Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2019, 02:07 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #15721
Exclamation Hot Water Heater Help

We were using our hot water heater daily. No issues. Suddenly one morning we flipped on the pilot light switch (inside the coach), but the light indicating "pilot out" kept coming back on.

We have a Thor Freedom Elite 26 HE 2018.

There is no reset or on/off button outside that we can find. We may possibly have dirt in our gas line, but would have no idea how to remedy that. BTW our stove burners light and run just fine.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:25 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't know your coach specifics, but since no one else has responded so far....... It sounds like (from your description) that you have a tank style water heater. So propane is on, as you say the stove lights OK.....and I assume your furnace also operates OK?

The light on the water heater switch illuminates and cycles with ignition attempts, so likely you have 12vdc to water heater control board I would "expect". When you turn on the water heater switch can a second person outside near the water heater hear the gas valve click open and then spark trying to ignite the gas? Does the gas actually ignite (flames) OK, but then go out shortly after? If you get to flame OK, but then it goes out and tries to restart again, it might be a dirty flame sensor.

Your water heater manual should suggest other reasons for failure to ignite. If you are not familiar with working on gas appliances though, I would suggest hiring a mobile tech or have an RV Dealer help you resolve this. At least though you can advise them with a little more information about where you get to (or not) in the ignition process.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:19 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Answer Javelin's questions and one more. If you turn the Gas switch off, will it work with the Electric switch on?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
it's late so you have likely figured it out by now....hope so....
but if not
it might be insects or something in the burner. Seems like it doesn't take much of a spider to mess it up. I had something in mine once and I never saw it....someplace either in the area right where the burner is, or in the chimney (?) tube, or the gas jet. I blew it all out with an air compressor and it worked fine after.

I'd take the cover off outside, flip on the LP switch then run around outside to watch what is happening...
is it trying to light?
is it sparking?