Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2019, 11:25 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #12268
Lemon law

Has anyone had to resort to legal action do to defective RV. We bought ours in July and it has been in the service shop at the dealer for 90% of the time. We have Thor involved but they aren't doing much. When it goes in for service it takes months to get what's wrong corrected and then I get it back with more things wrong.

I really need to know if this is normal.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:08 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Storm 32V - pre
State: Alabama
THOR #6826
Itís not unusual to have quite a few items needing repair. But Iíd not consider it normal to have the machine stuck at the dealer for months at a time. Iíd take it to Thor in Indiana (I know - you shouldnít have to do that, but...) or Iíd find an independent repair shop that actually values your business. There are some that can do warranty work. As a last resort, Iíd just spend the money to have it fixed by an independent repair shop. Again, you shouldnít have to do that but if itís only a few hundred dollars itís probably cheaper than driving to Indiana or hiring lawyers. The good news is that once you get the bugs out youíll probably get years of good service from your coach.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Georgia
THOR #11130
What issues are you having?
Old 03-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The Lemon Laws are pretty State specific: consult with your State Attorney General's Office about this issue.
Generally speaking: the chassis might be covered under a Lemon Law Statute; but eh Coach part isn't...
But I'm not a Lawyer...

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #5

THOR #11130
In reading through his complaint...the statement, "Thor isn't doing much" leads me to believe the issues are not big issues and the problem is more of a dealer service quality issue. For the most part, Thor is very pro-active with product issues. A list of specific issues would help.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: some more information would certainly help...

Having said this...

I had a pretty long "Punch-List" on my Outlaw...
The Dealership didn't get interested in fixing things, until I started talking LOUDLY in their store about a full refund.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:49 AM   #7

State: Alaska
THOR #7410
No it is not normal. Donít waste your time going to Indiana. They are no better than CW. They may work on the rv while itís there but the techs arenít any better. You paid for an rv with a warranty and should not have to extend more money to fix it while under warranty because Thor doesnít want to spend the money you paid for it to fix it. Iím done trying to deal with Thor. They donít know what it means to be respectful or professional. I have hired an attorney.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:17 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We've heard many good reports, from folks who went back to the factory for repairs. What happened with yours?

Old 03-13-2019, 01:24 AM   #9

THOR #6826
Lemon law

I respect jmcjaw2ís experience and decision making, but that level of frustration also isnít ďnormalĒ. I suggest making an appointment with the general manager of your dealership to discuss your experience and ask for expedited service. If that doesnít work Iíd take it to another service center and try again. If it was me (which it was....) Iíd make as many repairs as I could do myself and, unless it was something huge, just pay for the remaining repairs. I bought my RV to enjoy and relax and itís not worth the frustration to try to force Thor into making good. And, in my experience Thor was very helpful and committed during my few calls to them when I was under warranty. Good luck and I hope you are able to finally enjoy. I have noticed that most of the many quality complaints on this forum are related to new coaches. I think that most folks do eventually get past the new coach bugs and are able to enjoy happy travels.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:41 AM   #10

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
state of cal is real straight forward , and they go to bat for you./ Ö I had to do it once,Fleetwood gave me a new motorhome..and up graded it to the next higher model...if it's been in for repairs for over 30 days, or repeted repairs for the same thing... lemon law steps in... on mine it was obvious that it wasn't getting fixed, reps from Fleetwood came out looked at it and said give him a new one...what you have going is it was purchaced in cal... I think???
Old 03-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #11

THOR #11130
I think a lot of it has to do with the level of skill of the owner. He hasn't come back in and addressed examples of a few of the issues. Some people really go over the edge over a light not working or a plumbing flange under a sink needing a twist or two for tightening. I ran into an old crab-a** in Wakarusa that was wailing away at 7AM over the stupidest little things. The more the techs tried to appease him, the more arrogant he got. I finally stood up to him and asked him..."this is stupid stuff you're bringing up, why are you such an a**hole to everyone...these people are bending over backwards for you and all you can do is act like a jacka**". His wife told me a few minutes later outside..."he's like this about everything...it's so embarrassing, but if I say anything he gets worse". Some folks are really unhappy people and nothing anyone can do will help.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yup! They wouldn't even be happy, if you hung them with a brand-new rope!

Old 03-14-2019, 03:02 AM   #13

THOR #6826
It takes some effort to move gracefully through life and I donít always succeed. But hereís to trying!