Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Sun screen is made to fit the windshield, and uses a suction cup on each side window to hold it in place. Take a minute and a half or so to put up, small class C so no ladder required. They can be ordered here:

RV Sunscreen | No More Snaps, Drilling or Climbing
thanks to all for the reply

2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #42

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Virginia
THOR #9506
DEF & fuel info

fyi. if you are trying to load DEF from a 2.5 gallon box at home rather than going to a truck stop, and you want to get more DEF in the tank than on the ground, consider picking a Motorcraft PM-27-N kit ($7.00). it stops the flow when the tank is full.

Also, my Ford guy also showed me the "Cetane Booster & Performance Improver"(also a Motorcraft item) its supposed to clean, improve performance, etc. I figure it may be a way to help keep the injectors happy. About $10.00 for enough to treat 125 gallons of fuel. we'll see!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:36 AM   #43

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
A/C assist from cab while engine running

I tried adding the AC from the ford cab to running the house AC (with the fan set on auto --which is what the dealership told me would make a big difference) and I was very happy with the results in less than 30 minutes.

I still feel my AC may not be working --once lowered to a manageable temp in the unit I turned off my motor --BUT the temp inside went up about 4' in short order even with the house AC running.

(Have since read the "best not to let your engine idle too long" comment so not sure if I'll make that a regular option for cooling my Gemini.)

I have asked my dealership to test the AC operation twice and they say it is working. Warranty is running out in December, so will need to figure out how to get a definitive verdict soon!
Old 10-24-2017, 11:46 AM   #44

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
If the roof AC is blowing cold air, its probably working ok. My take is the single AC is just not enough to cope with the super heating that takes place in the cab area when the sun beats on the coach. As I mentioned in an earlier post, one thing I did that helped some, was to put a fan on the dash blowing toward the rear, to get that hot air back so it could be cooled. Yes that helped some, but did not solve the problem, so that is why I had the second AC installed in the front. Still don't have it back, as they are also installing a leveling system so next week I should be able to tell just how effective all this is.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:11 PM   #45

State: Florida
THOR #6333
What I find interesting is that the dash A/C in my sprinter Quantum KM24 can cool the whole RV reasonably quickly. The 15000 btu Coleman takes several hours on high to cool the rv and still not as cool as the dash in 15-30 minutes. This is my observation from a 6 week voyage thru south Utah and Arizona last summer.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #46

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
.....cut....

I have asked my dealership to test the AC operation twice and they say it is working. Warranty is running out in December, so will need to figure out how to get a definitive verdict soon!

An easy first step you can do yourself is to stick a thermometer in the A/C's discharge air flow after the A/C has been running steady for a while -- I'd give it 30 minutes or so. First set thermostat very low so A/C won't cycle on and off.

If the cold air is coming out at least 15 degrees cooler than the temperature in RV, then it's probably working OK and the problem is most likely that the A/C isn't large enough in capacity.

There is at least one other thing that can happen to give the above test a bad result, but it's rare. I'd start with above test first.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:07 AM   #47

THOR #5922
Thanks, this is what I think I need to do. My AC is blowing air that seems not that much cooler than what my roof top unit blows when set to it's "fan" setting.
I imagine you need a special thermometer for this test?
Old 10-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #48

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
Thanks, this is what I think I need to do. My AC is blowing air that seems not that much cooler than what my roof top unit blows when set to it's "fan" setting.
I imagine you need a special thermometer for this test?
Almost any thermometer that is convenient to hold and read while in cold air stream (A/C discharge) will do the trick. It doesn't even have to be all that accurate or calibrated because you're just looking for the difference between temperatures. If the A/C is working you'll know pretty fast.

Some thermometers will start to warm up very fast once removed from cold air stream, so best to read temperature before pulling away from A/C discharge if at all possible.

It does help to have one with the right range, so best to avoid using one that goes up too high like those made for cooking that are designed to read temperatures in the 100s of degrees F. Since you're only looking for a difference of about 15 degrees F or less, one that only goes up to about 120 F should work fine.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #49

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
THOR #9752
Morning all - New to the forum and to a Compass 23TR. I know I have a lot to learn since I have only had it one day, but - how does the swivel seat work? If it is in any literature, I can't find it.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2017, 03:07 PM   #50

THOR #9752
Morning again. Another thought.

The Oil Change Due notice shows up when I start. Only 2240 miles on the coach. Think prior to sale there was a lot of excessive idling and driving to local RV shows in the Florida heat ? Why would the oil be needed to change after only 2240 miles? Probably a good idea to get it serviced to be starting fresh anyway. Thoughts? Ideas?
Old 10-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #51

State: North Carolina
THOR #9217
Water pump

Anyone know how to access the water pump on the Gemini 23TB??
Old 10-26-2017, 12:32 AM   #52

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnlr77 View Post
Morning all - New to the forum and to a Compass 23TR. I know I have a lot to learn since I have only had it one day, but - how does the swivel seat work? If it is in any literature, I can't find it.

Thanks

The passenger has a lever on the left side while seated. You will have to work with the proper the seat and reclining placement to get it to swivel around without hitting the dash and door.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:38 AM   #53

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Anyone know how to access the water pump on the Gemini 23TB??

If it's the same as the 23TR is is accessed in the rear outside compartment on the left side. There is an access panel with a finger hole in it. Just pull it out and it's in there. Not much room but this is where you winterize it too.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:40 AM   #54

Model: 2019 Gemini 24LP
State: North Dakota
THOR #7154
7 Months in Gemini Ownership

Glad to see some discussion on the Gemini. I own the TR model. My dealer is 300 miles away so I have dealt with the with the dealer via phone and parts shipped to me for replacement. From lurking on this forum and others it seems there are some standard problems with them all. Here is a list of mine for the summer:
1) Water heater gas valve had to be replaced, 2) water heater door was replaced, 3) bedroom blind was replaced, 4) shower pan was poorly caulked and we redid that, 5) fridge door panel slid out of frame and was re-glued, 6) all wiring harnesses under the rig were shortened and zip tied up.

All in all my only real complaint was the wiring harnesses underneath the rig. How that made it through quality control I will never know. Most of it was heater pads on the holding tanks but a few others as well. The other thing I have yet to do is jack up the rig and remove the rear tires and then actually drill holes in the brackets that hold the mud flaps and brackets that hold them. Mine are just hanging there between the two metal brackets. For now I used gorilla tape to hold them in place. You all should check yours and your wiring.

I have added mud flaps to the front tires and also custom built a bumper with a bike rack that also holds the stinky slinky. Also made cab exterior window covers and fasten them on rare earth magnets, they work great. My next add will be some cab running boards. Not many good options out there, to bad Thor does not have them as stock.

We did one long trip and a few short trips this summer. I am really liking the Ford chassis. The engine is great, if they ever put that diesel in a pickup truck I would own one. I have only been getting around 14.5 miles per gallon but am not complaining because it was hill and mountain driving.

Overall we are happy with the rig. The size is perfect for us as we did not want to tow a vehicle, just use the Gemini to get around wherever we are.

Oh, and yes the owners manuals suck! Someday I will write my own.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:07 AM   #55

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelChristmas View Post
Glad to see some discussion on the Gemini. I own the TR model. My dealer is 300 miles away so I have dealt with the with the dealer via phone and parts shipped to me for replacement. From lurking on this forum and others it seems there are some standard problems with them all. Here is a list of mine for the summer:
1) Water heater gas valve had to be replaced, 2) water heater door was replaced, 3) bedroom blind was replaced, 4) shower pan was poorly caulked and we redid that, 5) fridge door panel slid out of frame and was re-glued, 6) all wiring harnesses under the rig were shortened and zip tied up.

All in all my only real complaint was the wiring harnesses underneath the rig. How that made it through quality control I will never know. Most of it was heater pads on the holding tanks but a few others as well. The other thing I have yet to do is jack up the rig and remove the rear tires and then actually drill holes in the brackets that hold the mud flaps and brackets that hold them. Mine are just hanging there between the two metal brackets. For now I used gorilla tape to hold them in place. You all should check yours and your wiring.

I have added mud flaps to the front tires and also custom built a bumper with a bike rack that also holds the stinky slinky. Also made cab exterior window covers and fasten them on rare earth magnets, they work great. My next add will be some cab running boards. Not many good options out there, to bad Thor does not have them as stock.

We did one long trip and a few short trips this summer. I am really liking the Ford chassis. The engine is great, if they ever put that diesel in a pickup truck I would own one. I have only been getting around 14.5 miles per gallon but am not complaining because it was hill and mountain driving.

Overall we are happy with the rig. The size is perfect for us as we did not want to tow a vehicle, just use the Gemini to get around wherever we are.

The reading I have done says that this will probably be the same engine that they put in the 2019 Ford Ranger. I will have my eye on this one when it comes out.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:25 AM   #56

THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfdchief24 View Post
The passenger has a lever on the left side while seated. You will have to work with the proper the seat and reclining placement to get it to swivel around without hitting the dash and door.
I had a lot of trouble getting it to swing too. (Called the dealership, they said it gets easier the more you do it;-)
My process as best as I can recall: I stand outside the passenger door leaning inside; I then shove the front facing passenger seat diagonally towards the center and back; once it hits full stop I grab a hold of the lever and lift while twisting counter clockwise. Nancy
Old 10-26-2017, 03:29 AM   #57

THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelChristmas View Post
Glad to see some discussion on the Gemini. I own the TR model. My dealer is 300 miles away so I have dealt with the with the dealer via phone and parts shipped to me for replacement.

A lot of good info! Thanks Nancy
Old 10-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #58

THOR #9752
Thanks for all the replies about the swivel seat. I spent some quality time with it yesterday and convinced it to actually swivel. It is a bit tight but, as mentioned, should ease up with use. Maybe taking off the section of the yellow warning sticker that it is trying to turn on might help. Good placement on that item!

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #59

THOR #9752
Anyone have any leak issues with the Compass 23TR rear slideout area? We discovered a pool of water and damaged particleboard along the bed frame where it touches the floor on a brand new coach when we parked on a slight downhill slope. Can't determine where the water came from. Possible overzealous dealership cleaning crew wet mopping the floor with way too much water prior to delivery, possible overflow from the fresh water filler, possible leak in slide out? Very strange.

Anyone else have any leak issues in that area?
Old 10-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #60

Model: Compass 23TR
THOR #7972
I had a similar leak, not as bad but very hard to find. After a lot of head scratching I discovered water was making its way into the home from the bottom slide exterior trim piece. A bead of RTV and problem solved. We were in Lake Dardanelle State Park in Arkansas last weekend when a monster storm came through & still water tight.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall