Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2019, 07:49 PM   #21

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
Thanks for all your help. I will take a look next week and see if I can do this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2439.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	21184
the one that’s labeled “kitchen “ is the breaker for the GFCI plugs. We are about to leave so I can’t get a picture from the back. Can you tell from this pic if a gfci breaker will work/fit?

Old 10-31-2019, 09:11 PM   #22

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
I won’t detail the entire story, no one has that amount of time. But over a six month period I took the MH to eight different people. The authorized Tiffin warranty provider was my favorite. They could not get a GFCI to work ever. They called Thor and did everything they suggested and nothing worked.

Please tell me the down side of not having a GFCI? And what I should look out for or not do. The choice of adding a (imho) GFCI is not an option. I respect your 35 years of experience, I feel this is the only solution available to me. Thanks
RV's are for the most part are wired per the National Electric CODE. NEC. Any outlet with 6' of a water source are REQUIRED to be GFI protected. Also any outlet outside at ground level even those inside a compartment.

Gfi's are designed to disconnect much faster the a standard breaker. It is a lifesaving issue. Your son should know better. Do a Google search of "How does a GFI work"?

As stated, you don't repair a GFI you replace it. If the new one does not work than you must look for the short. I can not believe that 8 people did not know any of this. GFI's have been code since the late 80's.

50 years experience as an electrician. 35 of them as a master.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:24 PM   #23

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
RV's are for the most part are wired per the National Electric CODE. NEC. Any outlet with 6' of a water source are REQUIRED to be GFI protected. Also any outlet outside at ground level even those inside a compartment.

Gfi's are designed to disconnect much faster the a standard breaker. It is a lifesaving issue. Your son should know better. Do a Google search of "How does a GFI work"?

As stated, you don't repair a GFI you replace it. If the new one does not work than you must look for the short. I can not believe that 8 people did not know any of this. GFI's have been code since the late 80's.

50 years experience as an electrician. 35 of them as a master.
I appreciate your experience. As far as helping me with my issue.... not so much. I have owned at least 40 houses that were built before gfci were required and never had an issue. Lucky? Maybe. All I am trying to do is find a way to get a gfci installed. Now that I know I can get a breaker with a gfci built into it. That’s what I will try. My son doesn’t work on residential. So he admits it may be something he would never seen. Now, if you have any ideas on how or what I can do to fix this great. If not, I really don’t need another person that is not adding any value.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:28 PM   #24

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
:Look in your power center's manual for the exact circuit breaker you need. If it is a WFCO-9555 then Murray MP or MH, Siemens QP or QT, Square D HOM or Eaton BR are some some that will fit. Lowes or Home Depot has them all on the website My Power center is a PPS 4560, so what I have will be slightly different. Before you buy make sure your power center can accommodate the larger GFCI breaker.

Name:	IMG_2439.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	21194
Beau388 here is a picture of the power center. The breaker marked “kitchen “ is the breaker. Do you think a gfci will work/fit? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:39 PM   #25

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Attachment 21184
the one that’s labeled “kitchen “ is the breaker for the GFCI plugs. We are about to leave so I can’t get a picture from the back. Can you tell from this pic if a gfci breaker will work/fit?
It appears (it the label is to be believed) that the TV and kitchen use the the same circuit breaker. Although that is not allowed under code, Thor doesn't always follow residential electrical code. Shown are some tandem one pole circuit breakers -two circuit breakers in one standard space. Most CAFCI and GFCI required a full space because of the electronics in side.
The cheapest GFCI CB I see is an Eaton BR for $37.90. Your present kitchen is a Siemens QP 15 amp, so the Eaton should be a perfect replacement. You CANNOT use a "plug on neutral" CB in this type of power center (load center) but you MUST use a CB with a white pigtail. Unlike the standard CB, the circuit's hot lead (black) and the common (white) are attached to the GFCI CB's base by separate screws and the pigtail (also white) is attached to the common bus. The ground wire (green) remains attached to the ground bus in the load center.

Unlike the duplex GFCI receptacles, you can tell why the GFCI CB trips: ground fault or overload. CAFCI CBs have the two trip modes also: arc in circuit or overload.

There are now "dual mode" circuit breakers that combine all functions of a GFCI and CAFCI. I have not use any but have two ordered to replace my present GFCIs.

For those of you that are wondering where all the CB go in a power center with only 10 positions, I have a sub panel for the inverter and its three
duplex receptacle circuits as well as the two GFCI circuits in my little coach.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:50 PM   #26

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
It appears (it the label is to be believed) that the TV and kitchen use the the same circuit breaker. Although that is not allowed under code, Thor doesn't always follow residential electrical code. Shown are some tandem one pole circuit breakers -two circuit breakers in one standard space. Most CAFCI and GFCI required a full space because of the electronics in side.
The cheapest GFCI CB I see is an Eaton BR for $37.90. Your present kitchen is a Siemens QP 15 amp, so the Eaton should be a perfect replacement. You CANNOT use a "plug on neutral" CB in this type of power center (load center) but you MUST use a CB with a white pigtail. Unlike the standard CB, the circuit's hot lead (black) and the common (white) are attached to the GFCI CB's base by separate screws and the pigtail (also white) is attached to the common bus. The ground wire (green) remains attached to the ground bus in the load center.

Unlike the duplex GFCI receptacles, you can tell why the GFCI CB trips: ground fault or overload. CAFCI CBs have the two trip modes also: arc in circuit or overload.

There are now "dual mode" circuit breakers that combine all functions of a GFCI and CAFCI. I have not use any but have two ordered to replace my present GFCIs.

For those of you that are wondering where all the CB go in a power center with only 10 positions, I have a sub panel for the inverter and its three
duplex receptacle circuits as well as the two GFCI circuits in my little coach.

Got it. When I get back I will order the breaker. I know the label says “TV” but when you trip it all the tv’s stay on. In fact the only label that is correct is the kitchen.....if you don’t count the tv thing.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #27

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Your original quiestion was batteries going dead, alway check your source first, in this case your batteries, new batteries fail just like old ones, the Interstate Batteries in my coach were only 6 month old when the first one failed and 2 months later the second one failed and this was a new coach, charge your batteries up and find some one with a load tester, you can buy them at Harbor Freight or a better one on line from Amazon, if you have a cell in one of the batteries shorting out it will kill both batteries, usually you can open up the battery compartment and smell the rotten eggs,
Old 11-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #28

State: Washington
THOR #7217
I installed battery disconnects on both the house & chassis batteries .
Old 11-06-2019, 10:56 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I isolated the House batteries... but I didn't mess with the one under the driver's floorboards. (The chassis battery!)

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1573081009
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Second Cutoff Added.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	21302  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #30

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and have a look at a GFI breakers. I think you will find that they do not fit into the very small RV panels that are usually loaded with twin breakers. You will need a complete 1" wide space to install. It is also a much longer breaker. That is why they us GFI outlets in the bathroom. You will also need to find the wire that goes to the bathroom as as the Black and White are hooked to the breaker. A white coiled wire on the breaker will got to the neutral bar. If you have a short this will not fix the problem. You will have to find the short.