Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2018, 08:36 PM   #161

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
I too went to the Ford site and entered my VIN --getting the FSA --but not the recall for the injection pump. I have not called my local Ford dealership yet to see about resolving the FSA. When I called the local Ford dealership about an oil change they said they could not handle the size of my 23TR. Expecting that again so have delayed acting on the FSA. I would be interested in what is entailed if anyone get this work done and any recall info. Nancy

I went to the Ford dealer this morning and made an appointment for Tuesday to get the FSA taken care of. The service manager told me it is a reprogram that will allow portable handheld scanners to read codes. So it seems to be an upgrade rather than a performance issue. It will be done while I wait so not a big deal. I'll be taking it for a 30-40 mile drive after to make sure all is right.

Sam

Just found this.
REASON FOR THIS EMISSION RECALL

In the affected vehicles, aftermarket scan tools may not be able to view One-Trip Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). The California Air Resources Board (CARB) has requested that Ford conduct a recall of the affected vehicles to correct this condition.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:58 AM   #162

THOR #6701
I had the FSA reprogram today. It took them about 45 minutes.

Tomorrow I am having a wheel alignment at a truck suspension shop. I will be surprised if any adjustment is necessary looking at lack of tire wear. Manager at the suspension shop recommended SumoSprings. He said no matter how good it drives now it will be better with the SumoSprings. I guess any reduction of push from passing trucks and cross wind would be a good thing but it isn't really all that bad now. Any comments on the SumoSprings are welcome.

Also got my letter today that my one year warranty is up.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:57 AM   #163

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Sumo Springs

You probably saw this on their website: "Are you an R.V. owner? Do you own a truck/van used for recreational purposes such as towing a boat? Are you looking for a smoother ride and want to dampen road noise and shock? Is your rear suspension not a leaf spring pack? Do you take your vehicle over rough terrain or off-road? If so, it sounds like you should check out SumoSprings."

https://www.supersprings.com/products/sumosprings/

Not sure I would consider this a necessity but I will be interested in how they work for you if you decide to go ahead. Nancy
Old 03-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #164
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Search on Sumo Springs here in the Forums: They work quite well for the E-Series (Class C's, Axis/Vegas units) and the F-53 RVs so its reasonable to believe that they probably help the Transit based units as well (since they are all Ford chassis).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #165

State: Florida
THOR #9606
I have not tried SumoSprings, but I have used Timbren products on my Silverado 3500HD. Night and day driving experience when towing my 18000lb fifth wheel.

I realize that's not the same as the Transit 350HD, but the effect is the same. Under load, those Timbren "springs" softened the road, leveled my truck and trailer a bit more, and gave me a confident feel when driving.

When I shopped for a suspension support upgrade that was cheaper than air springs, I looked at Sumos. They just don't look durable......but that just my opinion.

YMMV
Old 03-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #166

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
I installed the Yellow Sumo Springs on my 2017 Gemini Transit 350 HD. Can not tell a significant difference in the ride but it did make a difference in the swaying and it seemed to raise the rear up a little. Over all I’m pleased with them.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:54 AM   #167

Model: Compass 23TB
State: Virginia
THOR #11030
Compass 23TB new owner

Hello All,
We expect our MH this Friday, very excited! We're not new to this as we just traded in our 2005 BT Cruiser after 13 years of faithful service. It was time.
I've read the entire thread that answered a lot of questions that I was thinking about. You guys with with those answers and suggestions...

I don't have any questions at this time but I need a
Recommendation for a solar suitcase.
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:29 AM   #168

THOR #5922
Solar suitcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by PupPup View Post
Recommendation for a solar suitcase.
Thanks in advance.
I am interested in adding solar too. I would consider roof mount BUT I already have issues with my single A/C --so I am thinking portable panel(s) that I could place in the sun (while my Gemini is in whatever shade is available) would be the best route for me. Nancy
Old 03-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #169

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
I’m looking to reduce the sway on my Compass 23 TR also. Did you do the installation yourself? Other than the safety risk, it doesn’t look to difficult of a job. Assuming the Sumos replace the stock bumpers. Which model number did you purchase?
Lots of questions but this it the first thing I’ve run across that might be worth while.
Thanks,
Hugh
Old 03-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #170

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
I’m looking to reduce the sway on my Compass 23 TR also. Did you do the installation yourself? Other than the safety risk, it doesn’t look to difficult of a job. Assuming the Sumos replace the stock bumpers. Which model number did you purchase?
Lots of questions but this it the first thing I’ve run across that might be worth while.
Thanks,
Hugh

Part # SSR-121-54 I order mine from ETrailer Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1521748734.619554.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	9422Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1521748767.933414.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	9423
Old 03-22-2018, 08:42 PM   #171

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
Thanks,
Hugh
Theres a video on YOU TUBE that covers the install. Would deffinantly be worth viewing.
Winnebago Fuse/Ford Transit SumoSpring Install SSR-121-54

Amazon has the best price at $266
Old 03-22-2018, 08:58 PM   #172

THOR #11029
On 2017 Gemini 23TR; how does one access the Onan generator for service?
Old 03-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #173

Model: Compass 23TR
THOR #7972
Although I haven’t changed the generator oil & filters yet I did crawl under my 23TR to see how to do it. I had to use a couple of floor jacks & jack stands to unload the springs enough get vertical room to work. Also used a piece of cardboard to slide on rather than a wheeled creeper. As always working under these things, safety safety safety! Never put oneself in a single point failure situation.
Hugh
Old 03-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #174

THOR #11029
Gemini 23TR Generator access

Thank you, Hugh.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:47 PM   #175

Model: Gemini 23TB
State: Georgia
THOR #10886
Fuel/water separator

Hi all, this is my first post as my wife and I just purchased a Gemini 23TB. I appreciate the helpful comments and have had similar issues as most of you. We are diesel engine virgins so I'm trying to get up to speed on maintenance. A friend who is a long time diesel truck owner mentioned the importance of purging the fuel/water separator regularly for various reasons. So far, I've not been able to locate this device. You tube videos for the standard Ford Transit show it being roughly under the driver's seat mounted to the chassis (from underneath the vehicle ). It doesn't appear to be there from what I see. Anyone familiar with its location? Thanks in advance!
Mac Graham
Old 03-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #176

THOR #6701
I have owned three diesel pickups and now this ford transit diesel and have never purged the water/fuel separator. In fact I can’t even recall seeing one. I did however see them on a couple larger diesels I have driven. I make it a habit of changing fuel filters every other oil change ( 16k to 20k). I also only buy fuel from stations that seem to sell a lot of diesel. I figure it’s fresher fuel with less chance of contaminates. I also never buy DEF at the pump. Modern diesels are usually no more demanding than a typical gas engine. Hope you enjoy your new rig as much as we enjoy ours.

Sam
Old 03-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #177

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Have had diesels for 12 + years, an 8.9L in the DP I used to have and the little 3.0L in the Gemini. Other than a separate water separator filter in the 8.9L which I changed at every service, along with the fuel filter, I never worried about it, and never had a problem. Have to be honest, don't even know for sure what the 3.0L has, but since the Mercedes dealer services it, I know they won't be shy about telling me what it might need and when.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:52 AM   #178

Model: Compass 23TB
State: Virginia
THOR #11030
Compass 23TB new owner

I'm not going to say anything here you haven't heard before so there won't be any surprises.
Everything worked at the dealership. We took it home and it drove great.( 17.2 mpg)

Here's what we discovered so far:

Coach Battery: dead. Overnight charge, dead. I thought I would upgrade but not on day one.

Fridge: Not working. Error code n. I looked into resetting it but just looked too difficult to get at and resetting may not fix what caused the error.

Jenson Radio: Reception bad, yes we know all about it. Found the antenna wire and rerouted it. FM much better but still no AM reception. Does it have AM?

Hinge screws: !!! Better screws and glue for now.
All other systems seem to be in working order. Our camping trip next month will be our real shake down cruise.
We're waiting on the dealer to get some parts and set an appointment.
I'm sure that after these problems are fixed we're going to love this Compass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compass23tb.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	9499  
Old 03-28-2018, 01:18 AM   #179

THOR #5922
Hi and welcome to the thread!
Working the bugs out is a bit of a trial but I love my Gemini;-)
My fridge would only work on the lp mode until the dealership replaced the "eyebrow" which was the control panel above it. Of course on the phone they suggested I press harder (didn't work and I sure didn't want to cause any damage that could be considered user error) You might check to see if you can clear the air from the line (on /off a few time in the lp mode) so at least one mode works. Nancy
Old 03-28-2018, 01:42 AM   #180

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Yes working those bugs out that first year is a genuine PITA for sure. On the Jensen, yes it does have AM, but on mine, there was never an antennae connected to it. Dealer installed an antennae on the side, just outside where the Jensen is mounted, which took care of that problem. Have had our share of screws come out, and needed to be filled and glued back in. None of the fixes have come loose. As far as your house batteries, I'm guessing you have the two 12 volt batteries like I do, ours have been ok, so far. Haven't decided for sure, yet, but when I replace, I may go to two deep cycle 6 volt batteries, or maybe a pair of 12 volt AGM's. Our refrigerator have been ok, so far.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall