Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #401

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'm not saying that you should "make the switch" to them...
But I've seen it many times: you'll just end up liking your ride even more!

yes, i think so too

2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:04 AM   #402

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Unhappy Compass Electrical Issue!

Just spent a wonderful but hot three day weekend "shakedown cruise" at a local State Park in sunny Southwest Florida. First time out for our Compass 23TR and all worked as expected. Actually above expectations! Very happy with the Compass. Pulled into our yard and plugged it into the 30amp service connected to our house. All was fine. Set the AC to 88 degrees to keep down the humidity. Put the coach to bed!

HOWEVER, went into the coach today to get something I had left and ... NO POWER! I checked the breakers both on the house sub-panel and in the coach breaker/fuse box. Nothing wrong, nothing tripped and all fuses are fine. Clicked the Battery Switch to "use" and lights and all 12v DC items working properly. Started the generator, it ran fine but never switched to 120v AC.

I will make an appointment with the dealer, fortunately just 10 miles up the road, but? Anyone have any issues like this? Everything has been fine - power wise!

Paul
Old 06-13-2018, 03:44 AM   #403

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
HOWEVER, went into the coach today to get something I had left and ... NO POWER! I checked the breakers both on the house sub-panel and in the coach breaker/fuse box. Nothing wrong, nothing tripped and all fuses are fine. Clicked the Battery Switch to "use" and lights and all 12v DC items working properly. Started the generator, it ran fine but never switched to 120v AC.

Hi Paul, glad your shake down cruise went well!

I always leave my switch in the "use" position while on shore power (i.e. while plugged into 30amp service). I wonder if your AC would have cycled on while in that mode? That way you'd also be keeping your house (coach) batteries topped up too. Also, I wonder if changing the temp setting would have triggered your AC...I find that controller still a bit of a mystery.
Anyways, hope it is an easy fix (the best kind;-)
Nancy
Old 06-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #404

THOR #9752
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
Hi Paul, glad your shake down cruise went well!

I always leave my switch in the "use" position while on shore power (i.e. while plugged into 30amp service). I wonder if your AC would have cycled on while in that mode? That way you'd also be keeping your house (coach) batteries topped up too. Also, I wonder if changing the temp setting would have triggered your AC...I find that controller still a bit of a mystery.
Anyways, hope it is an easy fix (the best kind;-)
Nancy
Thanks for the reply, but the Air Con is not the problem. There is no power besides the 12v lights from the coach batteries. Nothing that needs house current 120v is working. The inverter seems to be dead. Probably just a bad part from the supplier. A friend of mine had to have the inverter in his 5th Wheel replaced when it died within his first month of ownership.

Interesting suggestion about keeping the batteries in "use" position when plugged into shore power. I was under the impression you only switched from store to use when there was no shore power available or when wanting to start the generator for power.

Thanks again,

Paul
Old 06-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #405

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
That use/store switch can be very confusing. It should be labeled house battery disconnect, on/off.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #406

THOR #9752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
That use/store switch can be very confusing. It should be labeled house battery disconnect, on/off.
What is the consensus for normal use of the battery switch?

--On when power is needed for lights, to start the generator or to run the fridge instead of using LP when not on shore power? Such as when driving and then once on shore power or generator - turn off?

Does that make sense?

I really don't have any idea if I did something to make the inverter quit or it was just a bad part that finally gave out. I always had the coach batteries off except in situations as stated above.

Any thoughts?

Paul
Old 06-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #407
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
That would almost make it too simple: wouldn't it?
But I DO agree!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #408
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
What is the consensus for normal use of the battery switch?

--On when power is needed for lights, to start the generator or to run the fridge instead of using LP when not on shore power? Such as when driving and then once on shore power or generator - turn off?

Does that make sense?

I really don't have any idea if I did something to make the inverter quit or it was just a bad part that finally gave out. I always had the coach batteries off except in situations as stated above.

Any thoughts?

Paul
Consensus is: Always in Use except for 1 condition: storing without being plugged in.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #409

Model: Compass 24TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10629
Hey Laco

Hi
Do you have any pics of your leveling system mounting on chassis?
still thinking about adding something to my TB
I find that when I put the slide out and crawl in to bed we lean a bit for than I would like

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #410

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgreene View Post
Hi
Do you have any pics of your leveling system mounting on chassis?
still thinking about adding something to my TB
I find that when I put the slide out and crawl in to bed we lean a bit for than I would like

Regards

Kevin
I don't, but Mercedes does not want anything welded or drilled into their frame, so HWH makes a bolt on kit. I had the dealer install it, and I know their tech spent hours on the phone with an HWH tech measuring clearances so they could get the right kit out. If you want, next time I am at storage, I can try to crawl under the MH and take some pics. Whatever and however the installation was done, I can say it works great, I love it. I had an HWH leveling system on my former 41 foot DP and loved the way it worked, and this one, other than not having to deal with the air and dump valve, works the same.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:23 PM   #411

Model: Compass 24TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10629
Quote:
I don't, but Mercedes does not want anything welded or drilled into their frame, so HWH makes a bolt on kit. I had the dealer install it, and I know their tech spent hours on the phone with an HWH tech measuring clearances so they could get the right kit out. If you want, next time I am at storage, I can try to crawl under the MH and take some pics. Whatever and however the installation was done, I can say it works great, I love it. I had an HWH leveling system on my former 41 foot DP and loved the way it worked, and this one, other than not having to deal with the air and dump valve, works the same.

I would like to see that. if you get a chance.

For now I'm going to mount some scissor jacks and see how that goes.
Not much room under there but I think I have a plan

kevin
Old 06-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #412

Model: 2018 Gemini 23 TR
State: Quebec
THOR #11163
Two mystery grey handles...

I have a question on grey water. In the compartment I can identify the black and grey water gate valves. Fine for now, I had the same on my TrailLite camper. A little behind there are two grey handles that operate cables. I am a bit confused... is the Gemini 23TR equipped with two separate grey water tank? How does it work? My guess is that you keep the main grey water gate valve closed and operate these two small handle to bring the grey water to the main gate? I usually go with «*trial and error*» but not a good idea to experiment with sewage water.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #413

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
There are two gray water tanks because of the limited space available underneath the chassis. I find having individual valves handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85C89CEB-20F5-4FFC-9201-FA31D057B514.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	10832  
Old 06-17-2018, 04:31 PM   #414

THOR #11163
Thank you vfrhugh, where did you get this plan? I looked all over to find one, but no luck. One picture (drawing) is worth a thousand words. One gray tank for the kitchen sink and the other one for the bathroom sink - makes sense.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #415
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I thought that it was a common practice to run the bathroom sink into the blackwater tank...

Learn something new every day!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #416

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Call Thor with your VIN number and ask for the drawings. They can search for what you might want. It’s not that straightforward on their end but they took care of me. I got everything they could find about electrical and plumbing for my 23TR.
Hugh
Old 06-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #417

THOR #11163
I will follow your advise and ask Thor. At one point they mention a water filter for the house. Drawings will answer if they do have one on the 23 TR (other than the pump), and where it is located. Thanks again for the quick response. This group is gold....
Old 06-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #418

Model: 23 TR
THOR #10954
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
There are two gray water tanks because of the limited space available underneath the chassis. I find having individual valves handy.
Thanks for the diagram, it was great.

I have added above the gray water pipe in the {termination trunk} a storage pipe to hold my dump hose. It is great and frees up 1 storage compartment with a much easier way to use and store.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #419

THOR #11163
Campy, could you post pictures of your storage mod. I was looking at the option of bolting a storage tube under the frame. Curious how you managed.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #420

Model: 23 TR
THOR #10954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawsds View Post
Campy, could you post pictures of your storage mod. I was looking at the option of bolting a storage tube under the frame. Curious how you managed.
It was pretty easy once I finally figured it out. I was going to do what you suggested in the bumper. Way better, to go over the gray water pipe in the area where your flush valves are located. I cut just above the gray water pipe and it fits in parallel to the bumper and can use ties to hold again this area as it is open. I will send a photo, but hard to take one the looks good enough to figure out. really nice to just open the back compartment and everything is there to use for the dump.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall