Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2019, 09:44 PM   #961

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Thanks Paul N,

I agree, shorter than 12.5 ft doesn’t feel safe, no matter how tempting the weight and retracted length.

Just realized why my ladder is so long when retracted...there are spacers between each rung, to prevent pinched fingers when retracting the ladder. They have since changed the positioning of the release latches, so the spacers are no longer necessary, and the retracted ladder is significantly shorter.

My RV is currently at the Ford dealer (long, sad story...). Can anyone out there with a Compass or Gemini tell me the length/width of the storage compartment on the passenger side, under the outside TV?

Old 05-02-2019, 12:19 AM   #962

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Dimensions of storage compartment under TV are as follows:

Hatch opening measures 34" wide x 9" tall

Interior measurements are 38" wide x 12" tall x 17" deep. These are the minimum measurements as the compartment is not a perfect rectangle.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old 05-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #963

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Am interested in how you guys come out with these ladders. I do not carry one and have never needed one with the Gemini and never used the external ladders on previous fifth wheel or TT while traveling. Now that I say that I will probably need one on my next trip . Since I removed the box under the couch and store the spare tire there I think that ladder would fit very nicely on top of the spare.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #964

THOR #9752
I plan on carrying the ladder as an insurance policy I hope to not need.

A while back I had an unfortunate incident with an awning and could have used a ladder like this. Much better than dragging a picnic table to the coach to work on the awning.

Paul
Old 05-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #965

THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
I plan on carrying the ladder as an insurance policy I hope to not need.

Paul
Old 05-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #966

THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Am interested in how you guys come out with these ladders. I do not carry one and have never needed one with the Gemini and never used the external ladders on previous fifth wheel or TT while traveling. Now that I say that I will probably need one on my next trip . Since I removed the box under the couch and store the spare tire there I think that ladder would fit very nicely on top of the spare.
Mountainsam, I did the same, but my ladder is just a bit too big to fit on top of the spare! And a bit too long to fit in the storage compartment under the outside TV. I guess I’ll be carrying it inside (on floor in bedroom) when I decide to bring it.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #967

THOR #11426
Sumo Springs and other things...

Just wanted to thank eveyone on the forum who recommended Sumo Springs! We had them put on the rear of our Compass last week, and have been traveling for the past two days (on our way down to Wakarusa for an appointment on Monday at the Thor service center). The rear Sumo Springs have made a HUGE difference in how our rig handles on the highway. I can actually steer with one hand and sip my coffee if I want! I do still feel slight push/pull as semi’s pass, and if I’m directly behind a semi, there still is some buffeting, but I no longer feel like I’m driving a hockey puck on ice...

Many recommended the rear SS’s to start, and now I am wondering about adding them to the front. Can anyone comment on what the front Sumo’s add to the equation?

We have an appointment at Wakarusa to have Thor address some nagging warranty issues that the dealer couldn’t resolve. Although our rig is now out of warranty, Thor graciously agreed to take a look and try to help us out. Will keep you posted on how things progress...
Old 05-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #968

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
I do still feel slight push/pull as semi’s pass, and if I’m directly behind a semi, there still is some buffeting, but I no longer feel like I’m driving a hockey puck on ice...
I don't know if anything will eliminate the buffeting behind a truck other than dropping back a bit. I agree with you about the Sumos being a very effective upgrade. And thumbs up to Thor for standing tall on your repairs.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #969

THOR #11426
Quote:
I don't know if anything will eliminate the buffeting behind a truck other than dropping back a bit. I agree with you about the Sumos being a very effective upgrade. And thumbs up to Thor for standing tall on your repairs.
Dropped our RV off at the Thor Service Center yesterday at 7 AM. We were met promptly at 7 by a technician named Lane, who had our list of concerns in hand. He went over every inch of the rig with me, inside and out, looking at all the problem areas. He even found a few things I hadn’t seen (He found that the awning arms were out of alignment, risking deployment while driving)! He was polite and courteous and knowledgeable, everything I could have hoped for, really. He estimated a week for all repairs, so we are waiting it out, visiting family in the area.

I know this is my medical background showing, but it felt a bit like being at the Mayo Clinic for RV’s, and for the first time in quite awhile I have hope of a “cure”! Maybe even let myself dream of a summer spent camping, instead of back and forth to the dealer! thanks again to all forum members who planted the seed for making an appointment at the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #970

Model: Gemini
State: Nova Scotia
THOR #12276
Question 2 Questions. I need help, please!

Hi all,

I joined this forum last year when I was considering purchasing a Gemini. I did and love it. Have one camping season under my belt and looking forward to the upcoming one.
I removed the auxiliary batteries for the winter and am now reconnecting them. Although I marked the 3 cables as to where they go the markers have disappeared. I can connect the batteries in parallel and the positive cable is still marked. I can guess the negative and ground cable but want to make sure where they all go before connecting them. The manual is no help.
Also can anyone tell me how to de-winterize my unit? I had the dealer winterize ; I didn't want to muck with that especially with the on demand hot water system. But surely I can de-winterize it myself.
Thanks, will really appreciate any response. Cathy
Old 05-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #971

THOR #9752
There is a photo at thread #294 that shows my new AGM batteries after they were installed. At least it shows how the cables are connected.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old 05-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #972

THOR #12276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
There is a photo at thread #294 that shows my new AGM batteries after they were installed. At least it shows how the cables are connected.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Thank you Paul, that helps a lot. Tells me the ground is attached to the - terminal of the right hand battery.
I will take a picture and document on my iPad exactly how to do it rather than a scrap of paper that I put in a safe place that I can't find when I need it!
Old 05-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #973

THOR #9752
Glad it helped. There is a tremendous amount of info on this forum. The search function is very helpful. Best of luck in all your camping adventures this summer.

Paul
Old 05-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #974

THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by socwok View Post
Hi all,

I joined this forum last year when I was considering purchasing a Gemini. I did and love it. Have one camping season under my belt and looking forward to the upcoming one.
I removed the auxiliary batteries for the winter and am now reconnecting them. Although I marked the 3 cables as to where they go the markers have disappeared. I can connect the batteries in parallel and the positive cable is still marked. I can guess the negative and ground cable but want to make sure where they all go before connecting them. The manual is no help.
Also can anyone tell me how to de-winterize my unit? I had the dealer winterize ; I didn't want to muck with that especially with the on demand hot water system. But surely I can de-winterize it myself.
Thanks, will really appreciate any response. Cathy
Photo of my battery connections:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAD621DD-05FD-474F-B583-07279232F3DB.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	17224  
Old 05-08-2019, 06:20 PM   #975

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Dewinterizing

DEWINTERIZING CHECK LIST
Drain fresh water tank and lines of antifreeze
Turn of all taps and faucets
Fill potable water tank
Mix ¼ cup bleach in gallon of water
Pour mixture in tank(s)
Install batteries (2 negative cables on negative 3 positive on positive) (hook up positive first)
Check pump strainer for debris
Prime pump
Run water through all taps and toilet until no more pink antifreeze is seen (hot &cold)
Drive RV for 10 minutes to disinfect tank
Drain potable water tank(s) then refill with clean water
Drain potable water tank(s)
Test all appliances for operation ( stove, fridge, furnace, A/C and whatever else you have)
Check all slides and drawers
Pour mineral oil in grey and black water tanks (grey through kitchen sink, black through toilet) This keeps the seals lubricated
Tire pressure check
Lubricate slide and seals

You may not need to use all of these but have done this on all of my motorhome and has not failed yet.
Regarding the batteries there is a very good diagram on the Thor Owners Resource in the schematics section which also has a wealth of information specific to your model and exact unit, just put in the VIN number
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
2007 Roadtrek 210 P
1994 Roadtrek 190 P
Old 05-08-2019, 08:21 PM   #976

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Don’t forget to put the water heater plug back in, turn the bypass valve(s) back to normal and make sure the fill winterizing valve also is in the normal position.

And, by all means, go up on your roof and crawl around on your hands and knees inspecting EVERYTHING for potential water leaks.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:27 PM   #977

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Don’t forget to put the water heater plug back in, turn the bypass valve(s) back to normal and make sure the fill winterizing valve also is in the normal position.

And, by all means, go up on your roof and crawl around on your hands and knees inspecting EVERYTHING for potential water leaks.
RDC54 you won't have the hot water heater plug since you have a instant water heater, and as Pete'sMH said, great time to check every seam and opening in the rig.

Any planned adventures this year?
Old 05-09-2019, 10:28 PM   #978

THOR #12276
De-winterizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
Welcome dadepfan and thanks for your post! Good to know, I will be sure to add drain the on demand HW heater to my winterizing checklist!
Nancy
Hi Nancy,

Since you seem to have some experience in winterizing your RV do you have any suggestions for de-winterizing it? I had the dealer winterize mine last year because it was my first year. It can't imagine it would be too difficult to do. I have called the dealer but no one has gotten back to me. Would appreciate any information you can give me. Cathy
Old 05-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #979

Model: Compass 23TK
THOR #10919
Sun Roof inside frame

Has anyone taken down the inside vinyl frame around the sun roof? One corner has become lose and in looking at it, I will need to take the entire frame down to repair. There are caps on the four corners where the screws are located. Is there a trick to removing these caps to avoid damaging the vinyl covering around the frame?
Old 05-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #980

Model: Compass 23TK
THOR #10919
EGR cooler

Quote:
Yesterday i recieved a letter from Ford concerning the 3.2 diesel EGR cooler. Seems they are, or some are defective so Ford extended the warranty for the cooler plus labor to 11 years or 120,000 miles if the vehicle falls within the range suspected of possible future issues. They will also supply a rental car and the warranty is automatically transferred to future owners.
So I went to a Ford Forum and read there has been a problem with some of them. The symptoms seem to be unexplained loss of coolant. So keep an eye on it. They say there are no signs of leaks so make sure you check under the hood occasionally. Stay safe and Happy RVing
I received the same notice in February. I took mine in to the Ford dealer for an oil change a week ago and to take care of a couple of other recalls. They knew of this potential issue and worked with Ford and then ran some computer tests and determined that the cooler on mine was good to go. The mechanic was glad because he had reviewed the procedure to replace this and said it entailed a 124 page procedure with an estimated time to replace of 20 hours.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall