Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2018, 12:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
HOV lanes

I traveled in an HOV lane, with my wife, while on the beltway,
using my trailer and was not bothered for possibly being in the wrong lane. Now that I have a Vegas, I was wondering if it’s permissible to drive in the HOV lane. Does anyone know if it is acceptable?

Old 07-13-2018, 05:57 AM   #2

State: California
THOR #6557
Only speaking for California, it is legal. Now I caution you, traffic allowing, 75 - 80 mph is expected.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Georgia is legal BUT...why poke around there at 60MPH when the lane was designed for expediting traffic???? Nothing worse than seeing an RV dragging his butt through the express lane in rush hour traffic with miles of cars backed up behind him. If you're in that big of a hurry...leave yesterday.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
my view is that HOV lanes are simply for two or more passenger vehicles...it has nothing to do with 'speed', 'local traffic only', or anything else. There is no stated limits to 'what' can be in the lane, only that it is for two or more passengers in the same vehicle. If you meet that requirement, then use it. It you are 'slower' than others might like you to be, then they can go around you just like anywhere else. The speed limit is the speed limit, it's no different in the HOV lane.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #5

THOR #10354
California HOV

I have been wondering about this myself because I always use the HOV when driving from San Francisco area to San Diego in a standard auto. I have assumed it is legal to drive in the HOV lane with 2 people in the vehicle as long as you are not towing anything; then, it seems that the 55 MPH towing rule would logically keep you out of the HOV lane because of the typical speed in the lane. I have yet to make the trip in our Vegas 25.2 but am planning to do so soon. I have no problem keeping up with the 65-75 MPH that is typical in those lanes, but it is very scary traveling 0-50 MPH faster than the vehicles in the lanes next to you. Autos do not all pay attention to the solid double white lines that are legally meant to keep other autos from coming into your lane across the double solid lines. VERY stressful.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #6

THOR #4735
hmmmm... I look at it right the opposite - it's safer and less stressful to be 'away' from all the traffic and driving at a careful and consistent speed.
If the 'regular' traffic lanes are backed up or slowed down, it's also doubtful you're going to be driving 60 in the HOV lane anyway.

Also, I'm not sure about any HOV '55' mph rule just because you are 'pulling' something...but maybe that's a stated signage in some jurisdictions....never seen it anywhere we've traveled...and we 'been' a LOT of places!
Old 07-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Just because it's legal: does that also mean that it's the wise thing to do?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
my view is that HOV lanes are simply for two or more passenger vehicles...it has nothing to do with 'speed', 'local traffic only', or anything else. There is no stated limits to 'what' can be in the lane, only that it is for two or more passengers in the same vehicle. If you meet that requirement, then use it. It you are 'slower' than others might like you to be, then they can go around you just like anywhere else. The speed limit is the speed limit, it's no different in the HOV lane.
You better not think or drive like that in California. You'll get run over or shot. lol. Or in a country like Germany. There are VERY stiff fines for driving too slow in the left lanes, as there should be.

There are many signs on many roads in this country that state "Slower traffic keep right" or something to that effect. It's actual law in some places, you can get a ticket for going the speed limit if you're impeding traffic. So if you're going to be in the fast lane, you better be going fast. In California that means 75-80mph in most 65mph zones. CHP officers have been quoted as saying they won't bother with you if you're under 80 in a 65 zone and you're moving with traffic or relatively "safe" at that speed.

And also, if you live in California, going the speed limit in the HOV lane during HOV hours is expected, even if the lanes next to you are stopped. California drivers crash when there's the slightest hint of rain or heaven forbid, snow, but they do know how to drive fast. I live near 101 in the SF Bay Area. They're doing construction on the section of 101 near me, the speed limit is 55 and it's a double fine zone. Traffic normally moves at 75mph, unless it's commute time and it's stopped. Bay Area people don't think twice about going 20mph over the speed limit in a double fine zone. That's mostly because there's little to no enforcement.

Whatever state you live in, please don't drive your RV in the fast lane and expect people to go around you. Even at 5mph over, you're going to be impeding traffic. That's when crashes happen.

Oh and towing in the far left or "fast" lane is illegal in California at any speed.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #9

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Just because it's legal: does that also mean that it's the wise thing to do?
Bob, WTF do you do at your job? I know you're not assembling Thor RV's, you'd be too busy ramming screws into something to spend all day on the internet. haha. Government employee?
Old 07-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #10

THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
hmmmm... I look at it right the opposite - it's safer and less stressful to be 'away' from all the traffic and driving at a careful and consistent speed.
If the 'regular' traffic lanes are backed up or slowed down, it's also doubtful you're going to be driving 60 in the HOV lane anyway.

Also, I'm not sure about any HOV '55' mph rule just because you are 'pulling' something...but maybe that's a stated signage in some jurisdictions....never seen it anywhere we've traveled...and we 'been' a LOT of places!
That's the problem "driving at a careful and consistent speed" is not typical in the Los Angeles area. It's very stop and go either not moving much at all or going between 0 and 15 mph, constantly watching for in and out drivers and drivers attempting 4 lane switch to get off the "freeway". The HOV lane can be almost as erratic but doing 10-30 mph next to the other lanes. I do not know where you are from but maybe it's different where you are or normally travel. I found it easier to drive across the US than to drive in congested areas in California.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #11

THOR #11130
My view is...There are those that live the life of entitlement...regardless. These are the same people that drive in the far left lane at 55MPH...screaming..."I'M GOING THE SPEED LIMIT...IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, GO AROUND!!" Then, there are those that practice common sense and have a general respect for others and understand the science of positive traffic flow. We will pass you, then brake check you, making sure everything in your cabinets are nicely packed forward. Your fridge will sound like a bowling alley and your little Poodle will look like a bug stuck on the windshield from the inside. Don't Be Stupid (if you have the option).

Georgia passed a law recently that states you must move to the right of the far left lane for faster traffic approaching behind...regardless of the posted speed limit and regardless of the speed of travel. It was passed for a reason...read above!!
Old 07-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
Bob, WTF do you do at your job? I know you're not assembling Thor RV's, you'd be too busy ramming screws into something to spend all day on the internet. haha. Government employee?
It's worse than you think: I own my own business!
Old 07-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #13

THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
My view is...There are those that live the life of entitlement...regardless. These are the same people that drive in the far left lane at 55MPH...screaming..."I'M GOING THE SPEED LIMIT...IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, GO AROUND!!" Then, there are those that practice common sense and have a general respect for others and understand the science of positive traffic flow. We will pass you, then brake check you, making sure everything in your cabinets are nicely packed forward. Your fridge will sound like a bowling alley and your little Poodle will look like a bug stuck on the windshield from the inside. Don't Be Stupid (if you have the option).

Georgia passed a law recently that states you must move to the right of the far left lane for faster traffic approaching behind...regardless of the posted speed limit and regardless of the speed of travel. It was passed for a reason...read above!!
I ALWAYS move over for driver's faster than me but I do get irritated when I'm doing 75 (speed limit is generally 70) in the left lane and someone comes up on your rear bumper doing 85-90 leaving you no time to get over; then they proceed to pass you on the right, sometimes using 2-3 lanes to knit their way between all of the traffic. For theses drivers, I do not have much regard. Does anyone else agree with me?
Old 07-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #14

THOR #4735
this discussion was about the Original question of HOV lanes, and the use of them with a motorhome....nothing more. If you have time to criticize others who take a different approach than you about the use of regular lanes, and such, then start another thread and rant away with your friends.
The HOV lane is for two passenger vehicles, plain and simple, end of story.
Ask your local authorities if you have specific questions about your 'area' of interest, but the prevailing HOV lane common rule is for two passenger vehicles, unless other additional restrictions about speed, size, length, or only for those who are driving faster than the posted speed limit are specifically stated.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Some folks take the entire situation to a whole new level!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1531504642
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7428192d1a612f014b05b2c35870b3c1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	11402  
Old 07-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #16

THOR #11130
The OP asked.if it was "acceptable", not legal. Just trying to clear up how acceptable it is in this part of the world. No...it is NOT acceptable. Howz that??? Are we back on track??
Old 07-13-2018, 06:10 PM   #17

THOR #10907

Want more? lol....

https://www.google.com/search?q=slow...ubgHNAhpt7lBM:
Old 07-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #18

THOR #4735
it's funny that you phrase it that way... so, if the authorities don't find it 'acceptable', at least to their standards, why do they consistently pass by, in the regular lane next door, and never hesitate or pause, but just continue on? I think you're assuming a lot and not actually talking from experience. What you 'prefer' people to do is not what is acceptable, it's what the 'law' reasons that it is. Personal experience shows that HOV lanes are for those vehicle with two passengers, plain and simple.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #19

THOR #4735
Exclamation

Want more? lol....

the signage you post are referring to regular lanes, not the single HOV lane. Don't confuse the two, or the issue. Besides, anyone in any of the 'left' lanes can always say that they were 'faster' than someone in one of the right lanes.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The OP asked.if it was "acceptable", not legal. Just trying to clear up how acceptable it is in this part of the world. No...it is NOT acceptable. Howz that??? Are we back on track??
Maybe...
I think that "acceptability" stems from how the vehicle is being driven...
If you're willing to keep up with the flow of traffic: nobody should care what you're driving.