Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #981

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TK
State: Indiana
THOR #10919
aggressive driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
vfrhugh, I was re-reading the thread and saw your posts (#387 and #441) on your troubles with the diesel exhaust filter. We had the same problem last summer when on our first big trip with our then-new Compass 23TR. We were driving through Idaho, using cruise, 65 MPH, and got the warning "Exhaust Filter Overloaded" and "Drive to Clean". Continued driving did not clear the warning. Called the Ford dealer back home (none of the dealers in the area could get us in), and their suggestion was to keep driving. We finally had to stop for fuel, and turning off the ignition seemed to clear the warning. It returned once we were back on the highway. This happened several more times driving through Montana and North Dakota. On a whim, we decided to stop using cruise control, and didn't get another warning the rest of the way home!

Once we got home, we took it into the local Ford dealer, and they did a manual clean on the exhaust filter...for $299! Their best guess as to what caused the issue was that we weren't driving aggressively enough, and needed to accelerate more aggressively when on the highway. Not sure I buy that...

We haven't used cruise since, and haven't had any more issues with the "filter overloaded" warning coming on. Currently have about 7400 miles on our rig.

We are planning a spring trip, 2000+ miles, and would really like to use cruise control. Wondering if you (or any others) have had any further issues?
Going through old posts and saw this. It was interesting because in talking to the mechanic that did my oil change and a couple of recall items he mentioned that the diesel engine would perform better if driven more aggressively. He did not give me any particulars, but found his comment interesting after reading posts related to the above issue.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #982

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
Has anyone taken down the inside vinyl frame around the sun roof? One corner has become lose and in looking at it, I will need to take the entire frame down to repair. There are caps on the four corners where the screws are located. Is there a trick to removing these caps to avoid damaging the vinyl covering around the frame?
Dennis
If you find out how to remove these fasteners please post here. I’ve traced a lot of annoying rattling behind this panel. Afraid to force anything as these panels are problematic.
Hugh
Old 05-12-2019, 12:03 AM   #983

Model: Gemini TX
State: Ontario
THOR #13247
12.5' Extension Ladder Placement

I have attached a photo of my Passenger Storage Bay with Telescoping Ladder.

Ladder is located at the very bottom. It is part of my Emergency Sprinter Kit.

1. Pancake Compressor to pump up tires on AC Shore Power or AC Generator

2. NOCO GB70 Battery Jump Start for Truck and House Battery Emergency

3. Hughes Power Watch 30 AMP Surge Protection

4. One 215/85 R16 Continental Tire only for Emergency Tire Repair when in the middle of no where and looking for a tire (Off the Rim as you have a 33.3% chance of pegging a front, inside dually or outside dually rim.) located in the back pass through storage.

5. 50 AMP to 30 AMP Camco Dumb down AC Dog Bone

6. Full Set of basic standard and metric tools

7. 5 gallons of emergency diesel to get me to a Pilot or Flying J in the middle of the night if caught needing fuel in the middle of no where in the middle of the night
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5391.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	17335   Click image for larger version

Name:	NOCO.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	17336  

Name:	FP2028-3-R-1-Gallon-Pancake-Oilless-Air-Compressor_1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	17337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5394.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	17338  

Name:	PWD30-2T.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	17339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5427.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	17343  

Name:	IMG_5428.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	17344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5430.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	17345  

Old 05-12-2019, 01:41 AM   #984

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by socwok View Post
Hi Nancy,

Since you seem to have some experience in winterizing your RV do you have any suggestions for de-winterizing it? I had the dealer winterize mine last year because it was my first year. It can't imagine it would be too difficult to do. I have called the dealer but no one has gotten back to me. Would appreciate any information you can give me. Cathy
Hi, Sorry to say I am a bit late getting my Gemini out of storage this year. I will be de-winterizing in the next day or 2. I will be performing tasks similar to Coveman2's list --although I did not put antifreeze into my freshwater tank I just emptied it. My winter climate is fairly moderate so I blew out my water lines (bike pump and city water valve adapter) and I only put antifreeze into all the actual drains/toilet (therefore into black and grey tanks) and I left my grey tank valve open (having read how this smaller exit line with only a small amount of water froze/cracked on that writer). I think the most important thing for me will be making sure my low point drain is closed and the lines leading to the on-demand heater are open. Nancy
Old 05-12-2019, 05:07 AM   #985

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
Going through old posts and saw this. It was interesting because in talking to the mechanic that did my oil change and a couple of recall items he mentioned that the diesel engine would perform better if driven more aggressively. He did not give me any particulars, but found his comment interesting after reading posts related to the above issue.
I have not had a problem with mine in nearly two years, since Ford flashed the computer and updated it. This was at no cost to me. The dealer actually talked with the Ford Diesel division engineers. If you are having problems with the regen I would suggest you take it in to a Ford Truck center and discuss it with them. I don’t believe more aggressive driving is the answer.

I will see if I can get more info on what they did to solve the regen issue for me.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:16 AM   #986

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkwood View Post
4. One 215/85 R16 Continental Tire only for Emergency Tire Repair when in the middle of no where and looking for a tire (Off the Rim as you have a 33.3% chance of pegging a front, inside dually or outside dually rim.) located in the back pass through storage.
All your tires have the same rim. Outside duals are just turned in.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #987

THOR #5922
Dewinterizing checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
DEWINTERIZING CHECK LIST
Pour mineral oil in grey and black water tanks (grey through kitchen sink, black through toilet) This keeps the seals lubricated
Hi Coveman2, this step interests me....can you explain it a little more? Is it the 2 gate valves that get lubricated? So, I guess you do this when both tanks are empty --then drain the mineral oil out before using the tanks? And how much mineral oil do you use between both tanks? Nancy
Old 05-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #988

Model: Compass 23 TB
THOR #13224
Dewinterizing

Nancy: I just dump it down the kitchen sink and toilet but you can dump it down the bathroom sink also as it drains into the black water tank. I use a half a cup every six months and it keeps the mechanisms lubricated. I know people who live in warmer climes use coconut oil but up here in Canada it gets too thick when cold. It does not matter when you drain the tanks, I usually put it in just before I empty the tanks
Coveman2
Old 05-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #989

Model: Gemini
State: Nova Scotia
THOR #12276
Thanks for the information, Nancy. We had a strange winter on the East Coast, frigid temperatures one week and very mild the next. Flushing the system is my challenge for this week!
Old 05-13-2019, 12:18 AM   #990

THOR #13247
Thanks I feel like a dummy, thought I read something from Alcoa saying something different, reading too much stuff too fast.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #991

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkwood View Post
Thanks I feel like a dummy, thought I read something from Alcoa saying something different, reading too much stuff too fast.
Well maybe I should rephrase me response. Ford wheels are interchangeable. I would assume Mercedes would also be. Looking at your pictures I dont understand the last one. Is that a Hitch carrier? I have been thinking of getting one for me 23TR. If so, how do you like it?
Old 05-14-2019, 03:04 AM   #992

THOR #13247
Re: Homemade Cargo Box.

Yes this is a Cargo Carrier I made myself.

The carcass is a Haulmaster aluminum carrier, broken down the sides off, then I screwed a Lund Pickup Truck 5' Cargo Chest onto the haulmaster,

I added Lights for both a license plate bulb and two signals that I plug into the rear towing hitch.

I saw a bunch of much more expensive flimsy plastic ones.

This is very sturdy and cheap to build.

I put our Air Fryer, waffle maker, induction cooker and all those things from home when you are on the road for a while. Winter coat storage to the south, and a bunch of extra clothes you otherwise would not take.

I added a dual hitch post on the back so I can pull my 5x8 motorcycle trailer and have my cargo box too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5276.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	17397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4939.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	17398  

Name:	New Home 2.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	17399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4941.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	17400  

Old 05-15-2019, 02:49 AM   #993

THOR #6701
Wow, thumbs up on that job. That is very impressive. Just about what I have had in mind. Those pics will set the bar on what I look for.

Thanks for your post on this topic.

Sam
Old 05-15-2019, 10:02 PM   #994
CWS

Model: Sequence 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #3629
I just installed Bully BBS-1103 Black 2 Pack Side Step from Amazon.com...easy install and works.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:28 AM   #995

THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS View Post
I just installed Bully BBS-1103 Black 2 Pack Side Step from Amazon.com...easy install and works.
These steps look good. When you say an easy install...I see from reading the installation .pdf ...it looks like some drilling is required? Nancy
Old 05-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #996
CWS

Model: Sequence 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #3629
Yes...if you have a hand drill and basic bits, tools and familiar with their use, it is no big deal......just follow the directions....taking my time (measuring twice and drilling once for each hole) it was done in a morning project........ not expensive and the black ones blend right in.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #997

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Sun Shades

What do people use for sun shades for their Compass/Gemini? I have the Compass 23TR Ford Transit model. I have not found anything that seems to fit yet. Suggestions?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #998

Model: Compass 23 TB
THOR #13224
Windshield and Side window covers

Weathertech makes a perfect fit for the side windows and the front is very good
but there is one small opening at the rear view mirror which we just put a small piece of reflectix and made it perfect
Old 05-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #999

Model: Gemini
State: Nova Scotia
THOR #12276
Thank you so much for that list and information where I can find the schematics. I have done much of that but can't even find the water tank to figure out how to drain any antifreeze that might be in it. I have been underneath and can find the black water and grey water tank but not the fresh water one.
The dealer was not any help, but offered to do it for a hefty price!
Thanks again, I do like to be able to do thinks myself. Cathy
Old 05-16-2019, 09:46 PM   #1000

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by socwok View Post
Thank you so much for that list and information where I can find the schematics. I have done much of that but can't even find the water tank to figure out how to drain any antifreeze that might be in it. I have been underneath and can find the black water and grey water tank but not the fresh water one.
The dealer was not any help, but offered to do it for a hefty price!
Thanks again, I do like to be able to do thinks myself. Cathy
Do you have the 23TR model? If so the water tank drain will be found inside the rear storage compartment by removing the left side panel. It has a finger hole to help removing it but you will have two screws to remove first. Your water pump is also located there. I have been told that some Gemini models have the drain inside the wet bay to the rear. I think this would be the 2018 models but not sure. I assume you found the low water drain valves?

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall