Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Inverter on or off-confused now!

so we have been either plugged in or running generator---occasionally we will go out to do something inside the RV and just flip on the use switch and the Inverter switch so that the TV can be on in the background. also getting ready for a trip and know to have inverter on while going up the road for refrigerator. switch is off mostly......
so after reading numerous articles and seeing different opinions, what IS the right way? Was told that when you hook to shore power to make sure it is off-??----going to read again the manual but wanted experience to reign!!!!!opco rn:

Old 10-19-2016, 05:04 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
My practice has been to keep the inverter off when the coach in plugged into shore power or generator power. Normally when I run the generator it is for a short time so leaving the inverter on when on generator power not a big deal. The key is remembering when to turn the inverter on or off so I created a check in and check out (of campground) check list.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:11 AM   #3

Model: Tuscany 40RX
THOR #1567
I'll be honest... Since buying this coach new in 2014, I've used the inverter once; just to test that it was functional before we signed on the dotted line. We are only on the road for six or seven hours daily and our residential refrigerator maintains its temperature without running. Nothing to be gained, for us, by running the inverter at any time.

2014 Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Not sure whats right or wrong but we leave ours turned on all the time, even when plugged into shore power that way if power is ever lost the fridge will keep on working. To much meat and other things in there to lose. Or come back to MH to find out everything thawed out and then refroze
Old 10-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
I'll be honest... Since buying this coach new in 2014, I've used the inverter once; just to test that it was functional before we signed on the dotted line. We are only on the road for six or seven hours daily and our residential refrigerator maintains its temperature without running. Nothing to be gained, for us, by running the inverter at any time.
What is there to lose by running inverter while on the road?

While driving the engine alternator on most motorhomes should supply enough electrical current to power the inverter/refrigerator without even discharging the batteries.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #6

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang94@hot.rr.com View Post
Not sure whats right or wrong but we leave ours turned on all the time, even when plugged into shore power that way if power is ever lost the fridge will keep on working. To much meat and other things in there to lose. Or come back to MH to find out everything thawed out and then refroze

Mustang-- interesting.....so it does not hurt the inverter or the batteries to leave the switch on and just forget about it?? If you are on shore power or generator, it will 'override" it??? That sounds good to leave it on if no harm or no issues........that is our confusion!!
Old 10-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #4486
It is quite possible that by only powering up the inverter when needed could extend the life of the inverter.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
we've left ours own since we purchased it over 2 years ago and 54,000 miles, don't know why you'd necessarily need to ever turn it off, it is your backup power when the shore power is lost or the generator is not running.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowRun View Post
Mustang-- interesting.....so it does not hurt the inverter or the batteries to leave the switch on and just forget about it?? If you are on shore power or generator, it will 'override" it??? That sounds good to leave it on if no harm or no issues........that is our confusion!!
You probably have an inverter transfer switch which bypasses shore or generator power around inverter, so the inverter would fall back to idling under no load even if left on.

I'd get an electrical schematic (if you don't have one already) to confirm details. It's good to know specifics of what you are working with.

Assuming you have a built-in inverter transfer switch, I'd call the inverter manufacturer and ask them about life expectancy if left on. They should know best.

Inverters do use significant power even when under no load, so unless you were using it, it wouldn't make sense to leave it on unless you had shore or generator power. When you have shore or generator power it wouldn't matter as much leaving the inverter running under no load because the few watts of power it uses from your batteries would be made up by the converter.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #10

THOR #4735
you may also have the 'Search Watts' feature that allows the inverter to stay 'on', but not be 'powered' on until something needs it.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:15 AM   #11

THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowRun View Post
Not sure if it is right or wrong or maybe long term damage. But we have had our MH now for about 9 months and leave it on all the time.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:20 AM   #12

THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
It is quite possible that by only powering up the inverter when needed could extend the life of the inverter.
Maybe....
My last F250 had a inverter and never went off for years, lap top and cell phone were just about the only things plug into it tho.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:16 AM   #13

Model: Tuscany 40RX
THOR #1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
What is there to lose by running inverter while on the road?

While driving the engine alternator on most motorhomes should supply enough electrical current to power the inverter/refrigerator without even discharging the batteries.
What I was inferring was that if not needed, why turn it on? Our refrigerator stays cold without it being powered, just the wife and I and everything that we need while going down the road is powered at the dash... In the event we need ac power, we need a bunch, and it is much more economical to fire up our 8 KW genny that can power the whole bus, most specifically both A/C units, not just a few appliances. We either don't have anything that calls for the inverter, or, we need a lot more than what the inverter is capable of supplying, ergo we don't use the inverter.

Of course, we turn off lights when not needed, use the A/C sparingly, fix drips to conserve water, etc. Somewhere down the line that power has to be replaced and nothing is free. Am I a tree hugger? Nope, I cut down plenty on my property, but, I don't believe in wasting or squandering resources just because I can.. I don't need it, I don't run it. If I ever need it, I'll fire it up.

2014 Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:09 PM   #14

Model: Tuscany XTE 40BX
State: Nebraska
THOR #2303
Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
Question.. Im a newbie with a 2016 Tuscany XTE and how do you shut off the inverter?

thanks
Old 10-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #15

THOR #4735
if you have the MAGNUM readout panel, usually over the door, or near it in an upper cabinet, then you can press the CHARGER button for a second to cut it on/off, and the INVERTER button the same.