Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2019, 02:55 AM   #781

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
I have the same model but one year older and have not experienced any distortion in the walls or the cabinets. I will be taking a good look tomorrow. Is there any particular reason Thor says is causing this?

Old 01-07-2019, 03:51 AM   #782

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
I have the same model but one year older and have not experienced any distortion in the walls or the cabinets. I will be taking a good look tomorrow. Is there any particular reason Thor says is causing this?
The dealer has not offered any explanation thus far...just replaced the warped walls. I am certainly glad we bought an extended warranty! Of course, the issue is the amount of time the rig will spend out of commission awaiting repairs. We live in the upper peninsula of Michigan, and summers are short to begin with!
Old 01-07-2019, 04:09 AM   #783

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
The dealer has not offered any explanation thus far...just replaced the warped walls. I am certainly glad we bought an extended warranty! Of course, the issue is the amount of time the rig will spend out of commission awaiting repairs. We live in the upper peninsula of Michigan, and summers are short to begin with!
We lived in Traverse City for 9 years and my favorite weather prediction was " We have three seasons; last winter, this winter and next winter." However, summers there however short are beautiful. I really miss Michigan.

I am wondering if your extreme temperatures have anything to do with the warping.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:34 AM   #784

THOR #11426
Quote:
We lived in Traverse City for 9 years and my favorite weather prediction was " We have three seasons; last winter, this winter and next winter." However, summers there however short are beautiful. I really miss Michigan.

I am wondering if your extreme temperatures have anything to do with the warping.
LOL! We like to say that in the UP, we have 9 months of winter, and 3 months of bad sledding!

You could be right about the temps causing the warping, but I would think that warmer climates would produce more expansion and warping than the cold climate. Plus this has been a relatively mild winter so far...
Old 01-07-2019, 05:45 AM   #785

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Sorry to hear of your warp problems RDC54, glad that you are getting what you see warped replaced but I wonder what might be not be visible? I would worry that ceiling panels or flooring might also be suffering from the moisture in /moisture out problem....hopefully your dealer will do a full inspection on your behalf. Nancy
Old 01-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #786

THOR #11426
KIB System Monitor

I was thrilled to see that Thor is finally posting downloadable manuals for my RV in the owners resource section of their website. Over 40 manuals listed for my 2018 Compass 23 TR, though there are some errors and omissions… Several duplicates, and the wrong manual listed for my refrigerator, and also for the rear view mirror back up camera.

There was no manual listed for the Jensen DVD player, and nothing for the KIB system monitor panel. I was able to find the Jensen manual from the Jensen website, but KIB Enterprises has nothing available on their website for the monitor panel.

I emailed customer support at Thor, and received a response stating that no manual was needed, because the panel was “self-explanatory as to its usage”. That was really helpful...

In our initial orientation, the dealer was unable to tell us what the letters “L, F, G, and C stood for (though he thought G was probably for Good). My question was whether there was any correlation between these letters and the actual level of charge on the batteries...

I never did get an answer from Thor on that question, but I did get some useful information from a subsequent email...I’ll copy what they wrote:

Old 01-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #787

THOR #11426
KIB monitor continued

“Do not expect for this to give you an accurate reading if the coach is plugged into shore power as the on board 12V convertor will be putting out 12DC current to charge the battery’s and the panel will see this voltage and all the lights will come on regardless of the actual charge in the battery’s. In fact you could completely unhook the battery’s and if plugged in the monitor panel will show them to be fully charged even though they are unhooked as it is reading the voltage coming out of the convertor.”

Were others aware of this?
Old 01-07-2019, 09:03 PM   #788

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Not sure what yours may stand for - but this youtube video - says it stands for C - Charging; G - Good; F - Fair; L - Low
Old 01-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #789

THOR #6701
Quote:
LOL! We like to say that in the UP, we have 9 months of winter, and 3 months of bad sledding!

You could be right about the temps causing the warping, but I would think that warmer climates would produce more expansion and warping than the cold climate. Plus this has been a relatively mild winter so far...
RDC54,

I took a flashlight out to our 23TR and found the same warp in the cabinet lower trim panel as you show. Not sure mine is quite as bulgy as yours but it is there.
I also found a warp on the back of the closet wall right about the level of the curtain valance. This is just a loose area, it pushes right back into place. There is really nothing to hold it in place unless there is/was glue on the back side.
Due to the fact that these are just very thin non supported trim I have zero concerns. I found no water intrusion anywhere and it has been raining for 2 days and nights. I still think it may be cold and damp temps. As you can see comparing the photos the flash on the camera makes it look worse than it is.

As for the battery readout, I did not know that but I did wonder why when I would plug it in it would instantly show full chttp://www.thorforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14http://www.thorforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14971&stc=1&d=15468991 84970&stc=1&d=1546899184harge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2751.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	14970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2756.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	14971  

Old 01-07-2019, 11:10 PM   #790

THOR #11426
Quote:
RDC54,

I took a flashlight out to our 23TR and found the same warp in the cabinet lower trim panel as you show. Not sure mine is quite as bulgy as yours but it is there.
I also found a warp on the back of the closet wall right about the level of the curtain valance. This is just a loose area, it pushes right back into place. There is really nothing to hold it in place unless there is/was glue on the back side.
Due to the fact that these are just very thin non supported trim I have zero concerns. I found no water intrusion anywhere and it has been raining for 2 days and nights. I still think it may be cold and damp temps. As you can see comparing the photos the flash on the camera makes it look worse than it is.

As for the battery readout, I did not know that but I did wonder why when I would plug it in it would instantly show full chttp://www.thorforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14http://www.thorforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14971&stc=1&d=15468991 84970&stc=1&d=1546899184harge.
Mountainsam,
I spoke with Thor customer service today, and described the problem. The customer rep initially said he had no idea why I am having this problem, and that I am the first person he has ever heard of who has had this problem. He then suggested that the problem was likely due to excess humidity. I don’t quite buy this, because two of the walls were warped when we took possession of the brand new camper. Presently the camper is packed full of Damp Rid (slight exaggeration, but only SLIGHT), and none of the containers of Damp Rid had accumulated any moisture. He suggested that I leave the vent slightly cracked open, to allow excess moisture to escape. Anyone else in the snow belt doing this?

About the KIB Monitor, I can’t tell you how many times I would be plugged into shore power, and would use the monitor to “check the batteries”, and think “Great! All charged up!” This is why a manual would come in handy!
Old 01-08-2019, 01:06 AM   #791

THOR #6701
As far as the moisture goes, would an open vent reduce or increase dampness? I did install a hood over my living room fan and I keep the vent open about 2 inches. I keep my rv in the drive way so I have access year around. I may warm up the inside a bit which will take out moisture and see if anything changes. We dont have extreme temps here or snow but it does get 100 percent humidity during the winter.

I think it probably is a bigger issue than Thor thinks. Most folks probably don't notice it or are not concerned.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #792

THOR #11426
Vent open or closed for storage?

Quote:
As far as the moisture goes, would an open vent reduce or increase dampness? I did install a hood over my living room fan and I keep the vent open about 2 inches. I keep my rv in the drive way so I have access year around. I may warm up the inside a bit which will take out moisture and see if anything changes. We dont have extreme temps here or snow but it does get 100 percent humidity during the winter.

I think it probably is a bigger issue than Thor thinks. Most folks probably don't notice it or are not concerned.
I have the same question as you, mountainsam, about what an open vent actually does. In the snow belt, especially, snow seems to find it's way into every crack and crevice. Our living room vent has a hood over it, but I still don't quite trust it. That's why I went with the damp rid. Plus, I don't believe the rig is exactly airtight...there are holes everywhere for all the wires and pipes to run!

I think you are right, the issue is bigger than that...It seems to me that every RV that travels will be exposed to variations in temperature and humidity. I don't know much about construction, but my theory is that Thor didn't make adequate allowances for normal expansion and contraction of the walls and shelving when they put the thing together.

As to most folks not noticing, I have to confess to a certain amount of OCDness...when I see something like a big bulge in the bedroom wall under the TV, I can't "unsee" it!
Old 01-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #793

THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongrant View Post
Not sure what yours may stand for - but this youtube video - says it stands for C - Charging; G - Good; F - Fair; L - Low
Thanks for the YouTube link, yukongrant! I had looked on YouTube, but was searching for a monitor that looked like mine, which is black and flush mounted in the wall.

I did stumble across something in a Google search which MIGHT answer my question. It was an article posted on another RV forum (can't remember which one) which looks like it came from a manual for KIB Monitors; I'll try to find the original link and post it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIB Monitor.PNG
Views:	83
Size:	658.3 KB
ID:	14993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monitor Panel Readout.PNG
Views:	128
Size:	456.6 KB
ID:	14994  

Old 01-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #794

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Quote:
Thanks for the YouTube link, yukongrant! I had looked on YouTube, but was searching for a monitor that looked like mine, which is black and flush mounted in the wall.

I did stumble across something in a Google search which MIGHT answer my question. It was an article posted on another RV forum (can't remember which one) which looks like it came from a manual for KIB Monitors; I'll try to find the original link and post it...

Hello,I have the same black panel & would like to know how to read generator hours without starting gen.
Thanks
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #795

THOR #11426
Found the link to the KIB Monitor Panel Manual:

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...0&d=1464375899

Safari, I don't know the answer to your question
Old 01-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #796

THOR #7466
Quote:
Found the link to the KIB Monitor Panel Manual:

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...0&d=1464375899

Safari, I don't know the answer to your question

ok, Thank You
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 01-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #797

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
Hello,I have the same black panel & would like to know how to read generator hours without starting gen.
Thanks
I am going by memory on this as I'm not in the RV to check it... The generator switch can (and should) be held in the STOP position for a few seconds to ensure fuel is sent before starting. I believe the hours are displayed on the meter while the generator switch is in the STOP position.

It hurts nothing to prove or disprove this!
Old 01-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #798

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
I am going by memory on this as I'm not in the RV to check it... The generator switch can (and should) be held in the STOP position for a few seconds to ensure fuel is sent before starting. I believe the hours are displayed on the meter while the generator switch is in the STOP position.

You are correct. Just tried mine and holding the stop switch for a few seconds does display the hr meter.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #799

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
GrannyMML,

Thank you for this info. I have had my 23TR for nearly 2 years and did not know about that information being so easily located. Thanks for sharing.

Sam
Yeah, would be nice if, when the dealers do a complete walk around (and the dealer makes sure everything works as it should), that the new owner records everything, every step. Guess maybe instead of all the books in 3 different languages, they give you a DVD with a copy instead. The owner keeps the log for work done, but the owners put the DVD in the computer on set up/ tear down, leveling ... etc. Step by step. Maybe even have a chapter for when to do prevent work, where the fluid sticks are located, tire presses.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #800

THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post

You & Mountainsam are correct Thank You both,Hold down the stop & get the hour reading on the gen The forum Members are the best.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall