Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Vermont
THOR #386
Help with more Thor 24C issues

Well we are back from a 9000 mile road trip! Can't say that it was our best trip from a "worry standpoint" with this new RV.
Would like to get some input from other forum members on several issues.

Our water heater has two switches on the control panel. The obvious one for propane and one for electric. The propane works as one would expect, however the electric does not. A rep said there was a switch on the heater that needed to be turned on. The manual says that you can run both at the same time to increase the heating time. There is no such switch so I removed all the cushions and seat platforms to see if the "switch" was under the seats near the tank. I can find no such switch and I can not find any 120 vac wiring going to the heater unit. Any ideas?

Our slide which has been used maybe twenty times during the trip is not returning to the rested position correctly. The rear comes in first and rests against the body as one would expect. The front catches up a bit later and then rests against the body as it should. The total travel with the front portion "in the catch up mode" is around 2 inches. As you drive the Rv the front portion of the slide releases a bit and sets around 3/4 of an inch away from the resting position. At this point the movement of the coach causes the slide to emit rubbing noises that is very annoying. You can see where the slide is rubbing against the main body when it has released a bit.
Anyone having similar issues?

Our cabinet hinge pins keep falling out. We have reinstalled them but they fall out from the result of road vibration. Stupid but again annoying. Is there a fix for this?

Our cabin heater unit works but the one and only duct which is by the dinette is dead. No air flow going or coming. Thought it may be a cold air return but it appears not to be. The ducting is run into the heater cabinet and appears to be hooked up. Anyone have any experience with this type of heating unit?

I know that I can take this to a dealer. Our nearest dealer is 50 miles away and although I have called them I have not received a call back from them....yet!

And for those that remember my "vibration thread" I will add that we are still fighting those issues as well. More on that later.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
for the slide, it sounds like it needs to be readjusted by the dealer. For the heater I don't know about another switch but I would check your anode.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
I can't say I know of any switches on the water heater.
As far as wiring going to the the WH, if you open the outside door on the WH compartment you will be able to tell there if it has electrical wires coming to it or not. Mine are very visible.
If you have the SCHWINTEK IN-WALL SLIDE system, they have been a big problem for everyone who has them. Some say they just have to be "reset" synchronized, others had to have the motors replaced, and the list goes on.
The hinge problem--in my opinion, they will have to replace the entire hinge to fix the problem.
On the heat problem, have you pulled the floor register off and looked in there with a mirror and flashlight? Some times the run is disconnected or hasn't been connected, and sometimes the "end" of the run hasn't been closed off and all the heat is being forced into the under belly.
If that particular floor register is coming directly from/off the furnace, trace it back to where it hooks on to the furnace and see if it's connected, plus check to make sure the plates are all in place and haven't fallen off. You might want to use some aluminum furnace tape on some of this stuff to ensure it stays on and to seal any leaks,