Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
One of the tings we did that did help, was, I put a fairly strong fan on the dashboard and aimed it toward the rear of the coach. That got that super heated air out of the cab area, so it could be cooled too. It did help, the front ran 5 to 8 degrees cooler doing that. I also have a sun screen for the windshield and keep the blinders closed in the cab to keep the sun from baking the cab interior. It all helps.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #22

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Thanks for the tips to cool it off...I do have the reflectors for front and skylight windows which as you say "helps" but it still can get hotter inside than outside --with the A/C running. I may try adding a small free standing A/C unit like https://www.amazon.com/Global-Air-Po...BQS3QPXTXHGQMC
Old 10-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #23

THOR #5821
I considered a portable AC like or similar to the one you are considering. Since floor space is so limited in the Gemini, I couldn't figure where I could put it. I would have liked to put it right behind the dash board in the cab, but in the Mercedes chassis, that floor is not even close to level. I think another 10,000BTU up front would make a huge difference. I had them match the unit already installed in the rear of the coach, so I have an additional 13,500BTU and another heat pump. As small as the Gemini is, I should be able to get close to meat locker temps in there, if I chose to. Of course now I have twice as much condensate water dripping off the top, but since I am also adding an HWH leveling system, I hope to be able to direct it off the left side, so we wont get wet going in and out of the motor home.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #24

State: Florida
THOR #6333
The dash A/C (Quantum KM24 Sprinter) does a much better job of cooling the motorhome on the than the 15000btu coleman. Does anyone have a idea of the tradeoff in fuel cost of using the diesel engine to cool and recharge the house batteries vs propane gen. My log shows we paid as much as a dollar more/gal for propane out west. Just trying to see if I'm missing an angle. Thoughts, opinions?
Old 10-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #25

THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncii View Post
The dash A/C (Quantum KM24 Sprinter) does a much better job of cooling the motorhome on the than the 15000btu coleman. Does anyone have a idea of the tradeoff in fuel cost of using the diesel engine to cool and recharge the house batteries vs propane gen. My log shows we paid as much as a dollar more/gal for propane out west. Just trying to see if I'm missing an angle. Thoughts, opinions?
Its more complicated than only a dollar issue. Despite what many people do, I was told by Cummins, on my former DP, never to idle the engine more than 5% of its total run time. On the Cummins, it will kill the seals on the injectors. On my current Sprinter, Mercedes also says no more than 5% idle of total run time. On the Sprinter, its apparently an engine destroyer, will contaminate the oil with fuel, and overheat the exhaust system. If you have been following some of the threads I have been on, I gave up trying to cope with the one rear AC, and had a second AC installed in front. Even in a small RV like our Gemini, a single AC will not cope with temps that are in the 90's and certainly not when its 100 degrees.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:19 PM   #26

THOR #6333
Thanks. Good to know. I'll research that angle (idle time) and see if I find anything different. Kills me that that big Coleman does worse than the dash A/C. Looks like they use cut out in styro insulation as ducting. Will say A/C seems to work better directly from unit than thru ducts.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #27

THOR #5821
Mine came with a Dometic 13,500BTU in the rear. I was dubious about it, but decided that since there are so few cubic feet inside the Gemini, I would give it a shot. Unfortunately, when the temps are high, and the sun is beating directly on the MH, the cab area super heats, and radiates more heat back into the living space than the one AC could possibly keep up with. Possibly if the cab area could be closed off, but that's not possible, since some of the cab space becomes living space when parked. I really saw no way around some form of additional cooling capacity, and since being comfortable inside is important to my wife, our dog and to me, decided to bite the $$ bullet and have a second AC installed. Dealer says they have actually done quite a few of them. Should get it back sometime this week, anxious to try it out with all the new stuff, including the added HWH leveling system.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #28

THOR #6333
I used the stock fitted comforter to make a curtain that separates cab and house. Works great to create smaller cooling areas. Also serves as a quick up privacy curtain for short stops. Cost 15.00 to have seamstress cut to size and hem. Use velcro to hang.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #29

THOR #5821
Not sure how yours is configured, but as I commented, about half of the cab space becomes part of the living space in ours. We have some pretty effective shades, on tracks, that take seconds to close, to close off the windshield and the cab side windows. It actually comes on Winnebago's but I made the dealer install them on ours as part of the purchase deal. Really like them so much better than the curtain setup that Thor supplied. Also for heat control, I use a very dark sun screen fitted to the outside of the windshield, can see through it in the day time, but that really makes a difference in the inside temperature, as well as glare inside.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 PM   #30

