Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
I need help

Hi all.
I had to change tow dollies from a dolly with surge brakes to one with electrical brakes, and this is where my problem starts. I found the brake connector under the dash (why on earth did they hide it that well), and connected the new controller and it works beautiful. But after that i have problems!
I have a flat trailer connector in the back, which means I have the wires for the lights, etc. But I know that I need to run more wires from the connector under the motorhome to he back. I have no idea where to find this connector. I can't follow the current wies, because they are part of a rather large wire loom, and I can't see where they leave that loom. Can Somebody please give me a hint how to handle the wiring for my 7 pin plug?
Thank you all so much!

Old 06-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
Hi all.
I had to change tow dollies from a dolly with surge brakes to one with electrical brakes, and this is where my problem starts. I found the brake connector under the dash (why on earth did they hide it that well), and connected the new controller and it works beautiful. But after that i have problems!
I have a flat trailer connector in the back, which means I have the wires for the lights, etc. But I know that I need to run more wires from the connector under the motorhome to he back. I have no idea where to find this connector. I can't follow the current wies, because they are part of a rather large wire loom, and I can't see where they leave that loom. Can Somebody please give me a hint how to handle the wiring for my 7 pin plug?
Thank you all so much!
No getting out of pulling looms apart and trying to chase it. My ACE has the 4-flat plug and I was considering changing to the 7-round but after trying to chase the wires to find the "connector" I gave up. It is probably in front of the frame extension point.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #3

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
We have an American Tow Dolly they mount the brake controller on the dolly tongue in a plastic box wired to the brake light wire of 4 pin flat plug. Once adjusted I put tape over adjustment wheel it is also run through on/off switch. When pulling dolly empty turn switch off still have lights but no brakes. I really like this setup because I can tow behind any vehicle with 4 pin flat plug don't need brake controller.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #4

THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
We have an American Tow Dolly they mount the brake controller on the dolly tongue in a plastic box wired to the brake light wire of 4 pin flat plug. Once adjusted I put tape over adjustment wheel it is also run through on/off switch. When pulling dolly empty turn switch off still have lights but no brakes. I really like this setup because I can tow behind any vehicle with 4 pin flat plug don't need brake controller.
That sounds really great, but I happen to have a Roadmaster dolly, and it needs a brake controller inside the cab.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #5

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
That sounds really great, but I happen to have a Roadmaster dolly, and it needs a brake controller inside the cab.

Hello,
ck this out,
Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #6

THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
Hello,
ck this out,
Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless
I have my controller installed already, I just need to now where the point is to attach the wiring to the back.

My unit is 31 feet long plus probably 9 feet to the brakes, I't rather do not go wireless.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:03 PM   #7

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
I was trying to show a different way,move your controller to dolly no need to wire the coach use your 4 pin plug, brake controller is activated by brake lights. You end up with same outcome.