Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2018, 12:01 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Post Mapping program for Mac

I have been trying to map out a good route for our next extended vacation. I have a Macintosh computer and iPad. I have tried Maps, Rand McNally, Map Quest, Google Earth and a couple others but nothing seems to work well with this system. DW has a dead battery in her PC lap top and it's old as the hills so I don't know if I want to spring for a new battery for an old worn out machine just to do a map now and then.

I will be travelling partly on US 50 across NV and into Utah before picking up I70 into Co. I would like to map it out and locate fuel stops and camp grounds along the way. We will also be doing a lot of 2 lane in WY, MT and Idaho.

A few years ago I did the same thing with MapQuest but it doesn't preform well on this newer Mac.

Any good suggestions on an Apple based mapping program?

Old 06-03-2018, 12:12 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Are you looking for something you can install (with all of its data) so you can do the mapping/driving offline?

Or are you simply trying to research the route while you have internet before you leave? (or both)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:20 AM   #3

THOR #6701
Just trying to research the route for stops, fuel, points of interest. I am also trying the Garmin program but I don't want to download to the GPS. Most of the programs do alright as long as I stay to a direct route of their choice. Changing preferances doesn't seem to help. The old point and drag trick doesn't work and the maps become very unstable on the screen every time I try to make a change. These same programs always did me a fine job on PC but the Mac versions just doesn't do a very good job for me. What ever happened to the DOS system where I only had to change the floppy.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:01 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Have you tried installing Chrome on the Mac and then using google maps, Microsoft maps, or even something like Roadtrippers.com?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:15 AM   #5

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Have you tried installing Chrome on the Mac and then using google maps, Microsoft maps, or even something like Roadtrippers.com?
Yes Jamie, actually Roadtrippers looks the most promising. I just finisher doing an update on the computer and Garmin. I do have Maps, and Google Maps and have Chrome installed. Maybe the upgrades will help. Maybe my brain needs the upgrade, its a pretty old model.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:26 AM   #6

Model: Aria 3901
State: Nevada
THOR #9702
Mapping program for Mac

I think what you want is " RV Trip Wizard" it is the best I have found for planning a trip across country. Will give you everything you need to plan a trip.It is an Application that you can download to your Mac and will show you campsites, gas, disel,places to eat just about everything you need. It will cost you around 65.00 per year but well worth it if you can afford it.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:55 AM   #7

THOR #6701
I'll be checking out trip wizard tomorrow.My updates have made it all run better but so far will need to input data into at least 2 mapping programs, Maps and Roadtripper. Maps to get me in the direction I want to go, then Roadtripper to tell me what I will find when I get there. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:57 PM   #8

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #3182
Good Sam has a pretty good trip planner on their website If you’re a paying Good Sam member.
We’ve used it on several of our trips and it’s always been pretty accurate. It’s obviously geared toward Good Sam parks but, it has others too.

I like that its calculated driving time based on actual RV speeds and takes into account for roads that might not be RV friendly.
Google maps is fine if you fly like the crow and aren’t concerned about how many neighborhood shortcuts you take.