Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2016, 01:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37ND
State: Ontario
THOR #3357
'Lemonger' is at it again!

Hello Challenger friends,
Out on a little shake-down excursion two weeks before a planed trip down to Texas, discovered that my outside kitchen sink doesn't want to drain. The macerator sucks the contents of the sink down but it re-appears seconds later. Anyone else with this?

I should mention that a few days ago when I sanitized the water system and was operating the outside sink/macerator, a portion of the drain had become unattached and was spewing the contents of the sink inside the compartment-I quickly re-attached the offending hose and all was good.

What do you think...a blockage in the drain perhaps?

As a side, hooked up a new '16 Focus manual tranny as a tow vehicle (excellent) and installed TireMinder's A1A. TPMS, all performing wonderfully.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
It sounds like a blockage or quite possibly the backflow preventer is stuck closed. If you start at the sink you have the drain lines going into the macerator and then after the macerator there should be a back flow preventer which is a one way valve. The water pressure from the macerator should open the valve and then it should close when the macerator is turned off. Yours may be stuck in the closed position and not allowing the waste water to flow to the tank.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:30 AM   #3

THOR #3357
I like your thinking. Aside from it being pitch-black and almost 32 degrees here on the shores of Georgian Bay, any suggestions for a Saturday morning task?
Old 04-23-2016, 01:57 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If your temps have dropped below freezing it is possible that the backflow preventer is froze in the closed position. A little heat from a hair dryer or a small ceramic heater may cure the problem. It may also fix itself with some warmer temps. Do you have the waste water diagram showing the backflow preventer?

I have 2 tasks for the weekend. First one tomorrow is to replace the water line for the refrigerator. I forgot to shutoff the ice maker valve and disconnect the line when I winterized and it bit me in the butt.

The second is to remove the Seiki TV in the living area and determine what I need to do to mount my 46 inch Sharp Aquos. I need to make sure the area where the TV is mounted will support the addition 14 pounds of television weight. It might not be possible to put that size TV in that spot but so far the measurements all looks good.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #5

THOR #3357
Morning, yes it is all about the tasks! Good luck with the water line and the new TV, I hope it mounts easily.

I don't have a diagram for the diverter but will pull the drawers out from the sink and have a better look at the system.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Sarge -- when the discharge backed up into the sink after the macerator had suckef it down, that discharge didn't mix with any of the nastiness past the macerator did it? I'd be sure to super sanitize the sink before using it.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:02 PM   #7

THOR #3357
Thanks for suggestion, but thankfully there was no 'nastiness' coming back up...the back-flow looked as clear coming up as it did going down, and I think the situation is resolved.