Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
There was actually a smart mouth that posted a slamming remark...my post was at him...obviously they removed his remarks...nothing intended here towards anyone!!!

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #22

THOR #11130
It was some guy that has "some other brand" in his signature. I'm gonna run the generator...need to test things out but if your read the entire post here...I don't want to run out of fuel plus I don't need a 6000W running just to watch TV when it's 60 degrees at night. I didn't pay this much to not use it all. And, as far as bothering neighbors...this is a drag race track...otherwise known here in the south as a "Gooberama". I appreciate all comments here.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
I agree w/ all of that Gritz. That actually is a question w/ the generators- i have been told that it isn't good to run the generator when it has no load on it, and obviously a TV doesn't do that. Luckily I don't run into it much, but that is when it would be nice to have an inverter that ran the TV at least....
Old 05-03-2018, 08:18 PM   #24

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
what are you planning on running all that time?

Mine has a 4Kw genny. It's been a while since I looked but I thought 50% load was approx 0.5GPH on mine.

Anyway, my mach 15 AC is supposed to pull 1,560 watts when running. 1560/4000=0.39
39% load
so there would be other loads during that time too... the fridge would switch from LP to electric, some battery recharging going on, maybe a tv
but that AC would be by far the biggest steady load
so maybe I'm at 50% load on the genny
BUT
the AC would cycle off and on, especially at those lower temps.....
so much of the time the genny would be burning far less.... probably near idle

AND I wouldn't be running the AC in the evenings at all once it cools off and certainly not at night.

Also, I second the suggestion of using a genturi
Old 05-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #25

THOR #11130
We did a trial run a couple weekends ago for one night. Had the generator running...had 50" TV on. when I cut generator off, the TV stayed on...so it must run off the fridge inverter also. I don't know how long it would run before the batteries depleted down enough that outside power was needed. I'm gonna play around with it this weekend and use both onboard and portable. Just mounted a hitch carrier to rear for Champion and a couple gas jugs. I'm probably gonna look like Jed Clampett...this is a learning curve for me but I LOVE options!! I just looked up the genturi...I'll have to have one of those also. My exhaust comes out just behind the front left tire.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:18 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
blw2, I believe his is a 6,000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator, so not quite the same as a gasser or propane as far as fuel consumption. Should be much better.

However, specs show his motorhome has two 13,500 A/Cs, so probably could run close to 50% generator load when running.

On the good side, specs also show MH model comes with 1,800 watt inverter, and if wired to power TVs like it should, there is no reason to run a generator at all on a cool evening just to watch TV. If/when batteries get low, then start generator to recharge them, and hopefully this coincides with time when air conditioner is needed.

If 40-gallon rear fuel tank is available 100% for generator (and it may not be), there should still be plenty of diesel for 3 days. That assumes MH engine has a different (front) fuel tank to get him back to a fuel station.

I'd confirm how much fuel is available from rear tank to power generator and go from there. Sounds to me that it's all good as is.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I missed any slamming. A gentleman asked a question and deserves to hear what everyone does.

I run the cheap generator mainly to extend life of the more expensive internal unit. I depend on a generator for a/c, air compressor, battery charger and coffee. The champion is rated 4000 surge/3500 running and works fine. My unit is at track a minimum of twice a month. In warm weather I run internal to keep coach cool on road so it get exercised plenty. My unit is a 2016 and has over 300 hours on the Onan. The cheap generator probably upwards of 1,200 hours on it. My property is deep and if I need ac power in back of property, I crank the cheap unit. It also saw service during hurricane season.

For watching TV and bluray/video games I mounted a 700 Watt inverter that allows me/family to watch when generators off in cool weather.

I may sound cheap but running excess capacity seems like a waste. I also feel it makes sense to match resources. I also like to keep as many options/combinations possible and carry a full spare.

I have never run at Commerce track, only SGMP, Carolina and Darlington in that area. Genturi for exhaust is great idea, I have one but have not needed at tracks I run yet. We like to park away from crowded areas.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Thor specs says for fuel: 28 gal front/40 gal rear...two tanks.

Thor specs also says that you have an auto generator start: Just run off the inverter and the genny will start automatically when the batteries get low (granted that doesn't help you if you need A/C, however).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #29

THOR #2121
It'd be good to know if rear tank fuel cuts off at 1/4 level like it does in most single-tank motorhomes. I'd expect it does, leaving only +/- 30 gallons useable.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
...as far as bothering neighbors...this is a drag race track...otherwise known here in the south as a "Gooberama"...
"Gooberama"?
Can we get that on Pay Per View??
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:37 PM   #31

THOR #11130
Great research...the tanks are 40R and 28F. With this model year, there is no longer a manual switch for tanks. The rear tank pumps fuel automatically into the front as you travel, as the chassis runs off front tank only. It's suppose to do this around 1/3 full on front but reality is, it keeps it full all the time. Front tank has not dropped below 3/4 at all. If you drive 150-200 miles to destination, you've pumped 10-15 gallons out of rear tank. The generator runs off the rear tank and auto-shuts down when that tank reaches between 5-8 gallons. If I were able to fill both tanks just prior to a 2-3 day dry camp, all is good. If I don't have that option...I need to be conscious of consumption. I'm sure I will work this out over time but it's all new to me right now. Having a portable available is comforting. Also, I am of the same mindset as Muggs...why run a 6000W diesel for the times a portable, throw away gas unit would be smarter and more economical.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:02 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You could always try rigging one of these gizmos at your campsite... Just think of all the onlooker comments that it would "generate"!

Old 05-03-2018, 11:29 PM   #33

THOR #11130
All that drama of his engineering speech of brilliance for over 6 minutes plus...just to chop some...ONIONS???? What a Goober!! I'd do margaritas!!
Old 05-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
What if you were to apply his engineering brilliance to an electric mixer for your margaritas?
Old 05-04-2018, 12:31 PM   #35

THOR #11130
He already has it in place...just replace the ingredients!! After a couple pitchers, we would probably throw all these generators in the pond and be in much better physical condition. As a "practicing person of preparedness", I have a friend who's son did almost the same thing here. He wired his "safety hut" with 12v batteries and rigged up a similar system with a hand crank to charge the batteries by day and use them for lighting and power at night.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #36

THOR #11130
Bob, I think I sent you a PM about your Spyder. Thinking going this option with a 12' cargo landscape trailer rather than a toad. I could carry larger items in the trailer as well and only have to deal with one axle. Backing and unhooking would be simple. How do you manage transporting and does it require motorcycle endorsement?
Old 05-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Every State has it's own licensing requirements: check with your DMV's website for the best info.
It fits up in the garage... barely! (fills it up completely!)
But once it's strapped down: it's going nowhere!

I'm sorry that I missed the PM... I think that I might have been at an all-day insurance seminar when it landed...
Old 05-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #38

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post

.....cut.....
Having a portable available is comforting. Also, I am of the same mindset as Muggs...why run a 6000W diesel for the times a portable, throw away gas unit would be smarter and more economical.
I have to side with your wife on this one. You bought a nice motorhome which includes a nice generator, so why not use it as intended? If not now, when?

Sure, it’s going to see wear, but so is everything else on the RV. If you wanted to be “economical”, a used cheap motorhome with a built-in “throw away” generator may have been a wiser choice.

The save-for-later mindset reminds me of my parents’ first new car a long time ago. They had the nice fabric seats covered so they would stay clean and not wear. When they sold the car after 10 years or so, they removed the plastic covers and the seats were like new. I’m certain the next owner enjoyed them a lot more.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Chance,
I'm betting that your folks knew more about the Great Depression; than they ever would have cared to divulge...
It always seems to me that the folks who endured that mess: learned to always pack something away for later!
God Bless ALL of them!
Old 05-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #40

THOR #2121
It’s unfortunate that Onan or Honda doesn’t make inverter generators for RVs (as far as I know) so just one can be fuel efficient, quiet, and lower maintenance.