Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2017, 01:18 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Gross Vehicle Weight

We have a 2015 Challenger 37TB that gives us great service. We have weighted the rig a couple of times (front and rear axle vs 4 corner) to insure appropriate tire inflation. Reading through another post today about a 2017 coach that showed up on the title paperwork as a 2016, I decide to check our VIN.

Funny thing, VIN shows a 2015 chassis with 26,000 GVWR vs. 22,000 GVWR advertised by Thor. Also, a 30,000 GCWR vs 26,000 GCWR advertised by Thor.

I stay conscious of the weight and loading to ensure safe operation. So the way I read this, I got a heavier chassis than Thor advertised.

I attached both the VIN lookup info and the 2015 brochure. I appreciate inputs. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ThorVIN Lookup.pdf (55.3 KB, 214 views)
File Type: pdf 2015 Thor Challenger Spec Page.pdf (532.0 KB, 134 views)

Old 08-23-2017, 01:42 AM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
why does it matter?
Old 08-23-2017, 01:55 AM   #3

THOR #1020
Don't want to over load the coach. i am running at the upper end of the specs from the brochure info and with all our "stuff" it is an effort to stay at the lower number. Don't want to add a ton more stuff but it would make it easier to run to the higher number.

Note: we spend about 8-9 months each year in our coach, often boondocking for 2 months at a time. So we need our "stuff".
Old 08-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #4

THOR #4735
I would not rely on any info other than what's shown on the sticker/label behind your driver seat.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Definitely go by what it says with your coach. Thor screwed us on our Class C. Everything for 2017 was E450, GVW 14,500, GCVW 22,000 when we ordered our coach but it was delivered as a 2018 on an E350, GVW 12,500, GCVW 18,500. Literature is meaningless to Thor. They do whatever and could care less about how changes affect the buyer. We've decided to drive it like it was a 450 and piss on Thor. #ThorLacksIntegrity
Old 08-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
Definitely go by what it says with your coach. Thor screwed us on our Class C. Everything for 2017 was E450, GVW 14,500, GCVW 22,000 when we ordered our coach but it was delivered as a 2018 on an E350, GVW 12,500, GCVW 18,500. Literature is meaningless to Thor. They do whatever and could care less about how changes affect the buyer. We've decided to drive it like it was a 450 and piss on Thor. #ThorLacksIntegrity
From one vet to another,,

I feel your pain with Thor, sometimes they just don't seem to get it!! On the other hand, I would be careful about exceeding those weights. Thor by law must post those numbers near the drivers seat, in the case of a trailer they are in a number of conspicuous laces, noting the maximum weights, empty weights etc.

If those weights are exceeded and there is a problem, Thor will claim no liability or responsibility since you knowingly exceeded those numbers.

When I take my rig in for service at a tire shop for alignment or a Ford dealer, they make me initial remarks on the service request that I don't want my tires inflated to the manufacturers recommended PSI. If I refuse to initial, then they refuse to work on it!

It's all a liability issue for Thor and Ford, but in your case where they advertised one set of numbers then delivered a rig with 20-30% less capacity, that's just wrong! I would definitely look into some type of legal remedy or action, sounds like they may have falsely advertised the numbers for that unit!!

Keep us posted!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post

.....cut.... I appreciate inputs. Thanks.
If you feel the paperwork is wrong and doesn't reflect the actual chassis that you have, there are a couple of things that can be check physically that are different between the 22,000- and 26,000-pound chassis according to Ford specs. I'd start there.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I know you've blasted this complaint all over the forum, and I agree they should have delivered what you ordered, but since we are talking about a Class C here with the OEM front fenders and badging; why did you accept the coach that was plainly badged as a 350 when you ordered a 450?
Old 08-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #9

THOR #1020
Just gonna keep doing what we do today- great it like a 22,000 lb chassis
Old 08-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #10

Model: Challenger 37tb
State: California
THOR #2678
Quote:
We have a 2015 Challenger 37TB that gives us great service. We have weighted the rig a couple of times (front and rear axle vs 4 corner) to insure appropriate tire inflation. Reading through another post today about a 2017 coach that showed up on the title paperwork as a 2016, I decide to check our VIN.

Funny thing, VIN shows a 2015 chassis with 26,000 GVWR vs. 22,000 GVWR advertised by Thor. Also, a 30,000 GCWR vs 26,000 GCWR advertised by Thor.

I stay conscious of the weight and loading to ensure safe operation. So the way I read this, I got a heavier chassis than Thor advertised.

I attached both the VIN lookup info and the 2015 brochure. I appreciate inputs. Thanks.
Hi Bigben,

What site did you use to look up your vin number?
Old 08-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #11

THOR #1020
Used this one https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php
Old 08-23-2017, 10:28 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Just gonna keep doing what we do today- great it like a 22,000 lb chassis
If that's what you've been doing all along: no problem!
But it might be worth a conversation with the folks that are in the Service Department. They would (or at least should!) know what they've been seeing under all of the bodywork...
Old 08-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #13

THOR #1020
Solved this one. Our Challenger 37TB is a stretched 242" WB. Thus the lower limits. So we'll just stick with our initial load and carry plans.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:35 AM   #14

THOR #4735
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
From one vet to another,,
... but in your case where they advertised one set of numbers then delivered a rig with 20-30% less capacity, that's just wrong! ...!

WAIT just a doggone minute!.....

you are complaining that you read about the weights in a brochure before you purchased the coach? if so, why did you buy the coach if the sticker on the coach showed different numbers?

if you DIDN'T look at a brochure BEFORE you purchased the coach, then why are you complaining NOW? The coach has a sticker that CLEARLY states it's weights.

You are arguing a point that you are now 'wronged' somehow, yet neither instance would produce that outcome. Using information 'after the fact' makes no sense in this scenario.

it's like signing a contract and then complaining later that you didn't read the fine print, and it therefore shouldn't apply to you.

sorry for the rant, but it annoys me when someone is always 'blaming' someone else, especially a large corporation, about something that they assumed, and did did not choose to check themselves before they did the deal.... if it was as really that important to them as it is now.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:49 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

you are complaining that you read about the weights in a brochure before you purchased the coach? if so, why did you buy the coach if the sticker on the coach showed different numbers?

if you DIDN'T look at a brochure BEFORE you purchased the coach, then why are you complaining NOW? The coach has a sticker that CLEARLY states it's weights.

You are arguing a point that you are now 'wronged' somehow, yet neither instance would produce that outcome. Using information 'after the fact' makes no sense in this scenario.

it's like signing a contract and then complaining later that you didn't read the fine print, and it therefore shouldn't apply to you.

sorry for the rant, but it annoys me when someone is always 'blaming' someone else, especially a large corporation, about something that they assumed, and did did not choose to check themselves before they did the deal.... if it was as really that important to them as it is now.
Then let me make it clear. We researched DEALERS (all E450, the product literature and/or website quoted the GVW and GCVW and in some cases specifically E450, and the factory rep I spoke with at the RV show validated the GVW and GCVW, of the specific model I ordered Four Winds 26B. When we took delivery we did check out the unit but did not notice the little badge on the fender said E350 instead of E450 since they are nearly identical and who would have ever imagined they would switch our order to a lesser product. It's not like i ordered a Ford and it showed up on a Chevy. I didnt notice right away either as we had enough other issues to deal with. NO DEALER SUPPORT and NO FACTORY SUPPORT. I don't necessarily have a long lifetime ahead of me so giving it back and being without for god knows how long isn't an option I will settle for. I invested my life savings in a product a did year's worth of research on. Had Thor or the DEALER either one contacted me and said hey we are changing this model to an E350 for 2018 do you still want it i would have said NO. But NOBODY made any contact with me about. Hence my attitude that I will reiterate #ThorLacksIntegrity. This deal was slid on the table and YES I MISSED IT. I"M SCREWED. Neither Thor or the DEALER want's to have anything to do with this because they know they screwed me and unless I take legal action they have simply blown me off. Well being a veteran I take their actions as a manufacturer seriously and their lack of action speaks volumes in my opinion as to how pathetic their management is towards buyers in general. I call them, I email them. I'm not rude or belligerent. I've not asked for anything outrageous from them. And trust me anyone buying a 26B on an E350 will be overloaded on the road because it's heavy to start with and when you add 2 adults, a small dog, a tank a water, and minimal weekend supplies it weights in at 12,400 lbs and I travel extremely light compared to most. No toolbox, no wood tire blocks, etc. In fact my big storage compartment is nearly empty except for a water hose, 2 life vests, a road flare kit, and two old fashioned aluminum lawn chairs.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:00 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Who's ready for some ice cream?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Back to the whole GVW issue...
I got a copy of my rig's MSO tiday.
This shipping weight is 12,254, and the DVW is 14,500
I was really happy, until some Math broke out...
Fuel is worth about 450 pounds
My Spyder (In the garage...) is 1,200 pounds.
That's actually leaving only about 600 pounds: for ALL of the other stuff!
Can anyone tell me how they prioritize things?
(Other than giving the GVW number a very LOW priority???)
Thanks!
Old 08-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #18

THOR #4735
what is 'shipping weight' and 'DVW' ?
Old 08-25-2017, 12:17 AM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Dry Vehicle Weight or GVW misspelled?
Old 08-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
what is 'shipping weight' and 'DVW' ?
DVW is just my fat thumbs throwing another typo into the mix...
I should have caught it...