Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
Posts: 17
THOR #7059
How to figure cargo plus passenger capacity in Thor 31W

Since Thor seems to have discontinued the 31L Class C model, we have shifted our attention to the 31W Class C. Does it have the ability to carry a fair amount of cargo, fluids & passengers? How much can it carry, weight-wise, and how do I figure that out? I saw one write-up, forget from where, where it said it was near limit, and that was only with a couple passengers!

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Steveku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Entegra Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 3,524
THOR #1469
My coach has a yellow sticker on the bottom of the screen door which lists the cargo carrying capacity to include passengers.
__________________

__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,254
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveku
How much can it carry, weight-wise, and how do I figure that out?
Use the spec'd weights and try to find the unloaded weight, or someone with one who has weighed it. In any case these will give you an idea but you won't know for sure until you get one and weigh it yourself.

Basically:
  • GVWR - (unloaded weight/scaled weight) = cargo capacity (including tongue weight)
  • GCWR - (unloaded weight/scaled weight) = max trailer+cargo weight

Note that if the weight number you've found includes things like a full fuel tank, full water, two people, etc. then the values above would be the "extra" weight it can handle on top of that.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 1,906
THOR #908
just a generally speaking kind of answer....
but it's safe to say that any of the class C MH's in this general size are not going to give you a lot of room here....

Looking at the floor plan, it's very similar in size to my 31L, with very similar tank capacities.... (slightly smaller)
I am due to re-weigh my unit and I don't have the exact number handy of my old weight, but i can tell you that with my typical camping load (it was probably full gas, full fresh water, full or close LP, empty or nearly empty grey and black)
my rear axle was very close to its limit
my steer axle had some room left

and this would have been with nothing hitched.
The rear axle has very little if any room for the tongue weight of a trailer.
I'm concerned that I might be too close to the edge now on that rear axle, due to extra stuff creeping in over the years... but generally I'm able to bring along the stuff we want

I notice that the 31W has slightly smaller tanks. For what it's worth, we are ok with the blank tank but often find the grey water a limiting factor for my family of 5.
Also, I would look closely at how that full wall slide affects your weights.... might push the tires on that one side to near overload.
That neo-angle shower bath layout is nice though.... I looked at a Winnebago once with a very similar floor plan. It had a nice "feel"
__________________
blw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
Posts: 17
THOR #7059
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
My coach has a yellow sticker on the bottom of the screen door which lists the cargo carrying capacity to include passengers.

Thanks for the tip, we are going soon to look at the 31W, so I'll look for the sticker on the door.
__________________
Steveku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
Posts: 17
THOR #7059
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Use the spec'd weights and try to find the unloaded weight, or someone with one who has weighed it. In any case these will give you an idea but you won't know for sure until you get one and weigh it yourself.

Basically:
  • GVWR - (unloaded weight/scaled weight) = cargo capacity (including tongue weight)
  • GCWR - (unloaded weight/scaled weight) = max trailer+cargo weight

Note that if the weight number you've found includes things like a full fuel tank, full water, two people, etc. then the values above would be the "extra" weight it can handle on top of that.
Thanks jamieGeek, good info to help. I am unable to find the article I mentioned, but will keep looking.
__________________
Steveku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
Posts: 17
THOR #7059
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

I am due to re-weigh my unit and I don't have the exact number handy of my old weight, but i can tell you that with my typical camping load (it was probably full gas, full fresh water, full or close LP, empty or nearly empty grey and black)
my rear axle was very close to its limit
my steer axle had some room left

and this would have been with nothing hitched.
The rear axle has very little if any room for the tongue weight of a trailer.
I'm concerned that I might be too close to the edge now on that rear axle, due to extra stuff creeping in over the years... but generally I'm able to bring along the stuff we want

I notice that the 31W has slightly smaller tanks. For what it's worth, we are ok with the blank tank but often find the grey water a limiting factor for my family of 5.
Also, I would look closely at how that full wall slide affects your weights.... might push the tires on that one side to near overload.
That neo-angle shower bath layout is nice though.... I looked at a Winnebago once with a very similar floor plan. It had a nice "feel"

Thanks blw2, all good information. Pardon the potentially dumb question, but if you tow '4-up' I think is the term, or with all 4 wheels on the ground, is there any 'tongue weight' ? We don't have a vehicle that can be towed this way yet, but are probably needing to purchase another vehicle soon. I know with a trailer or dolly there is definitely tongue weight to consider.
__________________
Steveku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:20 PM   #8
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,797
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveku View Post
Thanks blw2, all good information. Pardon the potentially dumb question, but if you tow '4-up' I think is the term, or with all 4 wheels on the ground, is there any 'tongue weight' ? We don't have a vehicle that can be towed this way yet, but are probably needing to purchase another vehicle soon. I know with a trailer or dolly there is definitely tongue weight to consider.
'4 down' would be towing with all four wheels on ground for the toad...
Adds very little tongue weight - no more than the weight of the towbar.

But you do need to watch the GCWR - combined weight of loaded rig and trailer. An RV near its GVWR may not have much room before hitting its combined limit.
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,536
THOR #6411
With my Master Tow dolly and the Chevy Rampside truck lashed down, the tongue weight is 68 lbs. If I am towing my 1965 Corvair, the tongue weight is 34 lbs. With the Corvair, I have to jump on the front edge of the dolly's pan to level the pan so I can install the travel pin. I measured the tongue weights with a bathroom scale so the can be off a little.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,254
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388
With my Master Tow dolly and the Chevy Rampside truck lashed down, the tongue weight is 68 lbs. If I am towing my 1965 Corvair, the tongue weight is 34 lbs. With the Corvair, I have to jump on the front edge of the dolly's pan to level the pan so I can install the travel pin. I measured the tongue weights with a bathroom scale so the can be off a little.
Only shows that tongue weights are really insignificant when towing (either 4 down or with a dolly).

You only really have to worry about tongue weights if you tow the car on a full trailer but then you're also worrying about GCWR because the trailer adds significant weight as well.
__________________

__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×