Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2017, 11:30 AM   #201
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Before I left on a business trip last week we took our coach to the dealer for its routine service, generator service, annual roof inspection and state safety inspection. The night before driving it up I started getting a leveler error message stating "return for service" which could not be reset.

I plan on calling the dealer later this week for a status update on that and my Axxerra radio which once again is loosing power while driving. If my radio requires replacement, again, it will be the fourth.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:02 AM   #202

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Georgia
THOR #5536
Hoosier 26, sorry to hear about your rig. Hopefully they will catch the idiots.

I haven't been on here lately... We ended up finding a tow vehicle finally. I couldn't believe what Jeeps are going for these days. Thankfully, our local dealer has been calling me every time they get in a Wrangler on trade. They finally got one that wasn't ridiculous. Bought it last week and just got it back from installing tires and rims. We also ordered a bumper from Rock Hard 4x4. Once I found out their bumper is compatible with Blue Ox connectors as an option, I was sold. Basically for $100 more than what the baseplate would have cost, we got a bumper upgrade and don't have to drill into the frame.

Had a question.. are y'all using braking systems and if so, what are you guys using?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3330.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	3837
Old 02-01-2017, 04:13 AM   #203

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Depends on what you are referring to. If they are next to the camera lens, they are for night vision. If you are referring to the ones to the left and right of the camera assembly, they are docking lights. The switch for the docking lights are on the dash to the right of the steering column.
Checked the coach Saturday and they were the dock lights as was explained. Thank you!!
Old 02-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #204

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post

I haven't been on here lately... We ended up finding a tow vehicle finally. I couldn't believe what Jeeps are going for these days. Thankfully, our local dealer has been calling me every time they get in a Wrangler on trade. They finally got one that wasn't ridiculous. Bought it last week and just got it back from installing tires and rims. We also ordered a bumper from Rock Hard 4x4. Once I found out their bumper is compatible with Blue Ox connectors as an option, I was sold. Basically for $100 more than what the baseplate would have cost, we got a bumper upgrade and don't have to drill into the frame.

Had a question.. are y'all using braking systems and if so, what are you guys using?

Attachment 3837
I'm towing a 2010 Wrangler, and use the Brake Buddy. Pretty painless. Also, I use the magnetic lights for braking, turning. I attach them to the back bumper using heavy duty Velcro.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:54 AM   #205
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Attachment 3837
I use Roadmaster's Invisbrake - permanent mounted solution that is 'plug and play' when needed.
Also use the Mopar taillight controller - uses the normal Jeep tail/brake/turn lights driven from the MH...

Connecting one embilical from MH to Wrangler takes care of brakes and lights. (Also breakaway cable and safety chains of course).
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:56 PM   #206

THOR #6162
While I've only had our coach in possession for about a week, I've been considering the alternatives for lighting on our Explorer which we plan to tow. There are the 4 diode sets which you can wire into the suv's harness or the mag mount lights (I don't think so). I also have considered building a T-bar to fit in the trailer hitch on the suv and mount some oval trailer tail lights in it. Any thoughts on this??
Old 02-02-2017, 11:03 PM   #207

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I would recommend something like the Blue Ox Tail Light Wiring kit. Completely separate lights that looks good and you don't have to cut into your vehicle wiring.

Blue Ox Tail Light Wiring Kit - Bulb and Socket Blue Ox Tow Bar Wiring BX8869
Old 02-03-2017, 02:12 AM   #208

THOR #6162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
I would recommend something like the Blue Ox Tail Light Wiring kit. Completely separate lights that looks good and you don't have to cut into your vehicle wiring.

Blue Ox Tail Light Wiring Kit - Bulb and Socket Blue Ox Tow Bar Wiring BX8869
Not sure that bulb and socket set will work with my 2015 Explorer as it has LED taillights and not much room for any other bulbs. I really don't have a problem doing the diode install, just thinking out loud about possibilities.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:17 AM   #209

THOR #5536
I went with the Demco Towed Wire Connector. It plugs into the existing light wiring harnesses but haven't hooked everything up yet. I'm still waiting on my bumpers to arrive before I get into wiring. Figured when I pull the old bumpers off that would be the best time to do it.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #210

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Nevada
THOR #5937
Quote:

Attachment 3837
I have a 2016 challenger 37KT and flat tow a 08 wrangler I have a brake buddy that I lay on the floor (because some states require you use one) but I have found it much easier to just pay attention as the vehicle is not that heavy and the errors sometimes caused by the auxiliary braking system outweigh the benefits, I will say that most of my experience was with a DP with an exhaust brake, but recently went from Tucson to Vegas and back ( LOTS OF HILLS) in my challenger and had no issues without using it, not recommending it just my experience, I have a $1200 brake system that I have only used 3 times, would be curious to hear other views
Old 02-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #211
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtube View Post
I have a 2016 challenger 37KT and flat tow a 08 wrangler I have a brake buddy that I lay on the floor (because some states require you use one) but I have found it much easier to just pay attention as the vehicle is not that heavy and the errors sometimes caused by the auxiliary braking system outweigh the benefits, I will say that most of my experience was with a DP with an exhaust brake, but recently went from Tucson to Vegas and back ( LOTS OF HILLS) in my challenger and had no issues without using it, not recommending it just my experience, I have a $1200 brake system that I have only used 3 times, would be curious to hear other views
I tow a 2010 Wrangler 2dr soft top (relatively light for a Wrangler)... I use an Invisibrake when I tow. I certainly notice the additional weight in acceleration - but with the Invisibrake I never notice it stopping.

Personally I wouldn't tow without it.
On my longer (months away) trips - I know I am near the max weight of the coach (weight by cat scales) - so any additional weight is more than the brakes were designed for. (Have a little leeway for the combined weight rating because the Wrangler is lighter - but still near the upper limit of design)
There certainly is more load on the RV brakes - whether you feel it or not - and has to result in more heat/wear and/or longer stopping distance. I'd much rather service the Jeep's brakes sooner (which I can do) than the RV's (which I'm guessing I will have to have someone else do).
The ticket/liability exposure if you have an accident and the unit is found off/disconnected just isn't worth the risk in my mind.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #212

Model: Venetian B42
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5655
Looking for 4 down toad/daily driver

I am looking to buy a vehicle to drive daily and double as a toad. Don't have room for another vehicle as a dedicated toad. My experience is with Ford vehicles because I worked for them (1st job after college). Talking with the local dealer now about a 2017 Fusion Hybrid which Ford says can be flat towed. I need to keep the purchase to around 30K. Would consider used but don't want any mechanical headaches. Several of you have mentioned your toads. Anybody using that same vehicle for daily driver when not traveling? Any suggestions that would provide reasonably efficient/comfortable daily use with 4 down towing?
Old 02-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #213
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier 26 View Post
I am looking to buy a vehicle to drive daily and double as a toad. Don't have room for another vehicle as a dedicated toad. My experience is with Ford vehicles because I worked for them (1st job after college). Talking with the local dealer now about a 2017 Fusion Hybrid which Ford says can be flat towed. I need to keep the purchase to around 30K. Would consider used but don't want any mechanical headaches. Several of you have mentioned your toads. Anybody using that same vehicle for daily driver when not traveling? Any suggestions that would provide reasonably efficient/comfortable daily use with 4 down towing?
I am getting ready to outfit my 2015 Lincoln MKZ for flat towing. Very efficient fuel wise and definitely comfortable. We were dolly towing our 2008 Fusion until we unloaded it for an Expedition which can not be towed due to weight.

When I was out of town last week on business the rental was a Fusion Hybrid. It was comfortable and I only used 2.2 gallons of gas for the week with 80 miles driven.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #214

THOR #5536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier 26 View Post

I was looking at a Ford Focus Hatchback but wanted my Jeep back. I sold my last jeep about 4 years ago and it was a sad day. My daily driver is a F250. I plan on driving the jeep to work once a week to keep everything going and to pull some miles off of my truck.

Read thru the owners manuals before you decide. This will help double check the ability to be towed 4 flat and how big a pain in the butt it is to get it ready to be towed. Ford has all of their manuals online.

I liked the focus, it was roomy enough, got 30mpg and the hatch was good for the dog when DW and our 2 kids are in the back seat. I remember reading thru some of the manuals of the focus and the fusion. I think there were a few models or option packages that couldn't be towed. Just make sure to read everything. The salesmen at the dealer ships have absolutely no clue about towing from what I experienced. One of the dealerships in Atlanta had about 25 cars that were 2016's. I could have bought the Focus for $15k brand new. They had them marked down almost $6 to $8k to try to get rid of them.

Ultimately, for what trips we take, the jeep is a better choice for us. From my research it is the easiest vehicle to get set up as a Toad. I will find out if that's true this weekend as I set everything up. Lol..
Old 02-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #215

THOR #5655
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I am getting ready to outfit my 2015 Lincoln MKZ for flat towing. Very efficient fuel wise and definitely comfortable. We were dolly towing our 2008 Fusion until we unloaded it for an Expedition which can not be towed due to weight.

When I was out of town last week on business the rental was a Fusion Hybrid. It was comfortable and I only used 2.2 gallons of gas for the week with 80 miles driven.

@ Oldgold and Dstankov

I have read the Ford towing guide on Ford.com and the hybrid models can be flat towed. There is a procedure but nothing difficult. Max speed 65 and 6 hours max continuous towing without starting the Fusion. I don't drive for 6 hours without stopping (we have dogs), so no problem. I am looking at Mid March for a decision. The dealer has several on order. As soon as they have one on the lot I'll go check it out. Jeeps are very cool but I think for a daily driver in a professional occupation the Fusion is going to be more usable. If anyone has another favorite tow vehicle that might fit my situation please reply. I like to compare and know I'm getting the best fit.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #216
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you are considering a Fusion Hybrid and don't need the trunk space you really should consider the Energi model as well. After all the rebates it actually costs a little bit less than the hybrid and you can get an extra 20 miles or so on electricity only. The best part is: with the right equipment you can charge it up on the 50a plugs in the campground.

Granted you are also adding a few hundred lbs to the weight which must also be a consideration.

We take our C-Max Energi with us and plug it in at the campground... until the campground's breaker trips LOL.

The other advantage is the energy costs: our C-Max is my daily driver. I'm only paying about $50 total in fuel (gas + electricity) a month for about 1000 miles of driving.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #217

THOR #5655
@ Oldgold and dstnkov

Thanks for your replies. I read the Ford towing guide on Ford.com and the hybrid models are flat towable. I think the CVT (continuously variable transmission) plays a role in that ability. I'm not that techy so I can't explain. I am glad to hear about the 40 MPG in real world driving. The local dealer has several on order and I will test drive as soon as they have one on the lot. I still have time to consider other options. I'm looking at mid march to make a final decision. Oldgold I think Jeep's are cool and when you need one nothing else will do. However, as a daily driver in a professional business office environment I don't think it will meet my needs. If anyone has other favorite daily driver/toad vehicle ideas I would love to hear. Also, I am thinking about brake controls. The discussion here has given me a lot to think about. I am a clean installation and as little hassle at hook up time as possible kind of guy. So thoughts on that would also be appreciated.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #218

THOR #5655
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If you are considering a Fusion Hybrid and don't need the trunk space you really should consider the Energi model as well. After all the rebates it actually costs a little bit less than the hybrid and you can get an extra 20 miles or so on electricity only. The best part is: with the right equipment you can charge it up on the 50a plugs in the campground.

Granted you are also adding a few hundred lbs to the weight which must also be a consideration.

We take our C-Max Energi with us and plug it in at the campground... until the campground's breaker trips LOL.

The other advantage is the energy costs: our C-Max is my daily driver. I'm only paying about $50 total in fuel (gas + electricity) a month for about 1000 miles of driving.

Thanks JamieGeek. I will call my dealer today. Never considered the Energi model. I just thought it would be too expensive. I'll check it out.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #219

THOR #5655
Double post - Sorry

Trying to use the app to do posts here and sometimes it appears to lose the info. That is why I sent the double similar posts to Oldgold and dstankov. Have a great day. Time to work.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #220

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
We tow a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. I use a RVI brake and a wireless light bar for brake and turning lights. we also us a solar trickle charger (place on the dash of Jeep) to keep the battery charged. The system works great.

KC