Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Greater livability: Width or length?

If we compared RVs of equal size based on floor living area, what do you think offers greater livability, width or length?

That is, comparing two trailers or two motorhomes to each other, what's more livable, short and wide, or long and narrow?

I'm saying of equal square feet living area so total RV size and weight are similar. Otherwise most of us would say bigger is better -- whether longer and/or wider.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If we compared RVs of equal size based on floor living area, what do you think offers greater livability, width or length?

That is, comparing two trailers or two motorhomes to each other, what's more livable, short and wide, or long and narrow?

I'm saying of equal square feet living area so total RV size and weight are similar. Otherwise most of us would say bigger is better -- whether longer and/or wider.
In my opinion, and we know what they say about opinions, if the width is in the main living area (living and dining room) then short and wide. If not then I would say long and narrow with a shorter bedroom.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
width.

Taking away a foot or two of length makes my bed so that it's not walk-around.... which is a problem a few minutes out of the day
but
take away my living room slide we would be tripping over each other all the time

edit: that being said, a walk around bed was on our must have list, while living room slide never really came up..... go figure!
Old 07-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #4

THOR #2121
blw2, perhaps most buyers now assume a living room slide as a given. I've seen opposing slides in living rooms that leave a center area too wide to be called an aisle.

Anyway, I agree that in smaller motorhomes like an Axis/Vegas that only have one short +/- 6-foot slide, that a comparable floor space (square feet) would only be a foot or two, but on larger units with more slides it would be a lot more. I estimate it would take at least 5-ft of extra length. And other than making driving and parking more difficult, an extra 5 feet of length gives a lot of floorplan flexibility too.

Closer to my interests, comparing a narrow coach like an Axis/Vegas that is 94-inches wide to a wide-body motorhome at up to 102 inches in width, the difference in interior width is about 8 inches (ignoring slides for now). So that would be like comparing a 27-foot Axis to a 25-foot wide body (thinking Winnebago model).

While the extra width would be great, what do you eliminate along the length to make up 2-feet on either side? Or do you save length by using a corner bed and corner bath? That's just one example of how designers save on length.

Personally, I hate corner beds, so if that was required to give me a little more space in the living area I would take the narrower MH.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Width: Don't really like the "tunnel" feeling of a long RV without slides.

Our first trailer didn't have a slide; our 2nd trailer had the standard couch+dinette slide and after that one we vowed to never have an RV without slides--they provide so much more livable space when camping.

I think I would, however, shy away from some of the larger units with the full-wall slides. Especially the ones with plumbing in the slide (sink, refer, stove, toilet, etc.).

Even the little slide on our 24.1 makes a big difference in how the unit feels with it out vs when its in (just 21" or so is huge on perception).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Jamie/ X2...

TOTALLY agree with the last statement about how much different it feels with the slide out vs. in on the Axis.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:32 PM   #7

THOR #1547
Interesting question!

When we downsized from a large class A, the number one "must have" was a more narrow coach. Hence we only looked at coaches with 96" or less width. Second on the list was a shorter length! We came down from 37' long and 101" wide, so we accomplished both of those!!

However, we would not be without a living room slide. We travel with two large dogs, and the living room slide, though small, makes a huge difference.

For us, the perfect Axis would be the 24.1 on a 450 chassis, so we could have a second slide, preferably in the bedroom. No more crawling into bed!!! It would also be at least a foot longer, with all of that extra length devoted to a bigger shower!! Now that would be just about perfection!!!

Meanwhile, we will continue to love our 24.1, whose size and floor plan most closely fits our needs!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #8

State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Jamie/ X2...

TOTALLY agree with the last statement about how much different it feels with the slide out vs. in on the Axis.
Larry, i'm getting ready to deal with Scott and his boss over at TV. Any last minute advice on how to get his lowest price? And are you totally happy looking back with your 24.1. That's the one i'm looking at today. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #9

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

I think it was you Chance who informed us of the transmission change in the Axis. I was told yesterday at the dealership i'm working with that the new 6 speed comes in the units being shipped in September. It's a change that moved me over the line.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #10

THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
Larry, i'm getting ready to deal with Scott and his boss over at TV. Any last minute advice on how to get his lowest price? And are you totally happy looking back with your 24.1. That's the one i'm looking at today. Thanks.
Don't remember meeting Scott the salesman as all our dealing was with Ivan the part owner. He quoted me a good price right up front and after attempting to negotiate with several other dealerships in other states none of the others could/would come close to his price on the 2015 with nearly all the optional equipment other than an oven; which we didn't want anyway. Their 2014s with less options were more expensive. So, with that said, I would suggest trying to get through to Ivan and see if what Scott has quoted you is his best price.

We really enjoy ours and haven't regretted the experience of it in the least. Suits us and our Lab Retriever quite well.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #11

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Don't remember meeting Scott the salesman as all our dealing was with Ivan the part owner. He quoted me a good price right up front and after attempting to negotiate with several other dealerships in other states none of the others could/would come close to his price on the 2015 with nearly all the optional equipment other than an oven; which we didn't want anyway. Their 2014s with less options were more expensive. So, with that said, I would suggest trying to get through to Ivan and see if what Scott has quoted you is his best price.

We really enjoy ours and haven't regretted the experience of it in the least. Suits us and our Lab Retriever quite well.
Thanks Larry, I just spoke with Ivan and gave me his best price. I'm satisfied with it, and it's coming in 5-6 weeks, with the new 6 speed tranny. It's got every option they have except the oven. instead it's got a microwave convection oven. I guess i'm a proud owner. wooooohoooo
Old 07-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #12

THOR #1123
Nice. Congrats! Now the long waiting game begins.

You'll like Ivan when you meet him.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26
I guess i'm a proud owner. wooooohoooo
Congrats, which floorplan did you end up ordering?
Old 07-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #14

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Congrats, which floorplan did you end up ordering?
i got the 24.1 with the slide in the living room. Is it normal to break out into the cold sweats after doing this?
Old 07-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #15

THOR #1123
If you were down here in GA, you'd be sweating outside but wouldn't be very cold.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
i got the 24.1 with the slide in the living room. Is it normal to break out into the cold sweats after doing this?
Congratulations, and thanks for posting approximate date of when the Ford 2016 chassis should start showing up.

My wife and I like the twin/king bed of the 24.1 best for sleeping, and all the extra interior storage that model provides above the beds. I also like that it offers more outside storage because of the simpler and symmetrical bed design. You should be very happy with it.

Initially we didn't like the 24.1 because the bathroom door looked poorly designed to me (maybe I should say over designed). I like simple stuff best. At the first RV show we saw a 24.1 the door didn't last 2 hours or so before someone broke it. The design was not idiot proof or child friendly. The new dual bathroom doors seem like an improvement, and I'm glad to have learned that the bathroom can be used without blocking the aisle.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #17

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happily Retired View Post
....cut....

For us, the perfect Axis would be the 24.1 on a 450 chassis, so we could have a second slide, preferably in the bedroom. No more crawling into bed!!! It would also be at least a foot longer, with all of that extra length devoted to a bigger shower!! Now that would be just about perfection!!!

Meanwhile, we will continue to love our 24.1, whose size and floor plan most closely fits our needs!
The E-450 chassis is presently too wide to fit under an Axis/Vegas unless Thor installs fender flares over back wheels.

It's interesting that my perfect Axis would be the very different than yours. Instead of an extra slide I would prefer none. If you start with the 25.2 model and add about a foot at rear, there would be enough length to fit the 24.1 twin/king bedroom, along with the extra interior and exterior storage that comes with it. And with the weight savings of no slides at all I think they might be able to add another foot or so to length. As long as total length was under 30-ft I would like to see Thor make a longer Axis.

Another difference would be that for my perfect Axis I would like to see an effort at reducing weight rather than beefing up the chassis to an E-450. Must be due to the Euro design influence I prefer where RVs are much lighter than ours.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #18

THOR #2121
Here is a block-style floorplan of an older MH that resembles a combination of Axis models. I copied from a consignment lot. Not to exact scale of course.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:11 PM   #19

THOR #2121
And a similar but longer model that may work on E-350 chassis if weight is kept low. This general layout has been popular/common for decades, except for twin beds.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:04 AM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I'm curious: Do you know how much weight a slide adds?

If it only adds like 500 lbs then saving the slide weight really isn't an issue, but if it adds 1000+ lbs then its a big deal.

Looking at our unit: without a slide you'd still have the couch, cabinets, walls, etc. So adding the slide just adds the weight of the Schwintek mechanism and any reinforcements in the slide and framing around the slide. Looking at the Schwintek videos it doesn't look like they'd weigh more than 100lbs or so thus I'd be inclined to think that in the 24.1 the extra weight from the slide is minimal.