Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34P
State: Tennessee
THOR #3697
Hurricane 35C, GCFI Issue, Outlets Not working

We just bought a 2016 Hurricane 35C. On the 2nd night in the coach we plugged in a small electric heater and several outlets, all three TVs, and the refrigerator lost power. We reset the GCFI that was in the bathroom, and checked all the breakers (none were thrown, but reset them anyway) but the outlets, TVs, and refrigerator still does not work. We called Camping World and they asked us if it had a second GCFI. We had already looked and looked for one and did not see one. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thank you in advance.

John Osborne

Old 02-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Check your inverter. Some, (if not all of the TVs and some outlets), are setup to work with it when not on shore power.

It might need to be reset or just cycled off and on even though you're not actually using it.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
My unit has two GFI one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen area Check under your cabinets they some times place then there
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:41 AM   #4

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
I also have a 2016 35C. We love it. Was worried about the tail, but went up a windy pass in southern Cal. with trucks going by and no strong push. It handles great.

So we had a problem with the A/C / FAN and Heater controls just stopped working. Called Thor and they got me working in 10 minutes, turned out to be a fuse in the fuse box. Not blown, just loose. pushed it in and everything worked.

Try 1877-855-2867 / warrantysupport@tmcrv.com They were really good with me. I also asked about putting a water filter on the ICE maker and they sent me a full water schematic for the coach.

At this point, I am impressed with Thor.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #5

THOR #3697
Hurricane 35C GCFI Outlets Not working

Thanks everyone for the advice! I will have time to check out options this weekend and will let you know what happens... I do have a call in to Thor to see if I can find out if the Hurricane 35C has 2 GCFI. I have looked everywhere (including the kitchen cabinets - took out all of the drawers, etc). I saw where one person said their ice maker was not working. We had the same problem when we first set up but after removing the big drawer under the stove I found the cut off valve to turn the water on to the ice maker. This is our first motor home so we are wanting to learn everything we can.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:40 PM   #6

THOR #3697
Inverter needed to be reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
Check your inverter. Some, (if not all of the TVs and some outlets), are setup to work with it when not on shore power.

It might need to be reset or just cycled off and on even though you're not actually using it.
Thank you Beacher!' You were correct.. The inverter needed to be reset to correct the problem. Happy camper here.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:25 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Florida
THOR #4067
Just picked up my 2016 35c 2 days ago and plan a shake down cruise at MacDill AFB this week. I can only hope that all the problems are minor, if there are any. It seems like a decent coach. A lot bigger than my View. Does anyone have an issue with the dash radio? It only works when the house batteries are turned on. Makes no sense!
Old 04-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #8

State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We picked up our 2016 35C on April 7th and we took it out for a 4 day camping trip (both campground hookups and dry camping) and everything worked great except the fresh water tank. We filled it at the campground but it seemed to be leaking. I think we found a valve below the bed coming out of the fresh water tank that was left in the open position after dewinterization. Can anyone confirm that is where the fresh water drain is located?

We also have a small portable electric heater and I would imagine it would trip the inverter if running off of it, much like if trying to run the microwave or a hair dryer would. In our previous coach we would only fire those up if running on shore power or generator.

The dash radio does seem to be connected to the house batteries and will come on when the house battery switch is enabled. I guess this is intentional so it can be used when camping without using the chassis battery.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #9

THOR #4067
Radio

Seems rather odd that the only way to operate the radio is to have the house batteries turned on. My last coach had a switch for that . Thanks for the reply
Old 04-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnash View Post
Seems rather odd that the only way to operate the radio is to have the house batteries turned on. My last coach had a switch for that . Thanks for the reply
The dash radio is wired to the house batteries. This is a normal wiring pattern. At least for the Class C's it is.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:34 AM   #11

THOR #4067
I will wait until the warranty expires and wire it correctly. All they had to do is install a rocker switch in the blank space on the dash and wire one side to the ignition and the other to the house. Problem solved. On a lighter note has anyone found the fresh water tank drain valve on their 35C
Old 04-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #12

THOR #3761
Quote:
On a lighter note has anyone found the fresh water tank drain valve on their 35C
Why yes, yes I did...
FMCA - F457085
Old 04-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
The dash radio is wired to the house batteries. This is a normal wiring pattern. At least for the Class C's it is.
It is wired the same in my class A and was wired that way in my prior class c (Forest River) as well. The primary reason I was given with the class c is the radio was also the DVD player for the coach and wiring it to the house batteries minimized dead coach batteries after a night or two of camping.

Wiring the radio to the house batteries is not unique to a motorhome type or to a motorhome manufacturer. It is done that way across multiple types and by numerous builders and has been this way for years.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #14

THOR #4067
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
Why yes, yes I did...
Could you tell me where it is. Thanks..
Old 04-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Quote:
I was giving you the low point drain, you want fresh water drain, mine is on the outside right close to the fresh water tank.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
djnash

Have you contacted Thor and asked for the fresh and waste water diagrams for your coach. The fresh water diagram will show you the location of the tank and low point drains and the waste will show you how the tanks are plumbed.

If not, go to this site and enter the info for your coach and request the diagrams. Everything I requested was always emailed within 3 days with some items arriving via email within a couple of hours.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #17

THOR #3761
Quote:
My fresh water drain is under the bed (there is a board that pulls up) exiting through the bottom support board out and above the fuel tank below. There are two pipes exiting from the fresh tank at the rear, the rearmost one is the fresh water tank drain, with the valve directly above the exit pipe which points straight down. The second pipe runs through another valve to the water pump which is also under the bed. I took a bunch of pictures, but can't post them here.

As a note, I did contact Thor and got a series of schematic drawings for the fresh water system, electrical, structural, etc. They were very helpful but not entirely accurate as I have still been unable to find the low point drains. The diagrams also show that there is an orange cable for satellite pre-wire that doesn't exist in my 35C. I plan to just run my own.
FMCA - F457085
Old 04-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #18

THOR #3761
Here are the photos of the fresh water tank under the bed of my 35C. The top picture is the set of valves and pipes (along with vents and wires) under the bed itself, the bottom picture is the extension of the drain pipe above the fuel tank. In the top picture, the drain valve is closest to the bottom (in the closed position) and the valve is above a 90 degree turn straight down.

FMCA - F457085
Old 04-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #19

THOR #4067
Water

Hpoefully tbis attachment goes thru. It is the pluming diagram cor the hurricane 35c. The water tank drain is under the bed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WATER.pdf (169.9 KB, 50 views)

Tags
gcfi issue, hurricane 35c, outlets not working