Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2018, 11:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
How can this possibly work?

Started doing some exploring in the new unit. The water pump is under the bed with no way to get to it other than to pull some of the paneling loose. So that’s what I did. The photo shows a line that runs from the fresh water tank to the water pump. The line coming from the bottom of the photo is the line that is coming from the tank. The shut off valve (used when sucking antifreeze into the pump) is just visible. The line that tees to the right is going to the inlet of the pump. The filter is just visible on the right. At the top is the fitting that will be used to connect a hose to run to a gallon of antifreeze to suck into the inlet of the pump. OK? Now, here is the question. There is no plug in the fitting at the top of the tee. How is it possible that the water pump can possibly pull any water out of the tank? I’m going to put a plug in the fitting (like my previous unit had) but I’m really surprised that our pump does pump water. Am I missing something here? Seems like all the pump would suck would be air due to the missing plug. (Just noticed that the photo rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1215.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	12715  

Old 09-10-2018, 12:07 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Yes there should be a white plastic plastic pipe plug in the hole. It is to be removed and an air chuck replaced in the hole to blow out the water lines for weatherization. At least that is the way my coach is plumbed.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:33 AM   #3

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Mine has a white plug in it as well
Old 09-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Yep. I'm going to put a plug in it. But, the real reason for my post is that I am looking for one of the scholars on this forum to explain how the pump can even work. (Yes, it does work) The open line is very close to the inlet and it seems like the only thing the pump would suck is air. I guess if the water level in the tank is above the suction line of the tank the pump would have a flooded suction and would work. But if the water level in the tank is below the suction I just don't see how it would work.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I think my winterizer port has a valve on it just like the water tank and the water tank drain. And I dont remember a cap on it off hand. As long as that valve is off Im not worried about it. I guess your afraid it will suck air out of it? If it hasnt so far im sure your fine.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote