Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2017, 01:06 AM   #221
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier 26 View Post
@ Oldgold and dstnkov

Thanks for your replies. I read the Ford towing guide on Ford.com and the hybrid models are flat towable. I think the CVT (continuously variable transmission) plays a role in that ability. I'm not that techy so I can't explain. I am glad to hear about the 40 MPG in real world driving. The local dealer has several on order and I will test drive as soon as they have one on the lot. I still have time to consider other options. I'm looking at mid march to make a final decision. Oldgold I think Jeep's are cool and when you need one nothing else will do. However, as a daily driver in a professional business office environment I don't think it will meet my needs. If anyone has other favorite daily driver/toad vehicle ideas I would love to hear. Also, I am thinking about brake controls. The discussion here has given me a lot to think about. I am a clean installation and as little hassle at hook up time as possible kind of guy. So thoughts on that would also be appreciated.
Interesting on the CVT - as Subaru seemed to stop allowing flat tow when they went to CVT... Possible for other reasons then...

The Jeep is a great toad - but it isn't known for it fuel economy or nice smooth ride... No substitute when you need it - but mileage in low teens and harsh loud ride.

Sounds like you want a permanent installed brake system and lights... As mentionsed earlier in thread - Invisibrake certainly fits the category for brakes. There are kits available that allow powering the vehicle lights from RV - while still isolating the systems (diodes).

2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:36 AM   #222
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc
Interesting on the CVT - as Subaru seemed to stop allowing flat tow when they went to CVT... Possible for other reasons then...
The Ford Hybrid's don't really use a CVT like you think of a CVT.

There really is no "gears" in the hybrids (I believe its the same for a Prius as Ford had to license some of Toyota's patents). Nor is there a belt between two "cones" like you would think of a CVT.

Here is a diagram of it:

If you really want more info go here (pdf)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:40 AM   #223

Model: Venetian B42
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5655
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post

The Jeep is a great toad - but it isn't known for it fuel economy or nice smooth ride... No substitute when you need it - but mileage in low teens and harsh loud ride.

Sounds like you want a permanent installed brake system and lights... As mentionsed earlier in thread - Invisibrake certainly fits the category for brakes. There are kits available that allow powering the vehicle lights from RV - while still isolating the systems (diodes).

I have a lot of reading to do. Sitting at the computer now reading info on Blue Ox system. Seems like this could get salty with base plate, tow bar, wiring and brake system. Is $2500.00 about right plus installation if you need a hand? Not sure I trust myself on a project like this.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:13 AM   #224

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
I am planning on towing my 2015 Explorer Limited. Towing is same as the Fusion. Only thing I haven't found yet, relates to the electric rack and pinion and whether that will be an issue. I hope not as otherwise, I believe I'm good to go for everything else. Not sure why I need to put ignition in accy..don't think it has steering lock.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:53 AM   #225
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier 26 View Post
I have a lot of reading to do. Sitting at the computer now reading info on Blue Ox system. Seems like this could get salty with base plate, tow bar, wiring and brake system. Is $2500.00 about right plus installation if you need a hand? Not sure I trust myself on a project like this.
You are in the ballpark... I would suggest pricing both Roadmaster and Blue Ox - they are both good systems. When I got mine, I got a much better deal on the Roadmaster.

*IF* you have a GOOD CW near you - and are a Good Sam's member - they were offering a fixed price install - which was much cheaper when it came to the brake unit.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #226

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash557 View Post
I am planning on towing my 2015 Explorer Limited. Towing is same as the Fusion. Only thing I haven't found yet, relates to the electric rack and pinion and whether that will be an issue. I hope not as otherwise, I believe I'm good to go for everything else. Not sure why I need to put ignition in accy..don't think it has steering lock.
My 2015 Ford Explorer tows very well with the Blue Ox setup. I wondered the same thing about putting the ignition in the accessory position, but I exactly follow the Ford owner's manual instructions and haven't had any issues.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #227

Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Georgia
THOR #5536
Love our Challenger

I deleted this post. Figured it out.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #228

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #6162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
My 2015 Ford Explorer tows very well with the Blue Ox setup. I wondered the same thing about putting the ignition in the accessory position, but I exactly follow the Ford owner's manual instructions and haven't had any issues.

Thanks DocP! That makes me feel more comfortable towing the Explorer.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #229

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post
I deleted this post. Figured it out.
That was an interesting problem - glad you fixed it. Good idea to pass fixes like that on so we can all benefit. Yes even dumb mistakes.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #230

THOR #5536
Love our Challenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
That was an interesting problem - glad you fixed it. Good idea to pass fixes like that on so we can all benefit. Yes even dumb mistakes.

Our challenger had the valve open between the hot and cold lines at the water heater (The bypass valve) The sinks were pulsing warm and cold water on the hot side. Found the valve and shut it off so water only goes into hot water heater. For some weird reason the hot water worked with the valve open on city pressure. But this weekend is our first dry camp run and when I had the water pump running it would pulse cold water into the hot side exit of the hot water heater. Weird it would work on city pressure. I hadn't realized the valve was open before because the water was hot on city connection.

Not really a fix.. just dumb and not paying attention. Lol.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #231

THOR #5536
Anyone install a separate monitor for their cameras? Was looking at this one... thought it would be nice to have all the cameras up at all times.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/9-qua...r-monitor.html
Old 02-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #232

THOR #4609
Quote:
Anyone install a separate monitor for their cameras? Was looking at this one... thought it would be nice to have all the cameras up at all times.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/9-qua...r-monitor.html
So will this work with the existing camera set up?
Old 02-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #233

THOR #5536
I'm pretty sure it does. Couldn't get a really good answer from Rear View Safety. I ordered the monitor yesterday and they said if it doesn't work to send it back. I'm not much of an A/V guy but hoping for the best. What I was trying to get out of it was to have the 4 screens up at once, have the three video feeds from the Challenger and to pick up my cell phone screen on the 4th.

All I know if the Axxera is a pile of junk and I am probably going to replace it as well but think I would prefer being able to see everything constantly on a bigger monitor. The wiring diagram of the monitor appears to match everything on the Challenger and has turn signal function to cut to that feed if you are on single screen.

I'll repost once I get into it this weekend. Just curious if anyone else has done this yet and has any suggestions or things not to do.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #234

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #1183
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it does. Couldn't get a really good answer from Rear View Safety. I ordered the monitor yesterday and they said if it doesn't work to send it back. I'm not much of an A/V guy but hoping for the best. What I was trying to get out of it was to have the 4 screens up at once, have the three video feeds from the Challenger and to pick up my cell phone screen on the 4th.

All I know if the Axxera is a pile of junk and I am probably going to replace it as well but think I would prefer being able to see everything constantly on a bigger monitor. The wiring diagram of the monitor appears to match everything on the Challenger and has turn signal function to cut to that feed if you are on single screen.

I'll repost once I get into it this weekend. Just curious if anyone else has done this yet and has any suggestions or things not to do.
Your problem may be connectors - be prepared to shop for adapters. I looked at spec's and nothing mentioned. Video connectors shown in installation manual look nonstandard. Suspect it will only work with their cameras.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #235

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The Ford Hybrid's don't really use a CVT like you think of a CVT.

There really is no "gears" in the hybrids (I believe its the same for a Prius as Ford had to license some of Toyota's patents). Nor is there a belt between two "cones" like you would think of a CVT.

Here is a diagram of it:

If you really want more info go here (pdf)
Thanks for posting. There seems to be a shift (no pun intended) from mechanical-based CVTs like those that use belt-like technology to electrical-based CVTs that depend on motors and generators.

From drawings I've seen the Honda CVT is similar except that it doesn't have a planetary gear set to split/merge power from generator and internal combustion engine. Instead it uses a clutch to separate the motor attached to wheels from the motor/generator attached directly to the ICE. To me it seems a little simpler.

Do you know which CVTs can be flat towed? It would seem that as long as the motors can spin freely, and gears get enough lubrication, that these electrical CVTs should be towable.

By the way, last month I got to drive two compact rentals with mechanical CVTs for first time and they were not as bad as some reports I had read. The rubber band effect didn't bother me that much.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #236
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Do you know which CVTs can be flat towed? It would seem that as long as the motors can spin freely, and gears get enough lubrication, that these electrical CVTs should be towable.
No I don't have that information.

Only that the Ford hybrid's can be flat towed: C-Max hybrid/Energi and Fusion hybrid/Energi since they all use the same powertrain (the Energi models just have a larger battery).

I do think that this version of a CVT is unique to hybrids, however.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #237
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

Only that the Ford hybrid's can be flat towed: C-Max hybrid/Energi and Fusion hybrid/Energi since they all use the same powertrain (the Energi models just have a larger battery).

Ford and Lincoln hybrids use the eCVT transmission and not a CVT. Ford's non-hybrids use a transaxle designed through a joint venture with GM and most Ford's using that trans can be flat towed.

The primary difference is eCVT uses electronic motors whereas the CVT uses belts and chains.

I believe other manufacturers are using the eCVT in hybrids so they may also be flat towable.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #238

THOR #2121
Quote:

Agree. I'm not aware of any electrical-based CVTs that don't have some hybrid battery capacity, although in some cases it's very limited -- often below 2 kW-hrs. That's less than some RV house battery-banks.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:31 PM   #239

THOR #5536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Your problem may be connectors - be prepared to shop for adapters. I looked at spec's and nothing mentioned. Video connectors shown in installation manual look nonstandard. Suspect it will only work with their cameras.

Got it figured out. All we needed was ASA female to 5 pin round female connectors. Rearview Safety sold them as well. As for install, basically all it was is unhook the 3 camera leads from the signal module under the dash and hook them to the harness of the monitor using the connectors. Then cut the three signal power leads and wire them to the harness using butt connectors. Screw on the base to the dash and done... I did buy a different base as the Waite base that came with it wouldn't fit where I wanted to install. No more worrying about the crap Axxera radio for a video feed!! I may even run a different cord to mirror my phone screen to the monitor on the fourth feed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3429.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	4065

Name:	IMG_3430.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	4066

Name:	IMG_3431.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	4067
Old 02-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #240

Model: Venetian B42
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5655
That is amazing and exactly what I want to do. Could you post a list of parts and basic instructions?