Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2016, 05:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29h
State: Missouri
THOR #980
Harris Batteries (coach)

Until I purchased my Outlaw 29H, I had never even heard of "Harris" batteries. Well there must be a good reason, these must be the cheapest, worst batteries on the market. The coach was manufactured June of 2014, and by March of 2016, both batteries were shot. I was camped out for a month in Gulf Shores Alabama, and attached to 30 amp shore power, one day I got a beep from the inverter and when checking it I saw voltage was steadily dropping everyday. The batteries would not hold a charge and the control panel indicated low voltage. So Out came the batteries and I hauled them to Camping World (just down the road) and confirmed they were indeed dead, and replaced them with Excide Deep Cycle batteries. That did the trick, electrical systems were good after that.

Of coarse the warranty from Thor is one year so I was SOL there.

To be fair, early on I also had to replace the cheap, FORD battery in the engine compartment. But that was covered under warranty from FORD.

Forewarned is to be prepared !

Towed: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Toy hauling: BMW F700 GS & G650 GS (Sertao)
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:01 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
One thing to keep in mind:

RV converters come in all grades. Some of the cheaper ones are very hard on batteries. Unless you already have, research the converter that came with your RV and make sure it has the proper circuitry to totally care for your batteries as well as just keep them charged. The last RV we had (made by Thor) was equipped with a very cheap converter which if not replaced would have ruined the AGM batteries in a very short while. I'm not saying your batteries were not the problem. However it would be best to research the converter so the problem does recur. If you RV is wired like ours, the converter also charges the truck battery when on shore power and could ruin it also. Unfortunately I only know enough to be aware that this can be a problem, but not enough to tell you if your current converter could be the problem.

We are about to take our maiden camping trip in our new motorhome. It's just a few days' shakedown cruise. When I get back, I plan to do a thorough research and evaluation of the converter and batteries.

Ken
Old 08-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
We have some unknown brand of house battery. Specific Gravity checks have shown them to be marginal at best. Nothing I have been able to do will get them into the good range. We have had the coach since May. Had I known would have swapped out these for my 2 year old excides.

Excide Stowaways are good batteries IMO and at $90 each at Tractor Supply a good price on a 105 Ah deep cycle.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
There is a thread here on Harris Batteries
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:43 AM   #5

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
There is a thread here on Harris Batteries
I've tried to find that thread, but either I don't recognize it or am using the wrong search terms. I'd appreciate a link if anyone has it.

Ken
Old 08-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Ohio
THOR #4150
my batteries are also shot on my 2015 thor axis, i am looking to replace them along with the converter. I was hoping that someone had some recommendations on a specific model/brand of battery and in regards to the converter as well. Is the converter easy to replace or would I have to take it to a shop?
Old 08-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusdecimus View Post
my batteries are also shot on my 2015 thor axis, i am looking to replace them along with the converter. I was hoping that someone had some recommendations on a specific model/brand of battery and in regards to the converter as well. Is the converter easy to replace or would I have to take it to a shop?
Check out post #3
Old 08-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Look under Fina report harris batter and Wfo charger/converter
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
The wfco 8955 can be changed easily, 5 wires and two screws. Go with Iota with IQ4 or maybe progressive dynamics with the pendent.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Switched my Harris junkos to Interstate. I had Interstate deep cycles in my fishing boats for years. Now they are not used as much but the one I have now in my boats been working for 5 years.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #4687
Do all 2016/2017 AXIS/VEGAS have the HARRIS batteries?

There is no name I can see n mine
Old 08-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Do all 2016/2017 AXIS/VEGAS have the HARRIS batteries?

There is no name I can see n mine
Mine where not well marked had to look for stamp, I don't think they are very proud of their battery.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I just replaced the two Harris batteries that failed. According to the sticker on the side of the batteries, they were made in 4/14. I replaced them with AGM batteries from Batteries Plus Bulbs for $319 each. After reading this thread, it is possible that the converter in our 2015 27K Windsport isn't designed to maintain the batteries? I wonder what specific convertor anyone has used to replace the one that came in their Thor RV?

According to the RV manual, the converter is designed to provide battery maintenance once the batteries have reached a fully charged state.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #14

THOR #4719
We recently sold our 7 year old Airstream trailer. It came equipped with Lifeline AGM batteries. After reading a lot of information on RV Converters, I replaced the cheap crappy converter that came with the Airstream a few weeks after we got it. I replaced it with an IOTA DLS-55/IQ4. The IQ4 part is important. Our trailer spent a lot of time on shore power as it was plugged in even when stored. So, a high quality converter was necessary to save the batteries.

IOTA Product Specifications

The batteries were still functioning as new when we sold the trailer.

With our motorhome, I plan to make the same swap, but i'm not in a big hurry because apparently the batteries are substandard also. However it will get done in a few months.

Ken
Old 08-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
I have had my share of troubles with Harris Batteries (search for thread "Final Report Harris Batteries and WFCO charger/converter).

After replacement no problem.

Note: Case reported this Forum of the batteries being spraypainted over the Harris name...so you may have to search to find what you have.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
Case reported this Forum of the batteries being spraypainted over the Harris name...so you may have to search to find what you have.
Yeah that was mine. Had red paint over the battery, could only see "rris" on the battery.

Not sure where the paint came from as the compartment didn't have any matching paint.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #17

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
We recently sold our 7 year old Airstream trailer. It came equipped with Lifeline AGM batteries. After reading a lot of information on RV Converters, I replaced the cheap crappy converter that came with the Airstream a few weeks after we got it. I replaced it with an IOTA DLS-55/IQ4. The IQ4 part is important. Our trailer spent a lot of time on shore power as it was plugged in even when stored. So, a high quality converter was necessary to save the batteries.

IOTA Product Specifications

The batteries were still functioning as new when we sold the trailer.

With our motorhome, I plan to make the same swap, but i'm not in a big hurry because apparently the batteries are substandard also. However it will get done in a few months.

Ken
Thanks for the information. Until I decide about upgrading the converter, I will use a plug-in battery maintainer during long term storage. The problem is that I should also use a maintainer on the engine battery, since it will not be changed if the storage/use switch is set to storage.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:08 PM   #18

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Replaced my 14 month old dead Harris yesterday.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #19

THOR #2817
I am not blaming the Harris batteries entirely for the failure after two years and four months. At least twice I left the storage/run switch on run while not charging for a long enough time that the batteries were down to about five volts. Also I was negligent in checking the cells for electrolyte and had to add a lot of water more than once. Then this week I opened the compartment and found that the batteries were boiling and very hot. Three cells on two batteries appeared to be dry. After filling them with distilled water and leaving the RV on shore power over night, the batteries were boiling and there was a strong sulfur smell. After removing the batteries I measured the voltage at 10.4 and 12.4 volts (one failed and the other was probably damaged by the failed battery). The new batteries are maintenance free and have knurled brass posts instead of lead posts. So I had to use battery adapter sets.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:26 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
I have had my share of troubles with Harris Batteries (search for thread "Final Report Harris Batteries and WFCO charger/converter).

After replacement no problem.

Note: Case reported this Forum of the batteries being spraypainted over the Harris name...so you may have to search to find what you have.

Doc
Doc

Did you just replace the batteries? Or the batteries and converter?

What batteries did you replace them with?

(You might have already stated this, but cant find it while posting on my phone)

Mike