Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2017, 10:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34P
State: California
THOR #8132
Hurricane 34P Leveling Jacks

We recently took possession of a new 2017 Hurricane 34P and we took our first road trip this last week! This is our second RV, but we didn't use the first one much so we still consider ourselves "newbies"!

I read somewhere you should lower the jacks (either manually or auto mode) before you extend your slides, which we did. When the auto mode said we were level I extended my slides (both out the left side), it seemed we were tilting a little to the left which I verified with a small level on the floor.
After we returned from the trip, I verified that "auto-level" wasn't really level compared to a level placed on the floor mid-cabin perpendicular to the axles.

Will it hurt anything to manually adjust my jacks once the slides are extended?

Is there a way to reset "level" in the system panel?
I didn't see anything mentioned in the documentation that came with the system.

Thanks for the help!
Dave

Old 07-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Sometimes the auto level zero point is not set that well from the factory, there are YouTube videos that show how to reset the zero point. The zero point is usually set with the slides in, when the slides are out it will cause a slight tilt, this doesn't hurt anything unless it's excessive. Many people prefer a slight tilt to the left, this allows AC condensation to run away from the door and awning, some even set a slight nose high to get condensation to the rear. Always lower the jacks prior to extending the slides, retract the slides before raising the jacks.

Do NOT adjust your jacks with the slide out, you can get the slides out of alignment and cause a real problem. Hope this is helpful to you.

Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the forum!!! Hope you enjoy many happy and safe miles!!!
Old 07-08-2017, 11:10 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 35C
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7920
Good Advice SuperD

Jacks down then extend slides
Retract slides then Jacks up!!!

I've also had issues with the "zero point." Although the "zero point" is set at the RV manufacturer assembly line, owners manual will typically note that the "zero point" may drift and require adjustment. In my case, after checking the level of my coach and manually adjusting to find fore to aft and then side to side level, the "zero point" setting was not available IAW the Lippert Auto-Level manual.

I have had great luck with THOR Technical Service representatives in the past, Try giving them a call!
Old 07-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #4

THOR #8132
Thanks for the suggestions!

I will look into the reset procedure!

Dave
dlathrop22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:37 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 35C
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7920
Thumbs up

Dave - using manual mode to adjust level is not going to hurt anything!

Having a level coach is important for the operation of many other components on your rig (e.g., refrigerator, slides, etc.).
Old 07-11-2017, 10:57 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
I usually have exact same issue I use auto level which gets me close with a slight left and front down then go to manual mode and give front and left a couple pushes then call it good.
And yes jack's down then slides out then slides in and jack's down.

You can get the Lippert (assuming it's what you have) manual on how your jack's work and it will step you through zeroing them again if you want...it also has all the resets for any error codes you get. Actually had a Lippert tech on the phone and he couldn't fix an issue I got the manual followed troubleshooting guide and it worked like a charm
Old 07-12-2017, 04:12 AM   #7

Model: Windsport 34P
State: Florida
THOR #6901
The following is from the LCI Level-Up
Motorhome Leveling (2013-Present) manual (page 8)

Level Zero Point Calibration
Before auto leveling features are available, the Level Zero point MUST be set. This is the point to
which the system will return when an auto leveling cycle is initiated.
To set the zero point (controller module MUST be fully secured in production-intent location),
first run a manual leveling sequence to get the vehicle to the desired level point. Then activate
the Level Zero point configuration mode.
This mode is enabled by performing the following sequence:
1. Turn panel off.

2. Press the Front switch 10 times (On Winnebago units, press FRONT 5 times).

3. Press the Rear switch 10 times (On Winnebago units, press REAR 5 times).

4. At this point, a tone will sound and the display will read ZERO POINT CALIBRATION.

5. Press ENTER to set the zero point.

6. Screen will then display Zero Point Stability Check and PLEASE WAIT.

7. Tone will sound and the screen will display ZERO POINT SUCCESSFUL.

8. Control will then turn off.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:21 AM   #8

Model: Windsport 34P
State: Florida
THOR #6901
This is the manual I was referring to in my previous post.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:04 AM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
When we stop at rest areas for lunch breaks apparently we break all the rules, we extend slides "without leveling" & "partially extend slides" & after 4 years with this coach & 5 with our previous coach no issues with doing it.
Also if it's unlevel after extending slides use manual mode & level to your liking, in my opinion they are not as fragile as some would suggest.
One other point, it's a rv & it may just be that the slide itself wasn't square when it was built or installed.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:07 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
This is the manual I was referring to in my previous post.
Thanks for the manual. Ive been wanting this for a while

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
When we stop at rest areas for lunch breaks apparently we break all the rules, we extend slides "without leveling" & "partially extend slides" & after 4 years with this coach & 5 with our previous coach no issues with doing it.
Also if it's unlevel after extending slides use manual mode & level to your liking, in my opinion they are not as fragile as some would suggest.
One other point, it's a rv & it may just be that the slide itself wasn't square when it was built or installed.
The Lippert rep on the phone even said we could extend slides without leveling as long as it was fairly level...but my take is better safe than sorry. Plus our coach Hurricane 35 C gives a decent amount of room slides in only thing you can't get to is back half bath and washer dryer without crawling over bed.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:19 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #16014
Dave -

I’m in the process of purchasing RV and found a RV like yours that we are looking at this weekend. We really like the layout and options. Do you have any feedback on pro/cons on overall quality of this unit? If you had to do it all over would you still purchase it?

Thanks
Corey
Old 07-17-2019, 02:52 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I like the idea of my coach leaning a little to the drivers side and a little to the rear. That way the condensation from the A/C units always drips in the same spot. When I reset my auto-level I used a three foot level and adjusted till the leading edge of the bubble was just outside the line. I'm level enough for the refrigerator to be happy and my A/C drip is always at the same spot. Another plus for my model is a few added degrees of slope for the funky black tank setup.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:03 AM   #14

THOR #8132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeff View Post
Dave -

I’m in the process of purchasing RV and found a RV like yours that we are looking at this weekend. We really like the layout and options. Do you have any feedback on pro/cons on overall quality of this unit? If you had to do it all over would you still purchase it?

Thanks
Corey
Hey Corey
We bought ours new so there were some cosmetic issues that needed to be dealt with from the factory. Our biggest issues was with Camping World Service - but that is another story for another day.
Overall we like the 34P. Some issues of quality workmanship from the factory but no major mechanical or electrical issues.
We thought the outdoor kitchen would be great, but honestly we haven't used it much - would rather have the storage space. We do use the extra fridge as a beverage fridge tho!
We did have the front end aligned, installed a steering stabilizer and upgraded the front sway bars (rear sways are next) and it made a huge difference in how it drives!
Hope this helps!
Happy Camping!
Dave
dlathrop22 is offline   Reply With Quote