Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #6107
Kitchen Drawer Issues

Our upper kitchen drawer always worked just fine until our last camping trip. The drawer would not close at all.
I can't figure out why. By the way, thank you everyone for all your excellent suggestions. I took out the drawer and used a flashlight to look inside and check all the hardware over. I just could not find anything wrong with the hardware.

This is a comparison to which you may relate. Everyday you put your car in your garage. Then one day you cannot enter your garage because the top of the car is hitting the wooden frame at the top of the garage door. Like your car grew too big!!

I am attaching a photo for your review.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this type of problem???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Drawer Issues.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	21277  

Old 11-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My guess from unwanted experience, tells me you have the rails mounted wrong.
The rail goes entirely inside the other rail. You seem to, from what I've done in the past, have them stacked. Pull it all the way out and make sure there's an internal and external rail, not an overlap.

Look Closely at the rails on a drawer that is working.

Or

Your drawer is titling slightly to the rear due to something having moved in the back of the drawer Mounts.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 35SK Super C
State: Missouri
THOR #711
It may be the latch which has a spring loaded arm. Several times, on different drawers in my unit, the arm mysteriously sprung to the closed position not allowing the drawer to close at all. I put a small screw driver behind the arm and pried it to the open position and all was good. I hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Had the same issue this summer with newly purchased trailer. Small mounting screws holding the glides to the cab must be install flush so the drawer slide can go past.. See if you can tighten them up. Drawer slide hitting screw head.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:58 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I've had two very common occorances that resulted in similar issues.
1) the hold-close latch issue, as rskrbina described
2) the drawer slides have fallen loose, misaligned, etc. I think every drawer in my rig at one time or another has become misaligned or worse yet the brackets broke....because Thor thought one screw would work where two would just barely do.
I also recently had a set of slides mysteriously start spitting out ball bearings for no obvious reason...
Old 11-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #6

THOR #6107
The drawer worked fine before. I have wood hitting on wood right now. Something has made the drawer taller than it should be.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #7

THOR #6107
I have wood hitting on wood so the drawer is too tall. It worked just fine for two years and then all of a sudden stopped closing properly.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:14 PM   #8

THOR #6107
I didn't mount the rails myself. The rails as is worked perfectly for 2 years. I didn't take any drawer out or anything. One day the drawer just out grew the opening.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:15 PM   #9

THOR #6107
All screws are tight.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:34 PM   #10

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I've had two very common occorances that resulted in similar issues.
1) the hold-close latch issue, as rskrbina described
2) the drawer slides have fallen loose, misaligned, etc. I think every drawer in my rig at one time or another has become misaligned or worse yet the brackets broke....because Thor thought one screw would work where two would just barely do.
I also recently had a set of slides mysteriously start spitting out ball bearings for no obvious reason...
Replace the slides. Amazon is your friend. Manufacturer name is stamped on the slides. You will have to remove one to see it. . I just replaced 4 sets on my 2011 this summer
Old 11-06-2019, 12:55 AM   #11

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
If the tracks haven't moved, got to be the latch.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:23 AM   #12

THOR #908
it could be the frame of the cabinet has come loose....and deformed.
The boxes couldn't be made any more shotty..... I had one or two sticks of the frames come loose too.

I feel that if you look around you'll find something loose or misaligned. I'd pull the drawer completely out and look around carefully.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:41 AM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyStapler View Post
I didn't mount the rails myself. The rails as is worked perfectly for 2 years. I didn't take any drawer out or anything. One day the drawer just out grew the opening.
The rails worked perfectly for 2 years ----- That's 2 years of bouncing down the road, the drawer being opened and closed, parts wearing out due to age etc...

That magnitude 4 earthquake rolling down the road has more than likely caused the rails to drop enough to cause your problem. Also check to see if the drawer front is adjustable and didn't work loose. And one other thing, if you had all the drawers out at the same time make sure they got put back into their correct positions. Trying to put the wrong drawer in the wrong position may cause the glides to be misaligned.

Been there and done that numerous times over the last 15 or so years.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:55 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Have you looked at the back of the Drawer face plate to see if the plastic piece the goes into the latch on the cabinet frame when the drawer is closed is bent??? Our bottom drawer did that and I noticed that the plastic bayonet piece if you will was bent and would not allow the drawer to close all the way.... Tried to straighten it but it broke off.... The drawer closes now but does not latch but it has not slid out while going down the road......
Old 11-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #15

THOR #15553
remove the drawer and check the slides on both the cab and the drawer. Wood does not grow unless it is partical board and got wet.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #16

THOR #908
ahh yes, reminds me of an indecent in our house. DW let the laundry tub sink overflow once a couple years ago and flooded the area. The cabinets, which are plywood and solid maple expanded and the drawers dragged and stuck. After drying out they returned to normal (more or less)...
Old 11-10-2019, 12:44 AM   #17

THOR #6107
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskrbina View Post
It may be the latch which has a spring loaded arm. Several times, on different drawers in my unit, the arm mysteriously sprung to the closed position not allowing the drawer to close at all. I put a small screw driver behind the arm and pried it to the open position and all was good. I hope this helps.
Thank you so much. It was the latch. I did as you said and now the drawer is working perfectly.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:47 AM   #18

THOR #6107
Quote:
Our upper kitchen drawer always worked just fine until our last camping trip. The drawer would not close at all.
I can't figure out why. By the way, thank you everyone for all your excellent suggestions. I took out the drawer and used a flashlight to look inside and check all the hardware over. I just could not find anything wrong with the hardware.

This is a comparison to which you may relate. Everyday you put your car in your garage. Then one day you cannot enter your garage because the top of the car is hitting the wooden frame at the top of the garage door. Like your car grew too big!!

Thanks a million to everyone that responded. I do appreciate all your help. It turned out that the door latch mechanism wasn't working properly. Using a knife I was able to get the spring to face out. After I did that, the drawer closed perfectly and stays shut again.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #19

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:

We had a 2017 ace and had drawer troubles on every trip....the latches that kept them from sliding out during travel, plastic....broke. Thor even sent up some extras but they broke too. GOt a 2016 Hurricane and no problems yet. Bad design like on the ace....the outside LP attachment for a gas grill was put on the opposite side from where the awning was...in other words, over by the driver's side where you don't "live" while camping. The gas tank was on the passenger side though...get that....gas tank on the right side and you run a hose all the way over to the other. Hurricane....extension connection for grill is right under the LP tank....on the passenger's side...where it belongs. Bad designs.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:54 PM   #20

Model: 29 M Hurricane
THOR #14300
Drawer latches

Had an issue with a few of mine this summer, inside of latch would stay in the closed position. Opened it up with a screw diver and the lubed with dry silicone spray. Did all of them as a precaution and they are all working smoothly. Actually quiets them down you don’t get that loud click when they close.
RecPro Recliners
Pilobob is offline   Reply With Quote