Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #641

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #13347
I have 2002 Pleasure Way Lexor and love it but want to update to something newer. Would love to stay at 20ft but nothing works that is out there. looked at the Gemini/Compass TR and TB but have some concerns. I'm 70 and in not so good shape so fixing the little things I've read is a problem. My closest dealer is over an hour and a half away. I have a few questions and seems this is a good thread to use. 1. Can you park in a normal parking space at 23.6' 2. Is there a hand crank for the slide out in case your motor stops working? 3. can a car seat for my grandchildren be used on the back couch? Thanks for any information I can get.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #642

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TB
State: Virginia
THOR #11030
The average length of most parking spaces is 20 feet. So a little of a compass will stick out some. A little tight but not impossible.
The awning can be jump started by removing the end cap and using any 12volt source, I'm not sure where the nut is where you can put a drill on it to roll up the awning.
Any place where their is a seat belt you should be able to put a child seat.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:13 AM   #643

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
If you are referring to the couch in the very back of the 23TR it is under the bed slide when the slide is retracted for travel, the front couch should take a car seat but I don't know as to the safety sitting sideways.

As for the parking in a normal parking space, I do it all the time.

The repairs are pretty easy. I have beaten my body up pretty bad for 73 years and haven't had any problems with minor repairs and maintenance.

As for the slide retraction I don't know. I guess I better investigate that for my own knowledge.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #644

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13340
Fit and Finish

Hi.. Newbie here..

We looked at a Gemini 23TR yesterday for the first time. We have a Lance Travel Trailer and we are interested in moving to a Class B+/C.

The unit is a 2018 leftover. I was surprised at the very poor Fit and Finish. Walls were buckled, Refer door cover was coming off, There was even a leak under the bathroom sink.

I know these are all things that can be fixed, but why would the Dealer not fix them and make the Motorhome more appealing and sale-able?

We did not even take it for a test drive we were so turned off by it's appearance.

We also looked at a GR22 which was much better in Fit/Finish but we were hoping to find something a little more compact. We looked at some Pleasure-Ways and I think that spoiled us. Of coursed they are twice the money.

Oh well, the search goes on..

Joe
Old 10-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #645

THOR #13347
Keep Looking:

Hi Joe, was at the RV show yesterday in Pomona California and looked at many motor homes. I have a 2002 Pleasure Way and yes they spoil you. I'll tell you one thing however your a customer for life with them. After 17 years I can still call them up for help or information on my coach. Try looking at the Winnebago Fuse A or T model. We are now leaning towards that.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:33 PM   #646

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitow View Post
Hi Joe, was at the RV show yesterday in Pomona California and looked at many motor homes. I have a 2002 Pleasure Way and yes they spoil you. I'll tell you one thing however your a customer for life with them. After 17 years I can still call them up for help or information on my coach. Try looking at the Winnebago Fuse A or T model. We are now leaning towards that.
Yes, I too have found Winnebago quality to be better than most..

Joe
Old 10-12-2018, 05:56 PM   #647
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
A question about the Sprinter Chassis...

How long does that tank of DEF last?
Where to you go to buy that stuff?

Okay: TWO questions!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #648

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Hi:
Brand new member here but not to RVing. We've owned 2 motorhomes in the past - but have just purchased a new (2019) Compass 23TR. Since we live in the Yukon (right next door to Alaska), we have not brought it home yet. Travelling a couple thousand miles at this time of the year (it's already dipping to -10C - that's 14 F - at night) does not appeal to us. We'll wait till spring.
We forgot to take measurements of the drawers and cabinets (especially the kitchen). Are these available anywhere? My wife is looking at kitchen utensils and wants to make sure things fit.
One last point. In the registration process for these forums, there's no Yukon option. Who would I ask about changing that? (Any questions about the Alaska Highway? We've been up and down it quite a few times.)
Grant
Old 10-12-2018, 09:56 PM   #649
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Welcome aboard!
How about some pictures of your newest "Pride & Joy"?
Old 10-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #650

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongrant View Post
Hi:
Brand new member here but not to RVing. We've owned 2 motorhomes in the past - but have just purchased a new (2019) Compass 23TR. Since we live in the Yukon (right next door to Alaska), we have not brought it home yet. Travelling a couple thousand miles at this time of the year (it's already dipping to -10C - that's 14 F - at night) does not appeal to us. We'll wait till spring.
We forgot to take measurements of the drawers and cabinets (especially the kitchen). Are these available anywhere? My wife is looking at kitchen utensils and wants to make sure things fit.
One last point. In the registration process for these forums, there's no Yukon option. Who would I ask about changing that? (Any questions about the Alaska Highway? We've been up and down it quite a few times.)
Grant

wow, that is great the thor web site does not show a 2019 compass 23tr
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:52 PM   #651

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
How long does that tank of DEF last?
Where to you go to buy that stuff?

Okay: TWO questions!
question 1. A long time. 14000 miles and mine has been topped off twice. Less than three gallon each time.
question 2. Auto parts store, Walmart, most service stations, I am surprised you haven’t tripped over a pallet of it.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #652
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We've just started looking at Sprinter-based RVs. I've got no base of info on diesels yet.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #653

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
New Compass Owner

Just back from our 4 day shake down cruise and was very impressed with the
Ford diesel and how the MH handled even in windy conditions. Figured out the hot water heater and it just take time getting used to it and how it works. The shower curtain is a problem and had water running on to the floor and figured out that water was running over the shower pan lip so will be also figuring out how of rectify that. Used all of the systems except for the furnace as we use a small ceramic heater to heat the inside.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #654

THOR #7466
Quote:
We've just started looking at Sprinter-based RVs. I've got no base of info on diesels yet.

remember to ck the cost of maintenance on that chassis too,& locations of dealers when traveling.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 10-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #655

THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
Just back from our 4 day shake down cruise and was very impressed with the
Ford diesel and how the MH handled even in windy conditions. Figured out the hot water heater and it just take time getting used to it and how it works. The shower curtain is a problem and had water running on to the floor and figured out that water was running over the shower pan lip so will be also figuring out how of rectify that. Used all of the systems except for the furnace as we use a small ceramic heater to heat the inside.

great, keep us updated on the shower situation,luv my gemini.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 10-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #656

THOR #6701
Quote:
Bob

Are you considering downsizing.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:14 PM   #657
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Bob

Are you considering downsizing.
Yup! We're going to try and re-arrange our priorities for space utilization a little bit. We're now considering the Outlaw to have been our "Baby Steps" RV...
Old 10-13-2018, 11:56 PM   #658

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Several things, the showers are small, and the problem is not so much the shower curtain, but with the supplied shower head mount, you can not angle the water flow away from the shower curtain. I mounted a different mount, a bar, so the shower head can be slid up or down, angled in any direction and locked in place. Water on bathroom floor problem solved. DEF will generally be used slowly, especially at highway speeds. The more you drive in stop and go traffic, and the more it idles, the faster DEF will be consumed. Most have some sort of gauge indicator, on mine, there is a button on the dash, which will for about 10 seconds convert the fuel gauge to a DEF gauge, so its pretty easy to monitor its consumption. Mercedes advised me to add to it, before the low DEF light goes on, as it will sometimes not reset and then requires a trip to the dealer. On mine, with the gauge, its easy to monitor, so I add when it gets close to or at the halfway point, which is at least 5 to 8 tanks of fuel. I am, BTW, completely sold on the Sprinter based RV's. They are great driving, and according to an independent mechanic I sometimes use, just about bullet proof. So far the worst problem I have had, is after a year or so, the oil needs to be changed.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:50 AM   #659
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Glass doors work better than curtains anyway.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #660

State: Arizona
THOR #13161
Towing

Does anyone tow a Jeep Wrangler?

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall