Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2019, 04:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Looks like they are droping 2 ACE floor plans.

I was just on the Thor motor coach webside the they show TWO ACE floor plans "Available Dealer stock only". Its the 29.3 and 32.1 (I really like those floor plans).

I think the 32.1 was new for 2019 with 2 full bath and its only 33.6 foot long! I thought that was perfect setup for a family with teenagers. This WAS the only smallish A class with two bathrooms that I have ever seen (even with other manufactures).

I hope they offer two new plans that we like as well.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
While at the Wakarusa Amusement Park I was told the mid-range plans for Thor (and a few others) is to reduce the number of floor plans in lineups. This will allow more uniform raw materials across the models, eliminate so many wiring harness differences and and lots of other things that cause so many issues in the build process. When every other coach coming down the line is a different make/model, things get mixed up. Three years ago Open Range (my previous TT) started building groups of "like models" vs the every other model being different. It reduced their errors and warranty issues by over 70% in 6 months. New buyers didn't see the older floorplans you/we fell in love with, so they (older floorplans) won't make a difference in their choice today. Eliminating so many floorplans is a great idea and will help dealers keep most everything Thor offers in stock...reducing buyers from flying 1,000 miles away from home to get what they want. Complex solution to complex problem.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #3

THOR #12231
Yep, I think your on to something. I rather see build quality go up.... But I hate to see such unique floor plans (2 bath) get dropped. But Perhaps there was not as much demand for such a plan.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I also think I’m seeing some streamlining of the brand overlap. Winnebago/Itasca, Fleetwood/southwind/Holiday Rambler and of course Thor. Used to be different lines were virtually identical and there certainly is room for consolidation or differentiation. Either like GM dropping Pontiac or Cadillac (finally) making brand specific offerings
Old 02-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The biggest issue(s) Thor is facing today (their words) is overall QC and "dealer engagement" in the "after sale" process of customer satisfaction. Fewer models, more adequate inventory per dealer and less buyers traveling country-wide to buy a motorhome will build better relationships with buyers AND dealers on a local basis. This will also allow Thor to hold the dealer's hands closer to the fire if they want to continue with Thor products.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #6

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I also think I’m seeing some streamlining of the brand overlap. Winnebago/Itasca, Fleetwood/southwind/Holiday Rambler and of course Thor. Used to be different lines were virtually identical and there certainly is room for consolidation or differentiation. Either like GM dropping Pontiac or Cadillac (finally) making brand specific offerings
Cadillac? THey still stell them and I thought they were doing good. I love the looks overall of the Caddies.

Or did you mean Oldsmobile or Saturn?
Old 02-19-2019, 04:44 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
With plant 750 one of the big production problems is with Detroit Chassis and MoRryde. Detroit Chassis supplies seven different chassis (length and weight) to MORryde for modification to Thor specifications. The chassis are ordered one calendar year before that model year starts. MORryde must have a tooling jig for each floor plan and the prototype for that floor plan must be approved by Thor plant 750 before a particular style and type of chassis is approved for production. Plant 750 converted to batch production in 2018. Thor MC does not does not produce any coaches that are not dealer ordered and the coaches must be payed for, in full, before the coaches leave the factory lot. So the production of a coach starts a year before Thor ever receives an order. Considering plant 750 finishes 8-14 coach each day in the four lines (Freedom Traveler, ACE, Hurricane, Windsport) flow management must be a big problem. I remember the stack of 600 Coleman A/C, stacked on pallets beside the wall laminating press and the tour guide telling me that was a five week supply.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Cadillac? THey still stell them and I thought they were doing good. I love the looks overall of the Caddies.

Or did you mean Oldsmobile or Saturn?

Nope, I just meant that where Cadillac used to sell virtually re-baged Chevys and Buicks they now have clearly defined unique to the brand models. I’ve seeing that sort of differentiation emerge in RVs.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #9

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The biggest issue(s) Thor is facing today (their words) is overall QC and "dealer engagement" in the "after sale" process of customer satisfaction. Fewer models, more adequate inventory per dealer and less buyers traveling country-wide to buy a motorhome will build better relationships with buyers AND dealers on a local basis. This will also allow Thor to hold the dealer's hands closer to the fire if they want to continue with Thor products.
Well I think what would help CW (and other RV dealers) is they sign a Thor contract that tells them the perameters to appove warrantee or factory defects/recalls themselves (without waiting a week for THOR approval).

Just like any other Car dealership.....You bring it in, they punch in the vin # and check extended warentee and get the job done in one day (But let say 3 to 5 days for RV's if they order parts).

This to me is one of the biggest flaw in the RV industry. They want to point fingers on who fixes what and half the time they (Dealers) have to push it back two or 3 times until Thor appoves someting because the dealer dont want to be out money for "assuming" Thor will appoved something.

I had minor cosmetic things like this on my RV so it took a few trys before it was done (10 Mo). Thats when I decided to ever go to a dealer again if it was a cheap fix and I could do the work myself.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #10

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Nope, I just meant that where Cadillac used to sell virtually re-baged Chevys and Buicks they now have clearly defined unique to the brand models. I’ve seeing that sort of differentiation emerge in RVs.
Oh got it. Yep they did that for decades.