Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
2016 Ford V-10 and 6 spd transmission

Has anyone purchased a motorhome with one of the 2016 Ford V-10's with the 6 speed transmission. I have read reviews that estimate 10% better gas mileage and less shifting on hills. Does anyone have any experiences?

Old 12-26-2015, 02:02 AM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Do you recall which reviews estimated 10% better fuel economy?
Old 12-26-2015, 02:28 AM   #3

THOR #1765
The Top 7 Features of Ford’s All-New 6R140 Six-Speed Heavy-Duty Transmission - PickupTrucks.com News This is one article on the Ford 6 spd transmission which has been around in their super duty since 2009. I can't find the article that estimated a one mpg better gas mileage. But if I run across it I will post it.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:30 AM   #4

THOR #1765
2016 Ford chassis with new 6 speed transmission. - iRV2 Forums This is another discussion on the irv forum.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:11 AM   #5

THOR #1765
Ford new 6 speed story - anyone heard this? - iRV2 Forums. Here are some good discussions on the 6 spd.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Ford new 6 speed story - anyone heard this? - iRV2 Forums. Here are some good discussions on the 6 spd.
I didn't read through unrelated opinions, but the original post suggesting that there was vibration due to the new transmission being slightly longer, and that changing the driveshaft angle so much that it would cause vibration above 40 MPH seems highly unlikely to me.

These chassis come with different driveshaft lengths, and while they are in sections, there is little chance that a couple of inches of extra transmission length would be that significant over wheelbase differences close to 70 inches.

Anything is possible, but I trust Ford engineers can handle a driveshaft angle. The problem with these types of stories/claims on the Internet is that there is no way to know who started them, or if they had an ulterior motive.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:10 AM   #7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36 TL
State: Virginia
THOR #3852
I recently purchased a 2016 Challenger 36 TL and wanted to comment on the new 6 sp transmission...excellent! I traded my 2015 ACE that had the 5 sp and it's a big improvement! The 5 sp was a lot louder because it revved much higher up to each shift point even under moderate acceleration. The new unit is really quiet by comparison and downshifts more predictably to assist with downhill grades. I wasn't aware of the 6 sp change for 2016 but noticed the improvement right away when I drove it home. It wasn't until I read the forum comments, and confirmed the PRND421 on my dash, did I know the reason.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:49 AM   #8

THOR #1765
Interesting post. So your experience with the engine braking provided by the 6 Spd downshifting going down hills was positive? You apparently did not see much difference between the engine braking provided in your much lighter ACE with the 5 Spd and the Challenger 36 TL with the new 6 Spd? Makes me want to go out and try mine.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:48 AM   #9

THOR #3852
I hadn't driven the ACE since December but can't recall it to be so willing to downshift as this unit on downhill runs. It could well have something to do with the added heft of the Challenger. The real improvement for me is getting down the road from a stop without all the noise from the doghouse...even though it's having to get all that extra weight moving. The acceleration is impressive. We have the Jeep in the shop getting rigged for towing...I hope it pulls it OK.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #10

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHoraist View Post
I hadn't driven the ACE since December but can't recall it to be so willing to downshift as this unit on downhill runs. It could well have something to do with the added heft of the Challenger. The real improvement for me is getting down the road from a stop without all the noise from the doghouse...even though it's having to get all that extra weight moving. The acceleration is impressive. We have the Jeep in the shop getting rigged for towing...I hope it pulls it OK.
I'll be watching this because I will be flat towing my 2010 jeep wrangler 4 door with the new challenger I ordered. I was assured from the deer and also Thor (I keep in contact with the guys there once a week to check progress (anal, I know) but he said flat towing a jeep nothing really for it. I am moving up from a 319DS Coachmen Class C and I can say with that transmission and the Ford V10, I would forget it was back there unless I went over speed bumps.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:10 PM   #11
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Interesting post. So your experience with the engine braking provided by the 6 Spd downshifting going down hills was positive? You apparently did not see much difference between the engine braking provided in your much lighter ACE with the 5 Spd and the Challenger 36 TL with the new 6 Spd? Makes me want to go out and try mine.
We have not been to Colorado or Utah in our new 2016 Axis ..
I told Ron about this thread .. he has spent several hours under our Axis..
he sez the transmission has 4-5 joints .. he does not anticipate any problems with it in comparison to the 5 speed on our previous 2, e350 chassis. He certainly put those Class b & b+ motorhomes through the paces in the Colorado & Utah mountains. He does not expect anything less from this transmission.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #12

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
I took my coach out this past Sunday to the end of Long Island NY. There were some down hills and it definitely downshifted. I was letting the coach go on its momentum and bang...the coach gave us a little jolt by downshifting. Engine did get a little loud.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:40 PM   #13

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
I took my coach out this past Sunday to the end of Long Island NY. There were some down hills and it definitely downshifted. I was letting the coach go on its momentum and bang...the coach gave us a little jolt by downshifting. Engine did get a little loud.
That's good. You must have gone down a sand dune. I don't remember very many "hills" in Long Island.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:06 AM   #14

THOR #3852
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCampingNut View Post
I'll be watching this because I will be flat towing my 2010 jeep wrangler 4 door with the new challenger I ordered. I was assured from the deer and also Thor (I keep in contact with the guys there once a week to check progress (anal, I know) but he said flat towing a jeep nothing really for it. I am moving up from a 319DS Coachmen Class C and I can say with that transmission and the Ford V10, I would forget it was back there unless I went over speed bumps.
I'm happy to report the Challenger pulled the Cherokee around just fine. I went up several inclines and back down and the tow/haul mode worked like a champ. I can't say that it felt no different pulling the extra 4K but the V10 w/6s spd is definately up to the task. On Monday we're leaving on a month long trip from Virginia to SC and FL. I'll have more to report after pulling the toad all those miles including some MPG info.
BHoraist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #15

THOR #3852
So far we've pulled the toad about 400 miles. I checked the mileage after about 300 miles and with the coach loaded to the gills and the toad topped off with fuel I got 7.6 miles per gallon. I'm impressed because in my 2015 ACE the best I ever recorded was 8.5 without a toad. I think the 6 speed is definitely better on gas.
BHoraist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:35 PM   #16

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Really like the V10 with 6 speed trans. I tow a Jeep and it does fine going thru the passes around Southern California. Only problem is in Tow Mode and Cruise Control on - it will do anything to keep the speed down. Too high a rev for me so I now disengage the Tow mode going downhill.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #17

THOR #1765
You'll do that until you "run out of brakes" when they overheat. I turn mine off when the rpms get too high, slow the vehicle down with the brakes and then turn the tow back on. That way you can use the engine and keep your brakes from overheating without "red lining". Glad you like the 6 Spd. This is my third Ford V-10 (first 6 Spd) and I have really like the engine thru 60,000 miles +.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:08 PM   #18

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2287
6 speed transmission v10

I have a 2016 ACE 27.1 with that transmission. I am becoming more familiar with shifting and find the transmission holds gears a lot longer than I like. It has the tow/haul switch and that's helpful on a steep grade. But sometimes I have to press the button to get it to shift out of lower gear. I only have 6,000 miles and just returned from Texas. So I will be traveling more and experimenting with shifting.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:31 AM   #19

THOR #1765
Try letting off of the gas a little when you want it to upshift.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:54 AM   #20

State: Minnesota
THOR #3817
I just took my new 24.1 on a trip to Texas from MN and averaged around 7.5mpg. I was not towing but did have some pretty side winds on 3 of the 6 days we were on the road. Does anyone have any ideas how to improve the mileage on these?