Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #901

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Canada

Its a great trip from Jasper to Banff and only takes a day and the National Park
in Banff is very good and usually busy so reservations are recommended, its a huge park. Lake Louise is very busy with lots of tour buses but worth the trip.
BC is also very scenic along the Trans Canada Highway (#1). We used our Woodalls book but the newest one is a Good Sam publication also very good for locating CG`s, RV Parks reviews is also a place to find good CG`s
Not sure about the prescription drug thing but when we travel to the US we always have them in the original container and have never been asked but was told by a US Customs officer it a good idea to do it

Old 04-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #902

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
The Rockies are spectacular. We love living in the middle of them. Hope you'll enjoy your trip.

I'm not sure about prescription drugs. But to be on the safe side, I would recommend leaving them in their original containers. They'll be mostly concerned the drugs are legitimate and not being imported for sale. The bigger issue I've heard about is firearms. Don't bring them. Here's a handy site for more info on the border - https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...c-rnc-eng.html

There are plenty of campgrounds in British Columbia. The popular destinations like Banff and Lake Louise can be very busy in the summer months - June to August. But there are very nice campgrounds not too far away. If you stay away from the bigger cities, there's usually lots of camping spaces - both serviced and dry.

I would really recommend driving south to north - starting in Kalispell and going to Prince George. (We live in Yukon so usually keep on driving up the Alaska Highway. It takes 3 or 4 easy days to get to Whitehorse and then the same returning.) Then return south through the middle of BC.

We have used Park Advisor - and it's not bad. But does not include all the campgrounds. We like the Good Sam's (the old Woodalls) book. Another one I would highly recommend is the Milepost. Many people think it's only for the Alaska highway - but it's good for most of BC too. A fantastic guide. If you prefer electronic advice, just use Google maps and search for rv campgrounds and you'll find most that way too. The google ratings are not as good as Woodalls - but will give you a bit of an idea.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:16 AM   #903

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Canadian Rockies

DonB It is a great scenic trip!

Here is a link showing some of the camping available around Banff:
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/camping

I've stayed at Waterfowl Lakes as a drive up (1st come, first served) in July but got there early in the day. Rustic but very nice as long as you don't need hookups. Dump station just at the entrance.
I've also stayed at Tunnel Mtn. Village II (has hookups) with reservations.

Lake Louise has a shuttle from the free parking lot right off the hwy...so easy to leave the RV for sightseeing--no need to drive through tons of traffic in the tiny village.

Happy Travels!
Nancy
Old 04-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #904

State: Iowa
THOR #9915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
Its a great trip from Jasper to Banff and only takes a day and the National Park
in Banff is very good and usually busy so reservations are recommended, its a huge park. Lake Louise is very busy with lots of tour buses but worth the trip.
BC is also very scenic along the Trans Canada Highway (#1). We used our Woodalls book but the newest one is a Good Sam publication also very good for locating CG`s, RV Parks reviews is also a place to find good CG`s
Not sure about the prescription drug thing but when we travel to the US we always have them in the original container and have never been asked but was told by a US Customs officer it a good idea to do it
Thanks coveman2. I visited Jasper and Banff when I was to young to remember. My parents raved about the Canadian Rockies their whole life. Now taking my wife (and myself) there before I am to old to travel.
What is "RV Parks reviews"? A publication or app? Where might it be available? Sounds like a good backup resource.
Don B.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #905

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Recliner

JDKIRK,
Dog looks happy with your new recliner. What model. Gemini do you have? I have a 23TR and currently use the space under my couch for storing a spare tire & table top. The couch is so uncomfortable I might rethink my current setup. Curious how difficult it was to get the new recliner I the door.
Hugh
Old 04-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #906

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
RV Parks Reviews just changed their name to Campgrounds Reviews and is a good site for Canada, the US and Mexico. You can google it but I believe its part of this forum.
Coveman2
Old 04-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #907

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
RV Parks Reviews just changed their name to Campgrounds Reviews and is a good site for Canada, the US and Mexico. You can google it but I believe its part of this forum.
Coveman2

Thank You
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:51 AM   #908

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Vfrhugh
We have a 23tr. As for the tire, we have goodsam 24 hr emergency service. Too many hip problems to be out changing tires. Service also is good for all your vehicles. Taking out old couch is 4 scews. Was a little bulky , but was able to slide the couch thu 22" door by myself. The 58" recpro comes in 4 PC's. 2 seats , 2 backs. All PC's slide thu door easily. Just becareful u don't scratch it. I used same screws to reattach. Took 2 days ,working less than 2 hours a day. Dog watched whole time.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #909

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Nitrogen in RV Tires

Speaking of tires...Anyone have an opinion about using Nitrogen in their RV's tires? I know it was the rage a few years ago for high end passenger car tires but I have not heard too much lately. A friend who just purchased a Winnebago 29VE was told by a neighbor that he should use Nitrogen to keep the tires running cooler on the road and have less leakage while in storage.

Any thoughts?

Paul
Old 04-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #910

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #11917
We have put a little over 13,000 miles on our Gemini 23TR since 6/15/18 when we bought new and use the cruise control as often as possible. We never have had any problems with it, just not too useful in Yukon highways and some other potholed roads.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #911

State: Arizona
THOR #13926
FDA Rule on importation of prescription medication.

According to FDA Rules, one is allowed a non prescribed medicine not to exceed a 30 day amount..

Quote:
Old 04-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #912

THOR #13926
I have the Ford Transit and love it.
If this is any consolation, the engine is a diesel produced by Volvo!
Old 04-05-2019, 12:33 AM   #913

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
Speaking of tires...Anyone have an opinion about using Nitrogen in their RV's tires? I know it was the rage a few years ago for high end passenger car tires but I have not heard too much lately. A friend who just purchased a Winnebago 29VE was told by a neighbor that he should use Nitrogen to keep the tires running cooler on the road and have less leakage while in storage.

Any thoughts?

Paul
Not many nitrogen pumps around, but alot of air pumps at gas stations. I keep a small football size 80psi compresser ,and a battery powered big number air Gage in my camper. I Check regularly even if by sight. Other than that if something happens we have 24 hr Rd service from good Sam. You can use it on your other vehicles too.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:35 AM   #914

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N View Post

Any thoughts?

Paul

Our last 5th wheel came with nitrogen in the tires. I always check the tires temperature at stops. After having a slow leak repaired the repair shop did not have nitrogen so they aired it up. That tire ran hotter with pressure variations. The nitrogen tires stayed at the cool temp even driven for hours in hot weather. I was also told the tires have a longer life with nitrogen. That’s all the info I have but when it comes time to buy new tires for the MH I will probably spend the extra money to go nitrogen.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:04 AM   #915

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipmsp View Post
I have the Ford Transit and love it.
If this is any consolation, the engine is a diesel produced by Volvo!

Actually the Ford Transit Diesel engine is manufactured by a Ford owned engine plant is South Africa. The engine has been around for years in Africa and Europe. The emissions are designed to meet US standards. It’s called a Duratorq TDCI, 3.2 L 5 cylinder inline diesel.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #916

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Thanks for your thoughts. I helped a friend air up the tires on his coach last night for a trip this morning. Just for reasons of keeping the pressures in the tires up it is absolutely a good idea to convert over to Nitrogen.

On his Winnebago Vista 29VE, the outer rear tire valve is pointing in so you need a special double headed air chuck. The valve for the inner tire is on a spring and not static mounted so you have to hold onto the valve with one hand and the air hose/chuck with the other. It was hard to get sufficient pressure against the valve to fill the tire. NOT FUN for these old arthritic fingers!!! The front tires had a normal/usual valve configuration; so thank heaven for small miracles!

I had not thought to switch to Nitrogen in my Compass but am going to do so now. Just the fact the tires will run cooler is good enough for me.

Paul
Old 04-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #917

THOR #13926
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Actually the Ford Transit Diesel engine is manufactured by a Ford owned engine plant is South Africa. The engine has been around for years in Africa and Europe. The emissions are designed to meet US standards. It’s called a Duratorq TDCI, 3.2 L 5 cylinder inline diesel.
I stand corrected...
Old 04-08-2019, 09:09 PM   #918

THOR #6701
However lipmsp, you are right, we love ours too.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #919

THOR #11917
Question RV Door not tight

The door to the RV Is not tight, it bows out at the bottom. Now the inside glass on the window has come loose.

Has anyone had a problem with the door, if so what was the fix?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #920

THOR #6701
I see you have a 2018. Is it still under warranty?

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall