Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #15515
GFCI Inline Adapter ????

I just installed a second A/C it is a Coleman Mach 3 Plus 13,500 BTU. It is a power saver. It uses 1075 watts and 13.5 amps. I used 12/2 romex and will be running it off a 15 amp inlet power plug using a 10 gauge cord. I did not install a circuit breaker and am planning on using an inline GFCI adapter. It is 15 amp in an 18 inch 12 gauge pigtail. Will this work? Will I turn my 10 gauge cord into a 12 gauge, you know the weakest link thing?
Thanks a lot,
Kevin

Old 08-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrooney View Post
I just installed a second A/C it is a Coleman Mach 3 Plus 13,500 BTU. It is a power saver. It uses 1075 watts and 13.5 amps. I used 12/2 romex and will be running it off a 15 amp inlet power plug using a 10 gauge cord. I did not install a circuit breaker and am planning on using an inline GFCI adapter. It is 15 amp in an 18 inch 12 gauge pigtail. Will this work? Will I turn my 10 gauge cord into a 12 gauge, you know the weakest link thing?
Thanks a lot,
Kevin

A GFCI adapter is not a circuit breaker... distinctly different purpose... so you will be relying on the circuit breaker of whatever you plug in to.
You already used 12/2 Romeo, so it is a 12 gauge circuit.
10 gauge still a good choice assuming a longer run as extension cord.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #3

THOR #15515
So the GFCI offers no protection and I will be depending on the 20 amp breaker at the CG pedestal?
Thank a lot.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
So the GFCI offers no protection and I will be depending on the 20 amp breaker at the CG pedestal?
Thank a lot.
Yes, that is correct. A gfi breaker will provide protection for amperage and ground fault. An outlet or adapter will not. Use 12/2 amp a 20 amp breaker. 15 will trip on startup. A/C does NOT require GFI protection.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #5

THOR #15515
Will the Campground 20 amp breaker offer enough protection by it self? I had a third A/C professionally installed in my previous RV and they did not install a breaker. Thanks
Old 08-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #6

THOR #15553
Quote:
Will the Campground 20 amp breaker offer enough protection by it self? I had a third A/C professionally installed in my previous RV and they did not install a breaker. Thanks
Yes, the 20 amp camp breaker will protect the A/C.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #7

THOR #15515
Thanks a lot.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Yes, that is correct. A gfi breaker will provide protection for amperage and ground fault. An outlet or adapter will not. Use 12/2 amp a 20 amp breaker. 15 will trip on startup. A/C does NOT require GFI protection.
Why you are not recommending a CAFCI breaker as they have been required in new construction for years?
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #9

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Why you are not recommending a CAFCI breaker as they have been required in new construction for years?
GFI circuits are required for plug in outlets that are within 6' of a water source. They are not required for A/C units. The 20 amp outlet on the pedestal is GFI protected so the op does not need to install a second one in-line.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #10

THOR #6411
Quote:
GFI circuits are required for plug in outlets that are within 6' of a water source. They are not required for A/C units. The 20 amp outlet on the pedestal is GFI protected so the op does not need to install a second one in-line.
I was recommending a combination arc fault circuit interrupter.

The CAFCI is a new version of the older ACFI breaker. Both trip like a standard circuit breaker when the circuit is overloaded with too much current or there is a short circuit, and the AFCI also trips when there is parallel arcing (hot-to-neutral or an arc to ground) in the protected circuit. Because arcing (you might call it “sparking”) in wiring is one of the the leading causes of house fires, this protection is important.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:39 PM   #11

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I was recommending a combination arc fault circuit interrupter.

The CAFCI is a new version of the older ACFI breaker. Both trip like a standard circuit breaker when the circuit is overloaded with too much current or there is a short circuit, and the AFCI also trips when there is parallel arcing (hot-to-neutral or an arc to ground) in the protected circuit. Because arcing (you might call it “sparking”) in wiring is one of the the leading causes of house fires, this protection is important.
Thank God AFCI's are not required in the RV world. Gfi's are problematic enough.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:36 PM   #12

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
it sounds like the OP is simply adding an additional A/C unit to his/her RV... which will run off it's own 'shore power' cord directly to another outlet, instead of being wired into his/her own Main Panel within the RV...

if that be so, then no GFCI or otherwise separate 'breaker' is needed, as the outlet's circuit breaker will be what protects the wiring, just like when you plug your Shore Cord into the campground's outlet. The circuit breaker that's already there takes care of it.

I do this with my son's camper since we installed a separate 'Hot Rod' electric water heater element into his 'propane' only original water heater. I simply plug the Hot Rod's 'extension cord' into the 15/20amp outlet at the campground's power pedestal. No need for any additional GFCI protection, or separate breaker - it's already there.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #13
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Yes, the 20 amp camp breaker will protect the A/C.
What is bypassed (assuming the rest of the rig is protected by some kind of hardwired or portable power management device) is high/low voltage conditions or improperly wired outlets...
An A/C unit is much more vulnerable to low voltage than an aux heater element...
While you can certainly verify proper wiring before plugging in with a simpler plug in tester, any surge or voltage out of normal is not stopped.

Haven’t seen a Surge Guard or similar meant for 20A service, but at least be aware what isn’t covered.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #14

THOR #15515
Thanks for all the response. I have a volt meter I can plug in to the 20 amp outlet at the CG to check the voltage.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks for all the response. I have a volt meter I can plug in to the 20 amp outlet at the CG to check the voltage.
That's great for no-load voltage. How ya gonna check the voltage when the AC is running?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:15 PM   #16

THOR #6411
Quote:
Thank God AFCI's are not required in the RV world. Gfi's are problematic enough.
I put CAFCI in all circuits when I converted the coach to 50 amps. Last year, I had the water heater 120 volt power partially trip showing an arc fault. I checked the junction box where the water heater relay is located and found one wire nut partially melted and the black wire scorched. Other than that, the 10 CAGFCIs have worked just like a normal magnet circuit breaker. I even have one in front of the bathroom GFCI in the bathroom and there has not been a problem. I have already experienced an electrical fire in my motor coach in 2008 and never want to experience another one.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #17

THOR #15515
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
it sounds like the OP is simply adding an additional A/C unit to his/her RV... which will run off it's own 'shore power' cord directly to another outlet, instead of being wired into his/her own Main Panel within the RV...

if that be so, then no GFCI or otherwise separate 'breaker' is needed, as the outlet's circuit breaker will be what protects the wiring, just like when you plug your Shore Cord into the campground's outlet. The circuit breaker that's already there takes care of it.

I do this with my son's camper since we installed a separate 'Hot Rod' electric water heater element into his 'propane' only original water heater. I simply plug the Hot Rod's 'extension cord' into the 15/20amp outlet at the campground's power pedestal. No need for any additional GFCI protection, or separate breaker - it's already there.
That's what I am doing. Seems to work just fine. Thanks