Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
I believe the remote switch he installed was to power the inverter on/off and not an automatic transfer switch taking different power sources.
No, it has the the auto transfer switch. The only way to go IMO.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #22

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
That was my point. If it's automatic, then why would you need to turn it off?
Just in case. LOL.

Good to have a switch so you if dont need it for the TV or to charge / run something and your just sitting around in a parking lot (or driving down the road) your NOT drawing any 12 v current.

Plus it has the indicator lights on it so you know what is going on. Off is blank, Green is "on" or DC, Yellow is like standby because your on 120 "AC" and RED if you have a problem with the inverter "Fault" code.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 11-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #23

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
In installed the Aims 1200 watt inverter last summer in mine. I love it.
Best bang for the buck IMO. Works seamlessly with the factory setup (the way I have mine setup).

Model# PWRIX120012S 1200 Watt Pure Sine Inverter, Built In Transfer Switch.

It was only $169 on Amazon. I also purchased a remote switch for $25 and installed it all myself.

Do a search on this site this one and other inverter writeups.
See first page post:

No, it has a build in transfer switch and its Pure Sine. Cant beat the price. I know there are better inverters on the market but all I wanted is something to run one TV and DVD player and also be able to charge a lap top and a cell phone at the same time. This does all of that and more.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #24

State: Illinois
THOR #13262
I saw it had a 20 amp transfer switch what happens when shore power is at 30 amps?
Old 11-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #25

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the internal 20amp rated transfer relay/switch is only for the flow of amps THRU the inverter, which can only output about that amount - where and how you are 'plugged in' will make no difference, since the flow of amps will already be going thru a 20amp breaker in your panel box, or sub-panel.

Mine has a 30amp limit, and the breaker that feeds the Inverter sub-panel breakers is also 30amp... so they are both 'protecting' each other.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #26

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
and, with a 20amp internal breaker, it basically means that's the amps you'll be limited to on the output, whenever you are off-grid and using the Inverter. If you have a sub-panel with two circuits, each 15amp, you'll be fine, as usually neither is using all of the 15amps at one time anyway, and it gives you the ability to split the outlets within two circuits.
(the same happens in your Main Panel, as the sum of all of the breaker AMPS total more than your 30amps that you normally plug into, or for larger coaches the 100amps they normally have access to.)

Since most breakers are of the minimum 15amp, it makes sense that our total of breakers will probably not ever equal exactly the maximum amps.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #27

THOR #12231
Exactly. 20 amp has been more than enough for me. I can Run TWO TV's, plug in TWO iphones and my lap top. Never had a problem.

I dont plan on running any hair dryers (dont tell my wife) or blenders when NOT on shore power. But they might work (one at a time).... I never tried them.

Keep in mind my inverter is CHEAP and is only 1200 watt (But I wouldnt expect more than 1000 from it).

Works great for me. Glad I found it - almost went with a 600 watt for just one or two outlet in the front of coach. So this is a big step up for me.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #28

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: California
THOR #3430
Inverters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabobo View Post
Hi I have a chateau 24 and wondering a decent inverter to get also should I also look at an inverter/charger ? TIA
I agree with Dabobo, you need to be sure you have a sine wave output. Many microwaves can't handle modified square wave outputs.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #29

Model: Chateau 28Z
THOR #3430
Inverters

I agree with Dabobo. You need a sine wave output to insure your microwave will work properly. There are probably a lot of other electronic things that need a sine wave.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:27 AM   #30

Model: 2016 class c 31w
THOR #9093
propane frig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yes but it give you the option of shutting it off totally. Plus it show GREEN light when on inverter and YELLOW when on shore power. But its switches so fast the TV does not even flicker when watching them.

Plus by having this swich I can run the Frig on 120 (Genney or shore) 12v battery or Gas. So now I have a 3 way frig if I want.
you say you have residential frig that you run on propane
Old 11-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmills1334 View Post
Axis/Vegas units don't have a residential fridge. (Long & Winding road has an Axis.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #32

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmills1334 View Post
No, I have the 6 cu foot GAS/ELEC frig from factory. But since my inverter controls the frig outlet as well I could run off of 12 v as well. I don't since I rather run on gas and save my battery for the TV or lap top.

But its nice to have options (like if you run out of propane or you need your gas off for some other reason (Propane leak, tunnel, fueling up RV etc) and you dont want to crack up the genny for just 15 or 30 minutes to run the frig on.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #33

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
Having purchased one of these AIMS 1200 Watt inverters for our Vegas. Was wondering what is the best place to mount and how to wire so that we get the most efficiency of the unit?

Will probably only run what is necessary to function when boondocking probably TV, charging for laptops, cell phones, etc. as needed.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #34

THOR #12231
Well on my model the fuse box is under the bed and I had plenty of room to put it in the same area. I screwed a 12x24 (or so) 1/2 plywood to the wall and mounted it to that.

Where is your fuse box located at?

Did you see the youtube that Two Trail Hikers posted about this exact inverter? If not search for it - It helped me greatly. He goes over the wiring in another video as well.

The factory fuse box already had 12v going to it and a 12v ground terminal is located next to the box. So hooking up a 4 gauge 12v wires is easy and short.

Shoot me a PM (private message) or email me if you have any question.

Its not hard to intall but it did consume more time than I thought it would. Im very happy with the end results.