Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2019, 01:52 AM   #861

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
...snip....
I guess I should next invest in one of those swing down hitch mounted spare carriers. I have only heard of one person going that route. Has anyone else tried one out? It seems to be the most obvious choice with the rear bedroom slide. I don't think I want to drag a mounted spare in and out from under the sofa.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1550364018
Hi mountainsam,
I have a hitch mounted cargo carrier that I tote around stuff that I don't want inside. If I pack it right, I can push the slide out above it --great for while in transit --I save unloading and loading each night. So far my bike and an oversized dog crate fit but I imagine a tire would as well. I have a cable lock I use to lock items to the carrier and I have a hitch lock to keep the carrier attached;-)
Nancy

Old 02-17-2019, 01:54 AM   #862

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
OK, I did what I said I wasn't going to do. I ordered a wheel for the spare tire I all ready have.

During a spring cleaning a couple weeks ago I removed the wheel caps and cleaned the wheels. When I put the caps back on I pinched one of the valve stems under the cap and tightened down the locking nuts. Well yesterday I noticed a very low tire. I aired it up and drove to the tire store, had a new valve stem inserted and drove home. This morning the tire was flat. So I aired it up and back to the tire store.

Turns out the extension was damaged and thats where the air was escaping. So now on the hunt for a new set of extensions. After two flats in two days I decided to order the rim for the rimless spare we carry under the sofa. If we had been on the road this would have caused two road service callouts.

I guess I should next invest in one of those swing down hitch mounted spare carriers. I have only heard of one person going that route. Has anyone else tried one out? It seems to be the most obvious choice with the rear bedroom slide. I don't think I want to drag a mounted spare in and out from under the sofa.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1550364018

I used the Roadmaster (19522, I think it is) swing down tire carrier on my coach and it is a fine piece of kit. Super heavy duty and will last you through several coaches. It was designed for heavy duty with huge 22 inch class A wheels but works just as well with smaller ones. Don’t forget to rig up some sort of lock out/ tag out so you don’t open your slide with it still in the stowed position! I’m not currently using mine but probably will do so after I buy new tires next year. I’m going to keep my best old tire for a spare. I’m going to be totally bummed if I have a flat with my carrier unused at home!
Old 02-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #863

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
new recall sort of

Yesterday i recieved a letter from Ford concerning the 3.2 diesel EGR cooler. Seems they are, or some are defective so Ford extended the warranty for the cooler plus labor to 11 years or 120,000 miles if the vehicle falls within the range suspected of possible future issues. They will also supply a rental car and the warranty is automatically transferred to future owners.
So I went to a Ford Forum and read there has been a problem with some of them. The symptoms seem to be unexplained loss of coolant. So keep an eye on it. They say there are no signs of leaks so make sure you check under the hood occasionally. Stay safe and Happy RVing
Old 02-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #864

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I used the Roadmaster (19522, I think it is) swing down tire carrier on my coach and it is a fine piece of kit. Super heavy duty and will last you through several coaches. I’m going to be totally bummed if I have a flat with my carrier unused at home!
I have my eye on the Roadmaster but it is quite pricy. I have also thought about designing my own that will sit high enough to avoid possible road contact, far enough out to allow use of rear storage and low enough to not interfere with the slide. I don't weld anymore but I have a son that does fanastic work in his spare time. And then the best place for it might be exactly where the spare casing is now, under the couch.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:26 PM   #865

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Quote:
Yesterday i recieved a letter from Ford concerning the 3.2 diesel EGR cooler. Seems they are, or some are defective so Ford extended the warranty for the cooler plus labor to 11 years or 120,000 miles if the vehicle falls within the range suspected of possible future issues. They will also supply a rental car and the warranty is automatically transferred to future owners.
So I went to a Ford Forum and read there has been a problem with some of them. The symptoms seem to be unexplained loss of coolant. So keep an eye on it. They say there are no signs of leaks so make sure you check under the hood occasionally. Stay safe and Happy RVing

Hello,We do not go to ford unless we have a problem?
Thanks
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:08 PM   #866

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
Hello,We do not go to ford unless we have a problem?
Thanks
Thats what I understand. Just and extended warrenty to cover it if it fails withing 11 years or 120,000 miles.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:34 AM   #867

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #13710
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkirk View Post
Ok 2017 Gemini owners.
Been getting dizzy researching replacement of jackknife couch with reclining couch . (Picture love seat w left and right reclining) any body else do it ? My width is 64 inches max, (can be smaller). Have about 5' folded out , w space 4" from counter. Also 22" entry door. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Check Recpro recliners, we installed one in our Hurricane 35M and love it. They probably have one that will fit.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:48 AM   #868

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Quote:
Thats what I understand. Just and extended warrenty to cover it if it fails withing 11 years or 120,000 miles.

Thanks, 10-4
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:07 AM   #869

Model: Gemini 24TX
State: Washington
THOR #14302
kwikee steps not retracting.

Yeah, learned I can do this seemingly simple repair. My steps would not retract all the way and I had places to see, fun to live. Checked YouTube and Will Prowse (a really bright and capable young man) posted how to fix video: . The only really hard part was pulling the pin loose from the motor arm. Had to pull the motor first to get it loose. I didn't realize we are supposed to lube the stairs. Every thirty days seems a little excessive.

Got some questions for you good folks. Have you had the alignment done after the couch is fully loaded? The Thor manual says we should.

Anybody get those tire air tube extenders? How do you inspect the inside tires? How hard is it to change an RUV tire? Any special jacks you carry?

The more I learn, the more I know I "don't know"
PennyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:52 AM   #870

THOR #6701
PennyT,

Yup we had our alignment done and very little adjustment was required. Still glad I did it for the piece of mind. So I would recommend it.

Yes, I have valve stem extensions on our 23TR.

The tires wouldn't be hard to change if you have the spare, a hydraulic jack, proper tire wrench, long enough for plenty of leverage and a socket to remove tire cap lock nuts and your 25. Easiest method is to dial your road service. Doesn't hurt any to carry a spare or at least a new tire without rim. Let your service know what you have or don't have. They can send the appropriate service truck.

Safe travels

Sam
Old 03-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #871

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Ok gemi heads,
So , I delayed resealing roof seam above driving compartment on roof last fall. Live in central illinois, had a tough winter. Was stored under pavilion. Went out to start camper and noticed water stains on head liner. Next to sun window. Will reseal outside when temperatures get 40°. How would I either clean headliner or take off and replace. Noticed it's in sections. Or even cut out stains and glue new new stuff over old. Any suggestions?Click image for larger version

Name:	20190310_112244.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	16148
Old 03-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #872

THOR #6701
Sorry to see that. The skylight isn’t my favorite feature because of this possibility. After taking a peak at mine my first suggestion would me to pull the trim piece so you can look behind the effected panel. The trim is stuck up there with Velcro and what ever buttons the dealer added to keep it up. I don’t know if you could match the color and apply a spray paint on it. Thor CS May help. Let us know how this turns out. Good luck
Old 03-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #873

THOR #6701
Jdkirk,

Any chance that is mildew. Possibly spray some cleaner to clean it up. You say you parked it under a pavilion so it seems condensation would be more likely the issue than a leak.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #874

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Induction Cooktop Conversion

Has anyone out there changed their induction cooktop to a two burner propane
stove. I plan on doing a lot of dry camping on our trip to Alaska this year and feel that propane would be better than an electric cooktop. If you did, how difficult was it to do?
Thanks
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 03-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #875

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
stove. I plan on doing a lot of dry camping on our trip to Alaska this year and feel that propane would be better than an electric cooktop. If you did, how difficult was it to do?
Thanks
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
I have not made this conversion, but have had the same thought about dry camping. My solution is to carry a 2 burner propane camp stove which runs off of 1 pound propane bottles. I like the induction cooktop when we have shore power, but propane would make more sense for boondocking!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #876

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
Thanks
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Our Compass comes with a two burner propane stove - so not much help except to say it's possible. As for your trip - hope you enjoy it. We live in the Yukon. Our shakedown trip will be to bring our new RV from Vancouver to Whitehorse - 2000 miles. We've been up and down the highway dozens of times.
You can find some amazing sites for dry camping on the way. But there are really good serviced campgrounds too. There are vast stretches of wilderness - but it's not nearly as isolated and rugged as many think. I'd be happy to answer any of your questions - or at least provide links to help you plan.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #877

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Quote:
Jdkirk,

Any chance that is mildew. Possibly spray some cleaner to clean it up. You say you parked it under a pavilion so it seems condensation would be more likely the issue than a leak.
Update on water stains.
So weather let up in central Illinois. I climbed onto roof and cleaned seam. Then put a strip of eternabond tape over seal. While up there realized that window seal may be the cause. So now I'm going work on laying a seal around window from outside. Any comment s are appreciated.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:16 AM   #878

Model: Gemini 24TX
State: Washington
THOR #14302
As a landlord in Wetlands/mold country WA I have found the best mold clean is "scrubbing bubbles with bleach". It is actually the only cleaner that has worked for me.

The more I learn, the more I know I "don't know"
PennyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #879

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Induction Cooktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongrant View Post
Our Compass comes with a two burner propane stove - so not much help except to say it's possible. As for your trip - hope you enjoy it. We live in the Yukon. Our shakedown trip will be to bring our new RV from Vancouver to Whitehorse - 2000 miles. We've been up and down the highway dozens of times.
You can find some amazing sites for dry camping on the way. But there are really good serviced campgrounds too. There are vast stretches of wilderness - but it's not nearly as isolated and rugged as many think. I'd be happy to answer any of your questions - or at least provide links to help you plan.
Thanks for the offer and think we have enough information, bought the Milepost and the Alaska and Yukon camping guide plus all of the information from Alaska and Yukon travel websites plus have watched a few YouTube videos that are also very good. I looked into converting the induction to propane and it is possible but would mean new countertop and gas hook up
extension so have bought a small butane single burner stove and use it inside if needed but am also well aware of making sure there is a lot of ventilation and have the fans running to get rid of any gasses or smells
Coveman2
Old 03-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #880

State: Nevada
THOR #14577
2019 Gemini Sky 3 WiFi extender

According to YouTube, there is supposed to be an on/ off switch for this. We have a Gemini 23tb. Searched everywhere for a switch. Can’t find it. Our electronics are above fridge. Hard to see up there. Any thoughts ?

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall