Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2018, 12:46 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau Super C 35SF
State: Kansas
THOR #11472
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
p.s... the idea that someone is going to 'steal' your site while you are gone is so rare, if ever an issue, it's actually a little ridiculous. Yes, anything 'can' happen to anyone anywhere anytime, but if you've paid for your site, you have nothing to be concerned about. There are few, if any, parks that just let folks roam around finding vacant sites to park in. Leave something as a clear sign if you are really worried.

I think the only place I saw it happen was in the Resurrection Bay campground in Seward AK! But there was so much jockeying for a better site in a campground that had no reservation system, it was easy to see how sites could get taken.

We had to pull our Class C out to visit the town's dump station. Fortunately, we had a toad, which remained on our site.

Kim

Old 09-23-2018, 01:10 AM   #22

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
No one mentioned it, but I have heard of people who returned from trips to town and found their site occupied by another camper??? Don't know how common this is or how it was resolved.
Thats easy, if you rented it, it's yours. When we check in we make sure to mention that we may be in and out to the office and have not had an issue.

We have travelled 12,000 miles in the last two years and never wished we had a toad. If, in the rare occasion we just have to have a car I will rent one for the day.
but hasn't happened yet.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #23

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
No one mentioned it, but I have heard of people who returned from trips to town and found their site occupied by another camper??? Don't know how common this is or how it was resolved.
That happened to us twenty plus years ago out on Grand Isle, VT. We left the site for part of a day and we didn't know enough to leave something at the site. When we returned, our space was occupied. The campground owners put us in a field and gave us enough extension cords to reach a power pedestal. We were new to camping and didn't realize that the voltage drop was too much. We ruined a toaster oven the next morning but didn't realize why until we got home. I now keep an AC voltmeter plugged into one of the outlets.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:27 PM   #24

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Put up some Police Tape, and leave a chalk outline of a body on the Pad...
It'll discourage "claim jumpers"; for sure!
teah, Get A Couple Of Cardboard Figures of uhh, Barney Fife...should work.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #25

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoPoes View Post
Gritz:

We have a 2016 Four Winds 33SW and our toad is a 2014 Chevy Spark. We installed the SMI Stay-IN-Play braking system. It is built-in to the vehicle and you don't have to place one of those heavy brake pedal controllers. The car is so light, we usually don't even turn it on.

Marshall
We just acquired a 2014 Spark and considered towing it. I would like to know what brackets, tow bar etc. you have, assuming you are towing 4 down.
Thanks
Old 10-11-2018, 10:38 PM   #26

Model: Quantum 26 ft.
State: Florida
THOR #7835
just Curious

If we are staying three nights or more and we planned to site see we just rent a car on the way into the camp site. This saves pulling extra weight and reducing our gas mileage on the rig. No tow bar, braking system, lights, stabilizer or purchasing a car that can be flat towed. A lot of vehicles are not tow able. On short trips my wife just follows in our car. Some times ( no car ) we just sit in our chairs and watch the sun rise or set without leaving the park.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:00 AM   #27

Model: Compass 24TX
State: Kentucky
THOR #7036
I have the Compass 24TX and no toad. I don't camp, but I spend the night in campgrounds. I usually spend the day out of the campground sightseeing or doing other things. I disconnect any thing that I need to and go. Just finished almost 3 weeks traveling in SD, WY, MT, and CO. Only once did I almost have a problem. In Devil's Tower National Park, we came back to our site, and a Ranger came over and told us that he had to tell 2 other RVs to leave or our spot even though the site had a post with our required form posted on it. Just my opinion, but no plans for a toad. I like having everything with me as I'm out and about during the day. I often only hook up the electric, and then every few days i just refill the fresh water and dump the tanks.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #28

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Yup. That’s the way we do it also. I am thinking of making a sign to inform folks the space is occupied, though we have never had a issue.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #29

Model: Chateau 26B
State: Virginia
THOR #9566
We did just that on our first camping trip with our 26B. I got all setup, then we found out my son left his medication at home. Argh!!! Just unhooked everything, rolled up the awning and took a drive to the nearest CVS. Luckily nobody took our spot and it was just like it was when we left (water hose, table and grill left behind).

It tought us to add something else to our camping checklist.

dave
Old 10-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #30

State: Washington
THOR #6433
For us it depends on where we are camping. If we are planning to just stay in the campground or stay within biking or walking distance we leave our wrangler at home. That being said we just got back from going to Disney and we took our Jeep with us. We only needed it for a few days and could had rented a car but for a 2400 mile round trip it was nice piece of mind in case we had troubles with the MoHo we could just get in the car and go.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:14 PM   #31

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Our cross country will be without a toad in our 24SR. We plan on 2 months, store it out west, fly home for the holidays, go back for the winter. With auto levelers shouldn’t be to bad. Just didn’t want to leave two vehicles in storage.