Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Handling Thor Freedom Elite 26HE

I am a newbie at this and figured that driving this is not like dring a car. Put 2000 miles on it a few weeks ago and it was ok as far as my concerns. Still, it seems like you're chasing the wheels. Nothing outrageous but trucks passing, a puff of wind, will need a readjustment. Is this normal? I know that a little move on the wheel goes all the way to the back and you need to adjust but I'm more concerned that over 65, it seems like the cab and front wheels want to find their own way down the road. I know there are lots of combinations of shocks, sway bars etc but am I expecting too much from a truck/RV ride?
GB

Old 11-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Being a newbie; I suspect that you're looking for a mechanical problem where none might exist... Give yourself some time and miles, to figure out how things work...

There's certainly a HUGE possibility that some "stuff" might make your rig handle better. In the meantime: make sure that your tire pressures are good, and the front-end is properly aligned.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:33 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I have a Four Winds 26B which is basically the same unit. Take it to a Ford Truck Service Center capable of working on your RV and have them install the caster/camber adjusters and realign it for highway use. It will make a world of difference. I was on the road in all the wind a couple weeks ago and managed to get around quite well. Thor or the dealer will likely not pay for it but you can take that issue up with them. Regardless, get it done and the knuckles will quit being white (most of the time-after all it is a big box in the wind). In fact on normal days I have no problem safely rolling down the highway at 75mph (the posted speed limit in some states).

Also, some of your initial issues were likely related to what some refer to as dually scrub which is new tires on a dually before it scrubs the edges in a little and the single track worn into many highways.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #4

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Being a newbie; I suspect that you're looking for a mechanical problem where none might exist... Give yourself some time and miles, to figure out how things work...

There's certainly a HUGE possibility that some "stuff" might make your rig handle better. In the meantime: make sure that your tire pressures are good, and the front-end is properly aligned.
Thanks Bob....I'm sure that's part of it. Tire pressures seem to be the recommended and I could probably spend the time more wisely by getting used to the rig rather than getting parts changed in and out.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #5

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I have a Four Winds 26B which is basically the same unit. Take it to a Ford Truck Service Center capable of working on your RV and have them install the caster/camber adjusters and realign it for highway use. It will make a world of difference. I was on the road in all the wind a couple weeks ago and managed to get around quite well. Thor or the dealer will likely not pay for it but you can take that issue up with them. Regardless, get it done and the knuckles will quit being white (most of the time-after all it is a big box in the wind). In fact on normal days I have no problem safely rolling down the highway at 75mph (the posted speed limit in some states).

Also, some of your initial issues were likely related to what some refer to as dually scrub which is new tires on a dually before it scrubs the edges in a little and the single track worn into many highways.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I will give it a little more time and see what Ford/Thor/CW might do for me. I suspect the situation will improve as I get used to it. Happy Motoring.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #6

Model: thor 22FE
State: Georgia
THOR #3371
if you pay close attention you will notice that certain 18 wheelers are worse than others i.e. kenworth. if they have airflow dynamics in place like on top of the cab and those side panels in between the wheels on the trailer. then again sprinter chassis vans also have the same kind of effect and really push the air off to the sides. also the wind direction plays a key factor. i always wonder if these hotel van cutaways e350 and e450 have the same issue or if aerodynamics are better with different suspension.

patrick
Old 11-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Thanks Bob....I'm sure that's part of it. Tire pressures seem to be the recommended and I could probably spend the time more wisely by getting used to the rig rather than getting parts changed in and out.
My Grampa Denman used to always tell me that "It's a poor mechanic; who blames his tools first..."

I just hate to see folks spend money on something that they might not need.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Thanks for the detailed answer. I will give it a little more time and see what Ford/Thor/CW might do for me. I suspect the situation will improve as I get used to it. Happy Motoring.
Don't take my word for it. Talk to a Ford Truck Fleet Service tech. Ford cutaway chassis can only have the toe in/toe out adjusted after the mh is built on the chassis. They drive fine around town and in fact turn rather sharp in many cases, but have drift issues on the highway which lends itself to chasing the steering wheel endlessly to keep it going straight.

If you notice your steering wheel is a little off center and typically rotated a bit to the right I guarantee you'll be much happier with having the caster/camber adjusters installed and the realignment done.

But like I said... go talk with a Ford Fleet Truck service (aka a ford dealer that is capable and has worked on RVs or big box trucks.).
Old 11-13-2017, 12:22 AM   #9

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjciii View Post
if you pay close attention you will notice that certain 18 wheelers are worse than others i.e. kenworth. if they have airflow dynamics in place like on top of the cab and those side panels in between the wheels on the trailer. then again sprinter chassis vans also have the same kind of effect and really push the air off to the sides. also the wind direction plays a key factor. i always wonder if these hotel van cutaways e350 and e450 have the same issue or if aerodynamics are better with different suspension.

patrick
Yes Patrick you're right. The 18 wheelers push you as the cab is about even with mine. The tankers don't give you the initial push but buffet you after they get around. The worst was about a 2 decker armored truck looking thing. It wasn't long but high and it screwed the air up until it was about 100 feet away.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:24 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
I drive my stock 2017 26fe at 70-75 mph all the time. I even pull a 7,000lb boat sometimes at 70. Wind is a huge factor. its a big sail so its going to catch some wind.

A alignment is a good thing to do if you can find a place to do it. If anything you will save your tires. Lots can be added to help and I will be adding those items as soon as I hit 3 years or 36k miles but otherwise mine drives very well. It is however Very different then a car and takes some getting used to.

I used to have a 2000 33' class A and my class c is like a sports car compared to that.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #11

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
Don't take my word for it. Talk to a Ford Truck Fleet Service tech. Ford cutaway chassis can only have the toe in/toe out adjusted after the mh is built on the chassis. They drive fine around town and in fact turn rather sharp in many cases, but have drift issues on the highway which lends itself to chasing the steering wheel endlessly to keep it going straight.

If you notice your steering wheel is a little off center and typically rotated a bit to the right I guarantee you'll be much happier with having the caster/camber adjusters installed and the realignment done.

But like I said... go talk with a Ford Fleet Truck service (aka a ford dealer that is capable and has worked on RVs or big box trucks.).
Thanks....sounds like a reasonable solution. I'm going to do some checking.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:15 PM   #12

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentilebrian View Post
I drive my stock 2017 26fe at 70-75 mph all the time. I even pull a 7,000lb boat sometimes at 70. Wind is a huge factor. its a big sail so its going to catch some wind.

A alignment is a good thing to do if you can find a place to do it. If anything you will save your tires. Lots can be added to help and I will be adding those items as soon as I hit 3 years or 36k miles but otherwise mine drives very well. It is however Very different then a car and takes some getting used to.

I used to have a 2000 33' class A and my class c is like a sports car compared to that.
Just found a Ford dealership in the area (right beside a big campground) that is putting in bigger facilitates to make room for RVs. They will do a realignment and tire balance....it's free for the first 12,000 on my Thor Freedom Elite. I'll let you all know the difference if there is one...within the next month sometime.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:39 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Good luck!
Old 11-14-2017, 12:38 AM   #14