Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2019, 12:33 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
My 2018 Palazzo came with a single 100W panel and a PWM-30 (30amp) controller. If you verify what size controller you have and, if possible, what gauge wires they pre-installed then Go Power or other manufacturer could recommend max panel size and/or quantity.
I added a complete Go Power 680 system and Li batteries and then rewired the factory stuff to my Chassis batteries (since flooded batteries have different charge parameters than Li and use a different isolator)

Old 07-22-2020, 01:59 AM   #22

THOR #17324
I have the 2019 model year and they said I have the "GO Power" 10 amp solar controller installed from factory (usually next to the steps). Is that possible to buy a renogy solar 100 watts with out a controller for I have it already and I need somebody to help me how to hook it up. tanks
Old 07-22-2020, 03:14 AM   #23

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by CELESDIGNOS View Post
I have the 2019 model year and they said I have the "GO Power" 10 amp solar controller installed from factory (usually next to the steps). Is that possible to buy a renogy solar 100 watts with out a controller for I have it already and I need somebody to help me how to hook it up. tanks
Its very simple
>You need the panels (either sold or flexible)
>You need the mounts (screwed into roof for solid, Eternabond tape for flexible)
>You need MC4 connectors (to connect the wire on the panels to the wire that Thor pre-wired). If you add two panels to the roof, then you need MC4 splitters as well to bring the 4 wires from two panels into 2 wires to connect to the Thor pre-wire
>Im not sure if you need wire from the controller to the House Batteries, or if Thor pre-wires that also

You can Google most of it for info, purchase needed items on Amazon, and also search the Thor Forum for more info

Let us know how it goes for you
Old 07-22-2020, 03:20 AM   #24

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Personally I would upgrade to a 40amp mppt solar controller and 300 - 400 watts of solar on the roof. That way it helps to off set cloudy days or partial shade to fill my two 6v 220 amp batteries up.

This is on the top of my 2019 spring wish list.
Did you ever add your solar?
Just wondering what it looks like (ie. controller, panels, wiring, etc)
Old 07-22-2020, 11:43 PM   #25

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Nope, Life got in the way (then Covid ) and we didnt use the RV very much this year at all.

I still have solar in my plans. I like to add 200 watts this fall before my trip Upper MI.

I did install a 12 volt sub panel behind my TV over steps....so I could add a 12 v fan cockpit and a map light for the navigator + room for 4 more 12 volt items.

I will try and post this sometime.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:38 AM   #26

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojet View Post
Hello, We purchased a 2018 Thor Windsport 34J back in April. Have put 9000 miles on it. Love it! We are prewired on our roof for solar panels. Has anyone installed panels....recommendations , installation instructions. min wattage. and where are the wires. I'm and aircraft mechanic so really a nobrainer but looking for some tips. And where to purchase panels. Thank you and Happy holidays.
super easy to add if it is prewired and has controller!

I put 2 100 watt panels on roof

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you should have connectors on roof.

I bought cables, mounts on amazon.

Reason I bought Polycrystalline, they cheap and will probably outlast me!

keeps all my batteries charged and my frig running all the time!

going big this winter and covering entire roof in panels!

Attached Images

Old 10-25-2020, 03:23 AM   #27

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #18738
Solar install

Macdaddy1111 your Amazon links don't work, could you give us the name of the solar panels and hardware you used, thanks
Old 10-28-2020, 08:56 PM   #28

Model: Residency
State: Alabama
THOR #21054
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojet View Post
Hello, We purchased a 2018 Thor Windsport 34J back in April. Have put 9000 miles on it. Love it! We are prewired on our roof for solar panels. Has anyone installed panels....recommendations , installation instructions. min wattage. and where are the wires. I'm and aircraft mechanic so really a nobrainer but looking for some tips. And where to purchase panels. Thank you and Happy holidays.
Solar powered convoy happening?

I am renovating a 1995 Thor Residency but removing the propane/lp/"gas" oriented capabilities.

I am having 4× 400 watt solar panels by "Trina" ($210.00/ each: "santansolar" is "the seller" by the by); hooked up to 4× Giandel ($840.00/ each!) (Power Inverters 5000W/10000W 12V to 110 V-120 V 4.5M), and 12× Power-Sonic PS12550U 12V 55Ah Batteries ($150.00/ each!) since I want to be "off the grid" and not connected to various rv parks "version" of 50a for extended periods of time. I am new here (first "hello" is posted today!) but is solar powering an RV or its major systems a relatively new (last 25 to 30 years) trend?

It seemed like a logical thing to me but I am a US Army veteran and 100% disabled so I see things differently than the citizenry overall...

I found everything on Ebay.com by the by...

And I don't get anything for telling the [group] any of this stuff. I have been helping and protecting civilians since 1979 specifically...

Just the satisfaction of knowing that I can still contribute...
Old 01-14-2021, 12:51 PM   #29

State: North Carolina
THOR #21776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
If you have the 2019 model year you should have the "GO Power" 10 amp solar controller installed from factory (usually next to the steps). So you can add one or two - 100 watt solar panels (but that is the max).

If you have a 2018 model I would get a 40 amp solar controller (or larger - depending on your needs) that way you can start out with one or two solar panels but add more later.

But keep in mind if your going to put like 400 watts + you will need more than two house batteries.
Good info, mine is a 2018, 24fe, do you know if the orange black wire is negative or positive?
Old 08-13-2023, 07:49 PM   #30

State: Utah
THOR #30513
Thor 2018 windsport 34J

I have a Thor 2018 windsport 34J .. There is no solar pre-wires I can find... the roof has no inlet, and no wires in the vents. Thor says it's solar-ready, but I guess they figure you are 'solar-ready' if you have a battery.

My next task will be getting the wires from the roof to the battery bay. I have a controller, 4 batteries and 16 panels, and a bunch of cables.

I cannot find any diagrams for the roof, so I know how to attach the panels. If I can't find any good info I'm gonna just use metal screws and dicor and hope for the best
Old 08-13-2023, 08:00 PM   #31
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
"Solar Ready" means wires are run from a location behind a plate on the roof to the battery bay. There won't be loose wires on the roof.
There are many threads on this Forum with discussion about mounting the solar panels including calling Thor for a construction diagram of the roof so you know where the support beams are.

Good luck with your installation.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 07:37 PM   #32

State: Utah
THOR #30513
Success!

So, I emailed Thor and they told me my model was the only one of 13 that did not have the solar-ready install. I drilled a hole into the cupboard( to the top left of the bed) up into the roof and passed the wires down and into the area below the bed. I have 16 100-watt panels on the roof.

I installed 6 batteries, 2 solar controllers, an inverter(Victron Multiplus ii), and bus bars into that area.

So far so good, we have had severe rain and no leaks.

I did use self-tapping screws and lots of dicor on the solar panel mounting brackets.

it's now beyond solar-ready .
Old 09-05-2023, 08:01 PM   #33

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Curious why you went with 100 watt panels instead of 200 watts? And how you fit 16 solar panels on your roof??
Old 09-05-2023, 08:06 PM   #34

THOR #13362
I agree with Chateau Nomad.
Not only would I use 200 watt panels,
I’d also use flex panels so I could use Eternabond tape and no holes

But to each his own…
Old 09-06-2023, 12:25 AM   #35
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Curious why you went with 100 watt panels instead of 200 watts? And how you fit 16 solar panels on your roof??
No kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I agree with Chateau Nomad.
Not only would I use 200 watt panels,
I’d also use flex panels so I could use Eternabond tape and no holes

But to each his own…
No! Too many reports of the thin foil leads cracking/breaking and the panels catching fire.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote