encountered here and elsewhere. We just liked everything about it and decided we'd deal with whatever issues arose. I think buying a 2018 MAY have helped, allowing Thor and Ford to work out some of the issues of previous generations. As we all know, the one thing they haven't sorted out is quality of construction. I'll relay an issue with our water pump in my next post. For now, thanks for your insights that make what we do easier and more fun!

Mac and LaVerne Graham
Old 04-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #229

Model: Gemini 23TB
State: Georgia
THOR #10886
Low water pump pressure

Within a few weeks of owning our Gemini, water pressure at the faucets/shower head seemed to drop off when using the water pump. We're an hour from our dealer and decided to get to know our new home a little better. Taking advice from posts here, i attached a hose directly to the water pump to see how long it would take to fill a gallon jug - 1 minute, 38 seconds. A good pump should put out close to three gallons in a minute. I checked the filter at the pump (which was leaking because the gasket was not set completely in it's groove) and found a few plastic bits but nothing to slow the pump down. Next was to disconnect the line from the fresh water tank to the pump. The picture says it all. The up arrow is where the debris had collected. The line was almost completely blocked with little bits of plastic, MOST of which I captured for the picture. My guess is I'll have to do this again as I don't know how many more plastic bits may be in the tank.

Our fresh water tank is underneath our bed covered in a wooden cabinet. The "lid" or top of the box was held in place by some screws that could only be accessed from an outside compartment. the rest of it was held in place with finishing nails! Obviously the fastest and cheapest way to seal it up but a poor setup if you need to service anything. Needless to say, the finishing nails are gone and i'm letting gravity keep the lid in place since the perimeter of the cabinet is flush with the lid and holds it in place.

If I hadn't opened this cabinet up and discovered the leaking filter, who knows how much damage it may have caused, along with some eventual mold issues! Hope this is helpful.
Mac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh water debris.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	9812  
Old 04-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #230

Model: Compass 23TB
State: Virginia
THOR #11030
Hello and welcome Paul n
I see we shared the same experience. I traded my 2005 BT Cruiser 5211 for the last Compass on the lot. I will miss it simply because of its dependably. Were still working out some faults with the new one but it won't stop us from our first trip next week.
.....and thanks for the heads up Macsplorer. I'll be checking that out.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:04 AM   #231

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Mac,
Good detective work with your water pressure issue. Sounds like you’ll be a happy camper.
Hugh
Old 04-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #232

THOR #10954
Compass outside windshield cover

I have ordered now 3 outside windshield that won't fit at all. These have been way too small. Has anyone ordered one that fits correctly?
Old 04-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #233

THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
I have ordered now 3 outside windshield that won't fit at all. These have been way too small. Has anyone ordered one that fits correctly?
Are you talking about sun screens? Not sure what chassis you have, mine is on the MB Sprinter, and I ordered sun screens from RV Sunscreen | No More Snaps, Drilling or Climbing

they fit perfectly. They did ask, and I supplied the measurements, since apparently the windshield changes from year to year on the Sprinter.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #234

THOR #10954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Are you talking about sun screens? Not sure what chassis you have, mine is on the MB Sprinter, and I ordered sun screens from RV Sunscreen | No More Snaps, Drilling or Climbing

they fit perfectly. They did ask, and I supplied the measurements, since apparently the windshield changes from year to year on the Sprinter.
I have the Ford Transit HD 350 on a 2017 Thor Compass.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:31 PM   #235

THOR #5821
Try Prompt. They will custom make them for you, and they stand behind their screens.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:59 PM   #236

Model: Compass 23TB
State: Virginia
THOR #11030
This Sunday was the best weather we've had in a long while. It's not hot enough to extent the awning but with the compass we'll be ready.
Hopping that dry camping this coming weekend will go well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	9869   Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0121.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	9870  

Old 04-24-2018, 05:06 AM   #237

Model: Compass 23TK
State: Indiana
THOR #10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
Monacoman
Although it may not seem like it by all the Gemini/Compass problems reported on this forum, they are great little motorhomes. I have no issues with my Ford Transit chassis. Also love the floor plan of the TR. I use mine for grandkids sporting events, grocery store runs, & camping. That said there are quality control issues that fall on the owner to fix. It’s not just Thor. The saying “The only thing that works on an RV is the owner” is based in fact. If you like the Gemini/Compass layout go for it. Be prepared to deal with a few problems no matter what brand you buy. RV ownership is not like a car when there is a system in place for timely warranty work. If you’re interested in what I’ve done to mine search for posts by me.
Hugh
I like this particular forum because if focuses on the positives rather trashing Thor like some of the others. I hear a lot of how to fix problems after they are found, but since the weather has been keeping us from our maiden voyage, these issues await I am sure. What I would love to hear is suggestions for more preventative maintenance ideas that may help keep some of the issues at bay. Like the one suggestion of putting a dab of Goop behind the screws. Things that can checked and done before we head out for our first adventure. Which hopefully will be soon. If anyone with lots of experience with the Compass/Gemini modles, as well as having been part of these forums could start a list, would be so appreciated.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #238

THOR #9752
campy - I ordered sun shades and a windshield cover from Autoheatshield (ProTrim Inc.)

The number for the windshield cover is #1692 Cost $39/95
The number for the side window shades is #1542S-B Cost was $49.95

They fit perfectly. In fact the windshield is plenty large and fits very snug. The side shades have suction cups that hold it to the windows and fit perfectly.

Bought on Amazon back in October.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old 04-25-2018, 12:44 PM   #239

THOR #10954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
campy - I ordered sun shades and a windshield cover from Autoheatshield (ProTrim Inc.)

The number for the windshield cover is #1692 Cost $39/95
The number for the side window shades is #1542S-B Cost was $49.95

They fit perfectly. In fact the windshield is plenty large and fits very snug. The side shades have suction cups that hold it to the windows and fit perfectly.

Bought on Amazon back in October.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Thanks for the information. I am looking for the windsheild screen that goes on the outside of the window. Do they have a outside cover/

Thanks, Carl
Old 04-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #240

THOR #9752
Smile

The only exterior cover I found was from a company called Van Upgrades for $149.00.

Below is their website:

https://vanupgrades.com/products/tra...grade-material

The Heatshield covers I picked up for our Transit based Compass really help with heat transfer keeping the cab area cooler.

The exterior ADCO cover I had on my BT Cruiser with Ford E350 Chasis covered the windows but did nothing for heat transfer. On the other hand the cab area when closed off from the rest of the coach with a curtain became a nice drying room for towels, swim suits and etc. during the summer! Bright side to everything.

Paul

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall