Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Done that one already to the whole rig!! My hair is a gorgeous shade of Cabernet!!

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We're not judging...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:39 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'll bet that your ice-maker is the most popular one in the Park!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #24

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
THOR #12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
csseeker...Since you joined, you have the maps and details. I saw a YT video of a really cool winery around Adel, GA not too far west off I-75. That will be our first mini-road trip. Let's not just go buy wine around the corner and bring it home..let's load out the MH...drive 150 miles, stay overnight and get the same wine. Why not?? Isn't THAT what THIS is all about??
Absolutely. We are headed north after the 14th of August. Head to the car museum in Tallahassee, and then up into the mountains for cooler weather. 3 stops using Harvest Hosts.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #25

THOR #11130
Give us reviews of your stays here on this thread. I know the rules state you can't mention names but a general overview of value and things you did would be helpful.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #26

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
yeah, i must have been confusing with some other similar program. I seem to remember mention of golf courses in that one... as in someone contacted the golf course near them that was supposed to be in the program just to verify the thing was real...and the golf course complained, saying they didn't know what it was or how they got on the list

Anyway, yeah...this does sound very interesting to me. Looking in my general weekend trip range, there aren't very many on the map...and most all of them are very rural.

I do see mention of some museums and such...and that is among the things we often do on trips...great places for the kids and us to take breaks...and their large parking lots after hours could be perfect for overnighting. Potentially better than retail type places I think.... I'd love to find a similar organization more focused on those type places....We've asked a few times though, and have been denied. I guess the more urban places are likely to be restricted under ordinances.

Looking at the map, I'd say this harvest host program could be wonderful for folks that do longer road trips all the time and need stops along the way to some other destination. I've got to say the idea of doing an extended winery tasting tour does seem like a fun idea...with all the tasting done afternoon or evening...then stay the night, then on to the next one!
Old 08-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #10872
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I've got to say that your is, I think, the first post I've ever read that had good things to say....
I've seem this question come up several times now, on another forum and maybe here too, not sure... Well at least I think it was harvest host...maybe it was another similar thing.

Anyway, I really want to love the idea of that sort of service. I often think about how there are so many places with huge parking lots that would be perfect overnight spots...office buildings, businesses of all sorts, golf courses, and on and on.... But I can see how a few bad egg RV'ers either overstaying their welcome, leaving trash, etc... could really mess it up for others. I mean I'd love to think that if I were a business owner that had a place that say, was closed weekends, that I could list it for use..maybe with a one or two night limit, out by a certain time in teh morning, or whatever...but I can totally imagine the potential dangers and headaches too. Insurance problems, trash, damage, or maybe the worst might be squatters that won't leave.

Anyway, it seems like mostly what I read it sounds like it could be a scam of some sort....with folks reporting that they approach some of the listed places only to find out that they've either never heard of it or they have repeatedly asked to be removed from the directory. AM I thinking of something else, and not harvest host?

Do you promise that harvest host isn't your business or employer?

Also, is it mostly regional, like say lots of places out west but not so many in other areas?
Harvest Hosts is NOT our business or employer. We just love the program and use it often. It certainly is NOT a scam.

Host sites are available throughout the US, Canada and Baja California. We have stayed at places in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Virginia, Kentucky, etc. and look forward to adding many states to the list.

www.offourrockerrv.com
Off Our Rocker RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #28

State: Ontario
THOR #9188
Me too

Definitely NOT a scam. WE found a winery in New Mexico, of all places. had a very nice stay. Did not love their wines, no problem, no demand to buy.
also stayed in the Temecula Valley in California ( little Tuscany). Woke up in the morning with 30+ hot air balloons overhead. Also liked their wines so bought some.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #29

THOR #11130
After much research we just joined...and what a unique upscale opportunity this program unfolds. We will be testing one out not far from the house this weekend. They are everywhere and most are off the beaten path, but no so far off that the experience wouldn't be worth the few extra miles...which appear to average 5-10 from interstates. Some are within a mile. The Harvest Host website doesn't come anywhere near close to listing the number of places that are actually "on the map". They have done an excellent job of keeping this low-profile for members and protecting the integrity of the vendors. Every location I've researched accepts RV's 40' and over, allows pets and many have water and electric available. Most of the wineries and farms offer onsite grown fruits and vegetables with pick-your-own options and many have shops and cafes or restaurants, hayrides, tours...too many to list. One visit will pay for the annual fee. If you travel with kids or grand-kids this should be a must!! If you decide to join please use my name and member number 20765 and we'll both get an extra month added to our membership! Ultimately and FYI...I'm more interested in sharing this opportunity than trying to get another month free!!
Old 08-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #30

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #10872
As an affiliate we can offer an additional 10% off your membership. We love this program. It has allowed us to overnight in a number of unique spots throughout the country during our full-time travels. http://harvesthosts.refr.cc/offourrockerrv

www.offourrockerrv.com
Off Our Rocker RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #31

THOR #12340
We'll be staying near Tallahassee, FL this weekend at a harvest host. We've already contacted them and are good to stay Saturday night. They wanted as much notice as possible before our stay.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #32

THOR #11130
"As an affiliate we can offer an additional 10% off your membership."

Off Our Rocker RV...I can do the same thing...as an affiliate! Start your own thread if you think this is a great program that you want to share with the Forum...quit trying to freeload off what others have started here! You've been on the road 417 days of which you brag that 270 of them have been "free" at someone else's expense. You beg on your website for donations to support your drinking habit. Be original and start something on your own!! Do you follow others everywhere you go??
Old 08-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #33

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Harvest Host is interesting, but I find that you 'must' be a member before they reveal any of the locations ... so how is one to 'know' that they would be interested in any of the locations?
I can understand the owner of the winery, farm, or location might not want to be inundated by non-members, but it seems to me that since you must contact the owner at least a day ahead of time anyway, they would be able to limit any visitors regardless... plus, it might actually drive business TO them if they were actually shown on the site, even if the RVr was not staying the night.

It seems a little counter-intuitive to the business's platform - maybe they could reveal some basics, such as general location, general type of farm/business, and some of the expected amenities, just not the exact business name, location address, or contact info - at least.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #34

THOR #11130
Most of them advertise and already have a thriving business. Some even ask you not to show up till near closing time because they are busy and lots are full. The RV end of this seems to be a small portion of their operation and is offered up more as an act of kindness than anything else. They do it hoping you will spend money and patronize their business. That's how I see it anyway. I had the same questions so, for $49 I thought I'd give it a whirl since it's money back if not satisfied. Once you see the map of locations...pretty amazing!!

Also, regarding referrals or affiliates...I asked for you guys to use me as referral so we can get an extra month and extend the fun together...As an affiliate, the 10% discount is in lieu of the extra month. What they don't tell you is...if you sign on through an "affiliate", the affiliate gets paid cash for your membership directly to them. You guys are my friends here and the extra free month together means more than making money off of you. Why sell your soul for less than $4!!! NOTHING IS FREE!! Someone, somewhere will pay for it!!
Old 08-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #35

THOR #11130
Turner...while members are not suppose to reveal names and locations, there are a number of videos on YouTube where they have done just that. Search Harvest Host on YouTube...watch a couple of the videos...it will answer all of your questions. Very impressive so far.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:16 AM   #36
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
How timely, just found this video:

(Yeah I know it popped up because of this thread and the fact that I went to the HH website which has a video on it... darn web tracking! LOL)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #37

THOR #11130
We did our first Harvest Host this weekend...needed a little road trip and dog RV training so we headed to South Georgia and checked out a winery (Sparks, GA). Unbelievable experience to boondock in the middle of a vineyard. We did the tasting, bought a case (that's what we went for), a few gifts for the Christmas Closet and had dinner in their Bistro which was an excellent meal. I had their signature rib-eye and wife had ahi tuna. the real fun started when they closed and all employees went home. We owned the entire estate for the night and the dogs could run forever. When was the last time you walked through a dew covered vineyard in your PJ's with coffee at 7AM and tasted fresh grapes from the vine?? The boondock light in my wife's head finally switched "ON" and she became a huge fan of "disconnect". Harvest Host locations will become a weekly reset button in our travels across the country once we hit the road in the Spring. What a unique experience!!!
Old 08-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #38

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
We did our first Harvest Host this weekend...needed a little road trip and dog RV training so we headed to South Georgia and checked out a winery (Sparks, GA). Unbelievable experience to boondock in the middle of a vineyard. We did the tasting, bought a case (that's what we went for), a few gifts for the Christmas Closet and had dinner in their Bistro which was an excellent meal. I had their signature rib-eye and wife had ahi tuna. the real fun started when they closed and all employees went home. We owned the entire estate for the night and the dogs could run forever. When was the last time you walked through a dew covered vineyard in your PJ's with coffee at 7AM and tasted fresh grapes from the vine?? The boondock light in my wife's head finally switched "ON" and she became a huge fan of "disconnect". Harvest Host locations will become a weekly reset button in our travels across the country once we hit the road in the Spring. What a unique experience!!!
Sounds like an awesome time! Not to mention getting the wife to see the value in boondocking... a bonus!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #39

THOR #12340
We spent our first night at a harvest host 2 nights ago outside Tallahassee, FL. It was great. Can't mention the business but it was a museum. We were the only ones there after they closed and locked the gate. Super quiet. BTW the museum was totally awesome. We both loved it. They offered us any number of nights we wanted and anytime in the future. We enjoyed the boondocking.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #40

THOR #11130
I know that place and it's on our list. Traveling in an RV is about culture, having fun and discovering unique places and experiences. Even if you don't drink, the wineries have excellent gift shops and most have some type of cafe or restaurant. The farms offer fresh produce and meats, farm animals for the kids to interact with and many have pick-your-own programs. Scheduling these stops around your routes and stocking up on the best of the best products is what this program is about, not to mention meeting some really nice local folks and learning a little about their local area.