Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #541

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Compass 24TF
State: British Columbia
THOR #11939
Has Anyone Installed a Satellite Radio in their Compass?

Hi All
We are home from a mini trip in our Compass. The radio reception was poor to non existent. (we have travelled in the same are in a car and had much better reception) We wonder in anyone here has installed a satellite radio in a Compass or Gemini?
Also- when we tried to use the GPS our Axxera unhelpfully informed us that there was "No GPS Map"- Has anyone had this issue?

Apart from those problems the new Compass is great!

gera

Old 08-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #542

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Don't have the satellite radio but I do have the app on my iPhone and using Bluetooth it plays through the Jensen just fine. The cost is about 5 or 6 bucks a month since I have satellite radio in the car.

Good to hear you had a great trip.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #543

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Hi,
Just a few tips on what we learned over the years. When traveling we take along a 7 year old i-touch pad. I have over 900 songs on it , it's no bigger than a cell phone. W speakers no bigger than a shaving kit . iTunes is free also. For driving directions we use Google maps. I hear apple maps are very reliable. For both predetermined and undecided campgrounds we use park adviser app. It gives star ratings,pictures,amenities, and reviews . Also while using Google maps, u need gas, food, or even auto repair stores, it lists them locally. Last , a android phone is your best friend while traveling. I charge while traveling. Hope this helps. Also this forum is a goldmine for information.
Happy travels.......
Old 08-19-2018, 11:45 PM   #544

State: Missouri
THOR #12152
Hello everyone. We have new Gemini Tb purchased in June. Have 6000 miles and are enjoying it. This is our first rv so still learning.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:49 PM   #545
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53sawdust View Post
Hello everyone. We have new Gemini Tb purchased in June. Have 6000 miles and are enjoying it. This is our first rv so still learning.
Congratulations and welcome.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:45 AM   #546

Model: Thor Compass 24TF
State: British Columbia
THOR #11939
Thanks Mountain Sam, we are in Canada and I think our satellite reception using a mobile phone for radio reception would bankrupt us.
I think I need Canadian input on this one.

Gera
Old 08-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #547

Model: Gemini 24TX
State: Washington
THOR #11845
Replaced Auto relay Switch

After reading a number of posts on this forum and others about the issues with the generator relay transfer switch box wiring and the potential for poor connections and overheating I opted to replace with the box listed below which is the screw terminal version of the same manufacturer box that installed in my Gemini 24TX. Much more positive connections - takes some time to redo but box is identical in size and mounting. Biggest challenge is getting the Romex type 10 gauge wires arranged. Got box from Amazon for ~$93. Definitely worth it for piece of mind over the wire nutted connections previously.
Progressive Dynamics PD5110610V 5100 Series Automatic Transfer Switch - 120 VAC, 30 Amp w/Screw Connection
Tow 2017 Chevy Spark
hjd3021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:04 AM   #548

State: Iowa
THOR #10014
Has anyone filled any holes in the bottom of their Gemini and if so, what did you use? Is the foam filler good or should I use something else?
Old 08-21-2018, 12:47 AM   #549

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by debsmith93 View Post
Has anyone filled any holes in the bottom of their Gemini and if so, what did you use? Is the foam filler good or should I use something else?
I used the foam sealer around the low point drain outlets. A rat could have climbed in there but the sealer has held up well for 12 months and 8000 miles.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:12 AM   #550

Model: 2018 Gemini 23 TR
State: Quebec
THOR #11163
Winterizing instructions

Northern States/Canada Gemini owners, I am looking for a procedure and checklist to winterize my Gemini 23TR.
How do you add the antifreeze to your plumbing lines
Are low points situated in the cabinet, under the kitchen sink? Could not find anything else.
Need help on this one.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:35 AM   #551

Model: 2018 Gemini 23 TR
State: Quebec
THOR #11163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMike View Post
I had a problem getting my onboard tank refilled at two different places. It seems that Thor forgot to put the rubber gasket on the fill port. Got lucky that one of the RV stores in town had one on the shelf. Would have meant a cancelled trip.
Hi Mike,
Do you have a picture of this missing rubber gasket? And were it is supposed to be placed on the fill port. Just want to check it out before I show up for my first propane refill.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #552

Model: Compass 24TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10629
solar??

Hi All,

Has anybody put solar on their roof yet?

Planning on a 400 watt install

Kevin
Old 08-23-2018, 06:49 PM   #553

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
I started my generator Tuesday but it wasn’t producing 120vac. Eventually traced the problem to the generator mounted 30A breaker. Finding it was an an adventure. I don’t know when it tripped or why. It has worked fine in the past.

All the posts about faulty (extra resistance) wire nut connections made me check out the transfer switch. I didn’t find any burnt connections but they were sketchy. Trying to use wire nuts to join 10awg solid to multi strand wire is problematic. Replaced the nuts with brass screwed connectors. & heat shrink.

Thinking I might as well check the generator connection led me to another “wire nut” splice under the home. I used another splice kit for this also.

It’s always something
Hugh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22C29CB7-56D4-41FF-99E4-A00A74D23ACD.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	12405   Click image for larger version

Name:	D85BABA7-EEE3-4584-A39D-8779EEA50F3C.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	12406  

Click image for larger version

Name:	D35554A4-F8BC-49C5-9A6F-6629A5F086A4.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	12407   Click image for larger version

Name:	ED19E0B5-F1AD-41F2-9341-7D9CC5450B16.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	12408  

Old 08-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #554

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
I started my generator Tuesday but it wasn’t producing 120vac. Eventually traced the problem to the generator mounted 30A breaker. Finding it was an an adventure. I don’t know when it tripped or why. It has worked fine in the past.

All the posts about faulty (extra resistance) wire nut connections made me check out the transfer switch. I didn’t find any burnt connections but they were sketchy. Trying to use wire nuts to join 10awg solid to multi strand wire is problematic. Replaced the nuts with brass screwed connectors. & heat shrink.

Thinking I might as well check the generator connection led me to another “wire nut” splice under the home. I used another splice kit for this also.

It’s always something
Hugh
Hugh,

Great work - thanks for the photos and advice. Where is the transfer switch? Appears to be under a drawer.

Paul
Old 08-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #555

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Transfer switch locations

On my 23tr the transfer switch is under the kitchen counter drawer. The 4”x4” box under the motor home is used to connect the generator pig tails to house wiring.
Hugh
Old 08-24-2018, 04:47 PM   #556

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
rear axle seal leakind

when I installed my sumo springs I notice a leak on the rt rear backing plate, So off to ford to have it fixed,Yep axle seal,had to order 2/3 days to get the seal ,they told me kind of a known problem,They have a updated seal.

Mike
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:03 PM   #557

Model: gemini 24 tf
State: Labrador
THOR #12855
Angry gemini tf24

hello
just completed my first trip with my gemini tf24 and here is what I think. The vehicle is a mercedes sprinter, excellent product. powerful and economical. no comment. However the vehicle is overloaded, its weight is too big for the capacity of its rear suspension. The blades are straight even though I had firestone air balloons installed.
As a result when I open the long slide out, the vehicle slumps down the side of the slide out. Stabilizers are of no use. I wonder a lot about the weight of this slide out which I think is too big for the vehicle. In addition, it touches a few places on the floor. Do other members have these problems? If so, there are solutions. I now have fears about this motorhome.
thank you Sylvain
Old 08-26-2018, 12:07 AM   #558
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
hello
just completed my first trip with my gemini tf24 and here is what I think. The vehicle is a mercedes sprinter, excellent product. powerful and economical. no comment. However the vehicle is overloaded, its weight is too big for the capacity of its rear suspension. The blades are straight even though I had firestone air balloons installed.
As a result when I open the long slide out, the vehicle slumps down the side of the slide out. Stabilizers are of no use. I wonder a lot about the weight of this slide out which I think is too big for the vehicle. In addition, it touches a few places on the floor. Do other members have these problems? If so, there are solutions. I now have fears about this motorhome.
thank you Sylvain
Have you taken your coach to a scale and had it weighed? Compare that against the GVWR of your chassis. That will tell you if its overloaded or not.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:26 AM   #559

Model: gemini 24 tf
State: Labrador
THOR #12855
hello
i did not. But honestly i think i travelled light. I will ask my dealer to check because i think it's not normal.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:47 AM   #560

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Lots of RVs lean a bit to one side. My Freedom Elite 26 always leaned to the left and was a bunch worse with its slide out. I expect it was worse still with DW and me sleeping in it. I asked a trusted truck suspension guy about it and he said it doesn’t have any effect on the vehicle. He could “fix” it by putting a small helper spring on the heavy side but of course it wouldn’t change the weight distribution-only the way the box sits on the chassis. Once I started looking at other rigs leaning (that I’d never noticed until I had one) I decided not to worry about it and go camping. These are heavy machines and until you weigh yours compared to the GVWR you won’t know. If you are within specs you probably just need to get used to the thing. I expect there are a great many RVs that are overweight though.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall