Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #821

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
I posted 18 months ago about that issue. We where coming back home from the Midwest and our regen was coming up every 100-200 miles. If I had to shut down for fuel it would seem to clear for a few extra miles. When we got home I took it to the Ford dealer near us. They are a Ford Truck Fleet Dealer so work on a lot of diesels. After calls to Ford engineers they flashed and reprogrammed the computer. There was no charge and we have had zero issues in the past 11k miles.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:34 AM   #822

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
I’ve only put another 2K miles on since the engine computer update. No engine problems so far. Also not buying the “run it harder” dealer recommendation. I ran mine plenty hard from Orlando and had the symptoms repeat.
Hugh
Old 01-19-2019, 02:47 AM   #823

THOR #6701
I agree 100% with Hugh. Mine doesn't get babied.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:04 AM   #824

State: Maryland
THOR #11897
Cold Weather RVing

Hi Everyone,
We're new to the Forum and RVing. Last March, we bought a 2016 23 TR and really like the rig. We're currently finishing up our first long distance trip - East Coast to West Coast and return. We've tried to steer clear of cold weather by taking a southerly route, but as we head back to Maryland next week we're likely to run into temperatures in the low 20's. Our water lines do not currently have antifreeze in them. We'd like to avoid putting antifreeze in the lines and are asking for advice regarding what to do.

Thanks,
Bob & Liz Powell
Old 01-20-2019, 02:51 AM   #825

THOR #6701
If I was traveling through cold areas I would blow out the lines before heading out. This would require a small compressor. I would try to avoid using the grey tanks and black tank below freezing. Don't forget to turn on the tank heaters. Possibly add antifreeze to black and greys. I would also depend on bottled water and I would use rest area rest rooms when possible. And above all keep that propane tank topped off. Your water heater has an antifreeze protection as long as you have propane and 12 volt electric.

Your water lines are probably pretty safe while the coach is heated but the water pump is in an unheated compartment

There will be others with a lot more experience than me in cold weather but I have had camp trailers in Wyoming winters and never froze up.

Good Luck and Happy Trails
Old 01-27-2019, 11:41 PM   #826

Model: Gemini 24TX
State: Washington
THOR #14302
Cool Gemini 24tx issues

Bought mine in WA had 2000 miles on it. I guess it was driven to RV shows. I was amazed when I saw the shoddy build. My previous RV was an R-pod.
I take comfort in thinking that my money was spent on the Chassis.
Almost wish I had kept it now because it was built so much better. The thing I worry the most about it water, rust, wood rot. No vent above stove. Fixed by buying a little fan, to push air toward roof vent.
I have no complaints with the maintenance repairs and the RV shop that are working my check list: Slider bolts were not sinked causing shimmey. Shower pan water drained out because there was no lip on one section. Stove lighter quit, microwave takes 3 minutes to heat coffee. Roof seals had voids. Satalite is not picking up any channels. Half my garage locks don't work with key. I have keys with no use, and locks with no keys (they are still on order since 10/20). Missing 2 window screens. The biggest is the broken slider seal. I noticed that right away. It is beyond me how that got through QC. I cannot use my living room slider if its raining until that fixed (part is ordered). The list goes on, but I don't want to bore everyone.
Today, I learned that the garage door must be opened to keep the generator from over heating when running.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:13 AM   #827

THOR #6701
Sorry to hear about all those issues. What model do you have? The mileage was more than likely delivery miles.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:32 AM   #828

THOR #6701
PennyT, Most folks do like the Gemini/Compass brand but most have had to work through some issues. I hope you have a good dealer to work with. Our 23TR was in the shop for 6 months of its first year with only minor cosmetic issues. We have had it twice to the mid west without problems. The only thing I have added where Sumo shocks on the rear for about $250 and they made a world of differance in the drive. I hardly notice oncoming or passing trucks now.

There are lots of folks ready to help through the break in problems. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:36 AM   #829

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
PennyT, Most folks do like the Gemini/Compass brand but most have had to work through some issues. I hope you have a good dealer to work with. Our 23TR was in the shop for 6 months of its first year with only minor cosmetic issues. We have had it twice to the mid west without problems. The only thing I have added where Sumo shocks on the rear for about $250 and they made a world of differance in the drive. I hardly notice oncoming or passing trucks now.

There are lots of folks ready to help through the break in problems. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Mountainsam, did you install the Sumo shocks yourself? Or hire someone to do it? They have so many advocates on this forum that I’d like to have them installed on our 23TR, but can’t seem to find anyone locally to do it...thanks!
Old 01-28-2019, 02:05 AM   #830

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:

Yeah, I think when I got mine it had about 1600 miles on it and it had the trip paper from Elkhart in all those papers. Various check offs as I remember.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #831

THOR #14302
Winter camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsundown1 View Post
Hi Everyone,
We're new to the Forum and RVing. Last March, we bought a 2016 23 TR and really like the rig. We're currently finishing up our first long distance trip - East Coast to West Coast and return. We've tried to steer clear of cold weather by taking a southerly route, but as we head back to Maryland next week we're likely to run into temperatures in the low 20's. Our water lines do not currently have antifreeze in them. We'd like to avoid putting antifreeze in the lines and are asking for advice regarding what to do.

Thanks,
Bob & Liz Powell
Bob & Liz,
I have read up on winter camping, most folks say better safe then sorry. As an alternative to anti-freeze, you could purge the system of all liquid and carry water. As I understand it the biggest issue is the chill factor when driving. Also, if you use full hook up sites your pipes in/out will freeze unless you wrap them with heat tape and surround them with pipe foam.
Keep warm, the propane heater is pretty loud. The heat pump, does not work efficiently belo 45 degrees, get a catylitic heater. Many are now recommending Olympian Wave 3 Camco, Wave 8 as efficient and effective.
This is a check list I found that might help.
Tire chains
• Weather band radio
• Extra blankets
• Extra warm clothing
• Sleeping bags rated for zero degree temperatures
• 5 gallons of drinking water in heated storage space
• A “white gas” camping stove (does not require propane)
• Gasoline-powered generator
• Extra propane tanks
• Blow dryer to defrost pipes and tanks
• Emergency GPS system
• Extra food
• Solar charging panels are good for re-charging house batteries
• Cash for unexpected fees or emergencies

Enjoy and stay safe
Old 01-28-2019, 09:18 PM   #832

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
Mountainsam, did you install the Sumo shocks yourself? Or hire someone to do it? They have so many advocates on this forum that I’d like to have them installed on our 23TR, but can’t seem to find anyone locally to do it...thanks!
Actually I took mine to a local truck spring shop and they installed them for $90 if I remember correctly. I ordered the sumos.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:26 AM   #833

THOR #14302
Booster chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Unfortunately mine did not come with those boosters. Thor says not supplied with my model, despite it being on the Sprinter chassis, so I have dealer ordering a couple for me.
I have 2018 Gemini 24TX and it came with 2
Old 02-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #834

THOR #14302
Thank you everyone for your helpful posts. I have now read this entire thread. It has convinced me that for the most part I just need to maintain, keep a watchful eye and perform some basic preventative things. Still have lots of questions.

Does anyone have a good list of tools I should carry? Looking at replacing all screw with stainless steel (in leisure time). So I should just buy a bunch of different sizes to keep on hand. Any suggestions on sizes? Anybody purchase a moisture meter to check for possible leaks that are not yet showing? I currently have Xfinity mobile for cell phone. Cost ranges from 3.23 to 16/month depending on my data use. Does Xfinity work well for others on say the East coast or AZ area?
How about the down and dirty, Just how does one crawl onto that little space to hook up the dump hose? I put an elbow on, because my first try dumped sewage in the compartment as soon as I took the cap off. Not sure how one posts a picture. This is my first forum.

I plan to full time beginning in 6/19 till mom calls me home for her care needs. I will do my own oil changes and such to save $$. I found a folding ladder to carry in back basement for roof access.

My tip of the day is the best DIY window covering I have found:
Old 02-03-2019, 12:11 AM   #835

THOR #6701
I dont think I would just start changing screws unless necessary. These MH's have a history of screws not holding and it is possible, no probable, that you will strip many in the process. If you start changing them be sure you use some glue to help secure the new ones. And it would be a good idea to switch with one sized larger where possible. I would also buy them as I need them.

For cabinet doors there are a few good ideas for securing the hinges better. I used 1/4-20 SS stove bolts and fancy washers. Didn't have to remove the cabinet doors to do it.

As far as tools go, a small tool box with an assortment of screw drivers, a cordless driver or drill with an assortment of tips, 3 or 4 styles of plyers, wire cutters, tape measure, voltage tester, zip ties and as Bob Denman says, a platinum master card.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1549152532
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2755.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	15484  
Old 02-03-2019, 12:38 AM   #836

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
I dont think I would just start changing screws unless necessary. These MH's have a history of screws not holding and it is possible, no probable, that you will strip many in the process. If you start changing them be sure you use some glue to help secure the new ones. And it would be a good idea to switch with one sized larger where possible. I would also buy them as I need them.

For cabinet doors there are a few good ideas for securing the hinges better. I used 1/4-20 SS stove bolts and fancy washers. Didn't have to remove the cabinet doors to do it.

As far as tools go, a small tool box with an assortment of screw drivers, a cordless driver or drill with an assortment of tips, 3 or 4 styles of plyers, wire cutters, tape measure, voltage tester, zip ties and as Bob Denman says, a platinum master card.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1549152532
Heavy duty handles I see.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:36 AM   #837

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyT View Post
How about the down and dirty, Just how does one crawl onto that little space to hook up the dump hose? I put an elbow on, because my first try dumped sewage in the compartment as soon as I took the cap off....
Ha, ha Gemini/Compass owners have all faced the dump problem. I think if you discharged as soon as you took the cap off you did not have your black and gray valves closed!

So starting from the beginning, while looking into the little space you should see a black and gray handle (as well as the cap). The handles should be pushed "in" toward the body of your RV. This means your black and gray tanks are closed. The handles should be in this position all the time...until you are hooked up to a dump site.
Before you take the cap off you need to rotate the piece with the cap on it to face downwards (looking in you will see there is a hole directly below). This is not easy and folks have given up thinking it will never rotate but it does...
Once it is facing downwards, you then take the cap off and (there should be no discharge) attach your sewer hose (different brands but fairly universal connection) your right angle elbow can be used to connect the hose to the dump drain.
Once everything is secure you pull the black handle toward you (opening the black tank discharge) and wait while toilet water exits the holding tank. Once that stops, you "push in" the black handle (closing the black tank). Then you open the gray tank (sink and shower water) by pulling the gray handle towards you....and this flushes your hose. Once that finishes you push the gray handle in (closing the gray tank) and you now should be able to disconnect the hose etc from the RV without unexpected discharge;-)
Then you reverse the process by rotating the piece with the cap on it... pulling it back up into the little space and then replacing the cap.

The hard part (aside from the valve rotation) is working under the door (to the sewer bay) as it swings down---you are looking onto the little space and you need both hands to attach the sewer hose --it is always in the way!!!

There are many other "flushing" techniques you can add to this process --this is just the outline.

PS You will also see 2 smaller gray handles further back in the little space. I always leave these open (handles pull towards me). In my unit there are 2 gray tanks and these handles allow them to be shut independently.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #838

THOR #6701
One more thing. Keep a pair of knee pads handy.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #839

THOR #11426
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your helpful posts. I have now read this entire thread. It has convinced me that for the most part I just need to maintain, keep a watchful eye and perform some basic preventative things. Still have lots of questions.

Does anyone have a good list of tools I should carry? Looking at replacing all screw with stainless steel (in leisure time). So I should just buy a bunch of different sizes to keep on hand. Any suggestions on sizes? Anybody purchase a moisture meter to check for possible leaks that are not yet showing? I currently have Xfinity mobile for cell phone. Cost ranges from 3.23 to 16/month depending on my data use. Does Xfinity work well for others on say the East coast or AZ area?
How about the down and dirty, Just how does one crawl onto that little space to hook up the dump hose? I put an elbow on, because my first try dumped sewage in the compartment as soon as I took the cap off. Not sure how one posts a picture. This is my first forum.

I plan to full time beginning in 6/19 till mom calls me home for her care needs. I will do my own oil changes and such to save $$. I found a folding ladder to carry in back basement for roof access.

My tip of the day is the best DIY window covering I have found:
PennyT,
Here are a few photos to illustrate nmcmilla's excellent orientation to the sewer compartment (photo taken during the orientation on MY Compass 23TR). Hope you find this helpful. Also, thanks for the youtube link to the window coverings. I had made some out of reflectix, and now I am reading that this could damage the glass, or cause the window seals to fail, so I was thinking I would have to add some type of fabric covering to the reflectix. Anyone else concerned with this?

Now, can anyone tell me where to find the low point drains for my rig? Maybe post a picture?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sewer Compartment.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	15497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer 2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	15498  

Name:	Sewer 3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	15499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer 4.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	15500  

Old 02-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #840

THOR #11426
Quote:

I found a folding ladder to carry in back basement for roof access.

Discussion of what tools to bring in this thread:
Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Tools, so many tools

Also wondering what kind of ladder you found that will fit in the back storage compartment/basement? Could you post a picture or a link?

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall