Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #549
Leaving Thor

Within 10 days I’m buying a new Newmar—only a foot longer than the 2013 Ace I’m trading in.
I was still looking at Thors until I looked at a NEW Hurricane. Everything looked good; high tech thermostat, solid surface countertops in kitchen, layout & price, etc. Then I looked in the bathroom—laminated countertops! Someone had left the overhead vent open a little, water dripped on the counter and it had began delaminating. The bean counters had struck again! Of all the places, why would laminate be put in the, always moist, bathroom?
I had to dry out, glue & clamp my ACE’s bathroom laminate counter and now (before I trade it) repair the kitchen laminate also.
My ACE was not without quality & quality control problems but as an entry level coach, I put up with them.
Thor lost a sale because the corporate priorities showed through—put as many coaches out at the lowest manufacturing cost as can be done and let dealers take care of the shoddy workmanship and make excuses for the poor choice of materials.
Fool me once—shame on you, fool me twice—shame on me.
That having been said, I hope my Newmar meets my expectations.
Sorry for the rant,
Harry

Old 04-29-2019, 12:03 AM   #2

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #14058
Good luck let us know how much you love it.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:31 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The best of luck with your new rig!
And just because you're leaving Thor: it doesn't mean that you have to leave us...
Old 04-29-2019, 12:37 AM   #4

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I don't blame you, Harry! If our ws31 had given us just one more issue, I would be trading/selling it right now. We took our (very first) snowbird trip to Arizona this year. We had some major issues last summer that had me fuming! Fortunately, (depends on how you look at it I guess) the only problem we had was a shorted out (from rain) awning LED light strip. Dang, I really want a Tiffin 34QFA or 36QSA, Either one, I'm not that picky! LOL
Old 04-29-2019, 01:25 AM   #5

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
Right there with you Harry. I thought we had gotten lucky with our RS26. During the first year a couple minor issues, nothing major. BUT, this spring already I've replaced the entire entry stepwell due to rotted and delaminated plywood, have a major LP leak (seems to be the regulator, know more tomorrow) and now discovered the wing walls are water soaked and rotted. First and Last Thor for me! Good luck with your Newmar.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:58 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Congratulations! Wishing you the best of luck!
Old 04-30-2019, 04:08 AM   #7

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Was thinking the same with our ACE 29.2 when looking for an "anything but Thor" new DP, but then just like Paccino, when we saw the Palazzo 33.2 we were "pulled back in"... and we love it!
Best of luck to you wherever you land!
Old 04-30-2019, 05:41 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Joe View Post
Within 10 days I’m buying a new Newmar—only a foot longer than the 2013 Ace I’m trading in.

Fool me once—shame on you, fool me twice—shame on me.
That having been said, I hope my Newmar meets my expectations.
Sorry for the rant,
Harry
Yup.. many years ago...came to the same conclusion.. Looked at the Monaco, Newmar, Tiffin, Winnebago, Fleetwood...didn't like what I saw.....
Then looked at the Country Coach.. MUCH Better....a week later.... We were in a campground surrounded by brands I hadn't heard much of...let alone toured... The owners were gracious enough to give us the "nickel tour" of their coaches.. Could not afford the Prevost Conversions or the Newell's .. so the next best became "THE ONE".. 17 years and counting.. will probably out last me..

Happy Hunting
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:58 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Harry Joe, I dont blame you. Newmar makes really good RV's.

If I was in the market I would look at the Newmars first.

But I do like the Thor products and prices (after you neg. down) but not the overall quality. I just hope in a few years Thor (and all mass produced RV's) raise there quality.

I bet somewhere if you read the fine print we will find out we have "Starter kits" for RV's. LOL. "Up to owner to compete the starter kit". LOL
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:33 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Harry Joe, I dont blame you. Newmar makes really good RV's.

If I was in the market I would look at the Newmars first.

But I do like the Thor products and prices (after you neg. down) but not the overall quality. I just hope in a few years Thor (and all mass produced RV's) raise there quality.

I bet somewhere if you read the fine print we will find out we have "Starter kits" for RV's. LOL. "Up to owner to compete the starter kit". LOL
Yes, but THOR left the assembly manual for the starter kit out, also...
Old 04-30-2019, 07:23 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I hope you remember to check back in and update this thread for us in a few months time... I'm sure a lot of us will be interested in you impressions and comparisons several months in....

Otherwise good luck and enjoy!