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Laco, do you have any info on the track curtain? I haven't found anything yet. BTW, I really like the windshield and side window panels that Thor provided. I use them all the time when parked for anything longer than 4 hours. The curtain they provided I could do without. Looking forward to a report on that second a/c unit.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:57 PM   #31

THOR #5821
It isn't really a curtain, more of a pleated horizontal shade, that has both an upper and lower track. For the Windshield it pulls from each side, halfway where it meets the other half in the middle where magnets hold it together. The side shades, two on each side, one for the small triangle window forward and one for the side window, they pull on tracks and again attach with magnets. Winnebago uses them on most if not all their class C's built on the Mercedes Sprinter 3500's. Dealer bought the kit from Winnebago, though I believe that Mercedes designed and manufacture's them, as there is a fair amount of German verbiage on them. I'm told the second AC install is complete, but the leveling system had not arrived as of Monday of this week, so there is a bit of a delay because of that. Hoping it did get there, and is being installed now, I hope.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:50 AM   #32

THOR #6701
Thanks Laco.

I guess I better get my dealer on this. Good luck on the additions.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:29 AM   #33

THOR #5821
Not sure what windshield and side window panels came with yours, but Thor only supplied a couple of curtains, that were in a plastic bag in the closet. No one at the dealership had a clue how to use them or what to attach them to. They remain in the plastic bag on the closet floor, I keep thinking there must be some use for them!!!!! The shades they installed are great, IMO they should supply them, but they apparently were a fairly expensive add, according to the dealer.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:35 AM   #34

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Not sure what windshield and side window panels came with yours, but Thor only supplied a couple of curtains, that were in a plastic bag in the closet. No one at the dealership had a clue how to use them or what to attach them to. They remain in the plastic bag on the closet floor, I keep thinking there must be some use for them!!!!! The shades they installed are great, IMO they should supply them, but they apparently were a fairly expensive add, according to the dealer.
The panels are four thick, foldable panels cut to fit the windshield and door windows. They have a shiney side and a dark fabric side. They do a great job when storing the vehicle and overnight. Just a bit awkward for quick stops. They were also in a bag in the closet. The curtains you found attach with velcro strips above the doors and windshield. All are functional just not as convenient as curtains on a rail.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #35

THOR #9606
Hello all....new Gemini 23TR owners here. But not new to RVing. Been doing that for the last 25+ years in various rigs from pop up to diesel pusher to fifth wheel.

Got away from RVing but found we missed it a little bit. Didn't want the complexity or largeness of the bigger rigs and found this setup to be quite nice and encompassing.

That all being said.....we pulled the stock comforter off the bed and can say for sure that we have never seen a comforter fitted to all four corners. How is that supposed to be used? If at all. Is it just a bed cover when not sleeping?
Old 10-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #36

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
One of the tings we did that did help, was, I put a fairly strong fan on the dashboard and aimed it toward the rear of the coach. That got that super heated air out of the cab area, so it could be cooled too. It did help, the front ran 5 to 8 degrees cooler doing that. I also have a sun screen for the windshield and keep the blinders closed in the cab to keep the sun from baking the cab interior. It all helps.
Hello Laco, would you please tell me more about your sun screen.thx
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #37

THOR #5821
Sun screen is made to fit the windshield, and uses a suction cup on each side window to hold it in place. Take a minute and a half or so to put up, small class C so no ladder required. They can be ordered here:

RV Sunscreen | No More Snaps, Drilling or Climbing
Old 10-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #38

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
You may want to evaluate an Adco windshield cover for the Ford Transit if they make one now. Not sure if they've added the Transit yet. On Ford Class Cs and Bs based on E-Series vans they work great at keeping heat out. Solar radiant heat is either reflected, or absorbed outside van, so practically all of the heat is kept from entering vehicle in first place. We've used them now for about 20 years and like them a lot. They are held in place by the doors, plus a couple of built-in magnets at bottom to keep wind from lifting them.

I've also seen them listed for Chevy, Sprinter, and ProMaster vans, so Transit model may be available.

Only real downside we have encountered is you can't see out (or in) which works for us for privacy, but limits view out unless taken off (which takes seconds but longer to fold for storage). They are cheap and leave small van-size cab area feeling more open.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:07 PM   #39

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
By the way, have you guys seen the forged alloy wheels available for 2018 DRW Transits? On pictures they look very sharp -- may be a nice factory option or future upgrade (although much more expensive afterwards).
Old 10-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #40

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjrappe View Post

That all being said.....we pulled the stock comforter off the bed and can say for sure that we have never seen a comforter fitted to all four corners. How is that supposed to be used? If at all. Is it just a bed cover when not sleeping?
I told my wife it is a mattress cover, she says comforter. It is big enough to fit a memory foam topper under is. But for now it functions as a very odd comforter.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall