Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Gemini and Compass

Hello to all you Gemini and Compass folks. I am starting this thread to try to involve more Gemini and Compass owners. I don't see much discussion on them so I am thinking they are performing so well there is nothing to discuss. I have put roughly 6000 miles on ours since taking delivery in early April. A few problems have appeared but mostly cosmetic. I did have the Ford dealer flash the computer as the exhaust began regen cycle to often while returning home from the midwest in July.
How about others, have you been happy with your purchase?

Old 10-06-2017, 11:16 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
Thanks for starting this thread. Most of my issues have been cosmetic also. My Wife and I love ours. We have the 23tr ( but the sticker says 23tb? I was confused when I bought it because of this. Can't wait to participate in this thread.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:44 PM   #3

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
We have a 2017 Gemini 24TX, different chassis and drive train. Have had a number of predominantly minor and small things, with the exception of part of the wiring harness getting caught on a loose support board under the bedroom, while retracting the rear slide. That knocked out about half the lights and 120V outlets. Fortunately the dealer found and fixed the problem. Have added a bunch of stuff, a lot was part of the purchase deal, its now in to add a second air conditioner, the one in the rear just can not keep up in hot weather, and an HWH leveling system. All in all, I can't say the kinds of things we have found are that surprising, and for the most part minor, and have not kept us from using it. I love how maneuverable it is, and it consistently gets between 16 and 17MPG, which to me is spectacular after the 6 to 6.5 MPG I got with our former DP. Have had zero problems with the Mercedes chassis and drive train, have had it serviced once so far. Kind of surprised me when the little 3.0L diesel took 14 quarts of expensive 100% synthetic oil. At least that only has to happen once a year or every 15,000 miles.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #4

THOR #8277
Had the same problem with my wire harness and dealer fixed. Had the normal issue with Tankless water heater but solved it with an adjustable water regulator. I did add some sumo springs to the rear and it did help with the side to side rocking. My Wife and I went to Camp Gulf in Florida last week and the Heat was unusual (90+) last part of the week. The AC struggled to keep the inside below 80 during the day.
I have the Ford Transit chassis and haven't looked into the oil change intervals yet.
One of the unusual items on my list was a chip in the windshield. CW said they would have it fixed so they sent Safelite and they repaired the chip. I'm not pleased with the outcome. It is more noticeable now than before? Safelite said they would guarantee it will not crack anymore so well will see.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:47 AM   #5

THOR #6701
We have had the usual repairs and issues also. The a/c was working continuous on a day or two in the Midwest in July. One day it did freeze up a temp sensor and shut down. Later that evening it thawed and hasn't missed a lick since.
The Ford side is great. No complaints there. We did have an issue with the regen system on the way home. The Ford dealer flashed the computer program and did a bit of reprogramming to solve the problemm.
Last Saturday we drove to Donner Pass State Memorial which is about 7000 feet. Our house is at 46 feet. The trip was 195.7 miles round trip. We used 12.43 gal of fuel. Just can't beat that mileage. Just passed 9000 miles on it.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 AM   #6

THOR #8277
What is the regen issue? The only time I have seen it on is going down the road and it will come on for a couple of seconds and that's it? On our Fire engines they will regen while sitting.
I only have 3000 miles on ours.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:34 AM   #7

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfdchief24 View Post
What is the regen issue? The only time I have seen it on is going down the road and it will come on for a couple of seconds and that's it? On our Fire engines they will regen while sitting.
I only have 3000 miles on ours.
Regen system activated about every 200 miles on our way home from the MidWest. Ford dealer reset the computer after consulting with Ford Diesel Division. There was no problem with the exhaust system, just computer glitch. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:45 PM   #8

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Virginia
THOR #9506
my Compass TR23, 2017 ~~ Awning leak

Good day all. Purchased this unit in June. Returned it to the dealer for some bumper damage they (nor I) noticed on pre-flight check-out (word to the wise). Had to make an apt. for inspection and fix. I decided to give them my "punch-out" list. Dealer was not happy. I have figured out warranty work is not where they make any money. Two months later I got the unit back, with a box of parts and "sorry we couldn't get it in our shop." The bumper was at least fixed.I have found another dealer.

My list included many small items i did not expect to have on a "brand new RV." Cabinet doors falling off due to over torked screws, missing drain plugs, shower head does not fit into the holder, refrigerator error code (needing factory reset), wires pulled out of plugs, missing hub cap nut, on and on. Fortunately , nothing major.

THOR has been very good about sending me parts. I am thankful.

went camping this weekend. I am hopeful that the TV that fell off the wall in the bedroom is OK. The antenna line kept it from hitting the floor. Screws set 3/8" in particle board (that hold up a TV) is not good.

My question (sorry for the fuss above - it will be the last on those topics) is about the awning. When it rains or the A/C water runs to the awning side, water drips down (on the outside) the side of the RV from the door to the back, a nice water feature, but all gets wet - rain or shine. I looked at other campers and most have a "gutter." are any of you experiencing this?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #9

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Quote:
One of the unusual items on my list was a chip in the windshield. CW said they would have it fixed so they sent Safelite and they repaired the chip. I'm not pleased with the outcome. It is more noticeable now than before? Safelite said they would guarantee it will not crack anymore so well will see.
Not familiar with the law in NC but in Florida by law a cracked windshield is replaced with no insurance deductible. Might want to check the law in NC.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:40 AM   #10

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Roll View Post

My question (sorry for the fuss above - it will be the last on those topics) is about the awning. When it rains or the A/C water runs to the awning side, water drips down (on the outside) the side of the RV from the door to the back, a nice water feature, but all gets wet - rain or shine. I looked at other campers and most have a "gutter." are any of you experiencing this?

Thanks
Actually I did have water from the a/c running down by the door. But this was only on a very hot humid day when the temp sensor froze. Otherwise it runs down the passenger side rear and causes no issues. We have not had the awning out during rain so I can't comment on that. I did go out and look at our 23TR and it does not have a real gutter like our 5th wheel had. So we will see what happens when we do get rain.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:14 AM   #11

THOR #9506
I was surprised when my unit w/ 1500 miles on it needed an oil change! It was new to me, but was "born" 12 months earlier. FORD owners manual said change the oil. Warranty. did not waste my time contacting the dealer. $175.00.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:26 AM   #12

THOR #8277
ReadytoRoll: I had the same thing happen to me with water dripping down the side of the RV with the awning out. I didn't have a ladder to climb on top to see what is causing it. Mine happened when it was raining because in make it a habit to lean it to the driver side to keep the water off the door side. If I find out I will pass it along.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:29 AM   #13

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Glad to see this thread too! My Gemini is at 10,000 miles and I have enjoyed it! Love the handling and floor plan. I have experienced many of the mentioned problems: on demand hot water (solved works great now), oil changes (have done 2 now), cupboard screws (dealership fixed), and more. Currently it's in to have AC assessed (I've never felt it worked), fridge checked (only works on LP), awning leaks over door (where it attaches --so I get wet going in and out;-).
Planning some modifications once the warranty period is over...inverter, solar panel, wifi/mifi/cellular improvement(not sure what as yet).
Happy to read about other's solutions to our common issues!
Nancy
Old 10-10-2017, 01:45 AM   #14

THOR #5821
Guess almost everyone had some level of difficulty with the tank-less water heater. Ours was intermittent hot water and the fix was buying and using an adjustable pressure regulator set to 53psi. As far as add, we did a lot when we bought the Gemini, things like and inverter, LP connector for the BBQ, satellite dish and a lot more. Now its in for a hard wired surge regulator protector, a second air conditioner, the one in back just does not have the capacity to cool the entire coach in 90 + degree weather, and I an adding an HWH leveling system. I have had it serviced once, so far, takes 14 quarts of very expensive synthetic oil.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:36 AM   #15

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Gemini and Compass

@ 7k miles mostly cabinet door screws keep coming loose & need to slam entry door to mh to get it to close,need to take it back to cw again
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #16

THOR #9506
Tankless water heater fix

Quote:
Had the same problem with my wire harness and dealer fixed. Had the normal issue with Tankless water heater but solved it with an adjustable water regulator. I did add some sumo springs to the rear and it did help with the side to side rocking. My Wife and I went to Camp Gulf in Florida last week and the Heat was unusual (90+) last part of the week. The AC struggled to keep the inside below 80 during the day.
I have the Ford Transit chassis and haven't looked into the oil change intervals yet.
BFDChief, Can you provide more specifics on the regulator fix? I need to do an and don't know where to start!
Old 10-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #17

THOR #8277
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2834.JPG
Views:	1144
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	7309
I bought one of these and set the pressure to 55 psi.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #18

THOR #5821
Bfdcheif, was that chip in the windshield when you bought it, or did it happen while you were driving? If it was there, I would insist on a new windshield. The two safelite windshield fixes I have had done, you can barely see, and need to know exactly where to look.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:52 AM   #19

THOR #8277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Bfdcheif, was that chip in the windshield when you bought it, or did it happen while you were driving? If it was there, I would insist on a new windshield. The two safelite windshield fixes I have had done, you can barely see, and need to know exactly where to look.

It had the chip in it when I bought it it was on the "We Owe" sheet so they wanted to try and fix it so I said ok. It's not to noticeable but I know it's there. It's on the Co-Pilots side so I don't see it. I'm going to talk to CW and see what my options are.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #20

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
A/C

Sad to report that my Gemini is back from recent warranty work and they deem the A/C is working...so I guess my expectations were too high.
It has never cooled the unit when needed.
Next trip, I will try starting the A/C up sooner -when in hot climates- as dealership indicates it does put out 15' cooler air (perhaps the unit is overheated by the time I try and cool it off).
I know, Laco, you've gone with adding the 2nd unit...that is a bit expensive for me.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall