Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2017, 11:59 PM   #381

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Tennessee
THOR #4231
Leveling issues

I finally figured out that our driveway slopes more than the auto level system on my 37TB can correct so I am going to get my husband to cut some boards for me to carry and use whenever the parking spot is too sloped.

I purchased some of the plastic blocks that stack into pyramids, but they are not supposed to be stacked high enough to compensate for the slope of our driveway, and when I did try them, the weight of the MH crushed them out of shape.

I am thinking 2x12's cut into 13"or 14" lengths that I can stack under the levelers. Is there something I am not thinking of? Will this solution work? Will boards this size satisfy campgrounds that want protection for their concrete pads?

Appreciate info on what has worked for others.

Thanks,
Linda

Old 09-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #382

State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Linda, what we've done is to get a 2"x12"x6' pine board and cut it into 1' lengths. Then we used a 1" woven strap material cut into links (about 12") and then used 1" electrical staples to attach the straps to the 2"x12"x1' blocks. Makes positioning them considerably easier with a 6' handle.

The issue that you may encounter is raising your wheels off the ground. Not really an issue for the front but a BIG NO NO for the rear drive wheels.

Some campgrounds require a pad under the levelers - this blocks work fine for that. To ease this requirement, we installed RV SnapPads. Ease to put on and out of the way.

Just what we did.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #383

THOR #4231
Thanks Ben!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #384

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Please, please, read what bigben said about not lifting rear wheels off the ground!!! If you raise the rear wheels you have NO brakes since your emergency brake only locks the rear wheels. Please be cautious! Don't want anyone hurt!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #385

THOR #1020
Linda, hope you are enjoying your new coach! Pics?
Old 09-21-2017, 03:19 PM   #386

THOR #4231
So far it's overwhelming[emoji46]. All of the warnings about inspecting every connection, etc., etc., when everything is mostly out of sight, underneath or behind panels.... so many manuals to read!

I will not be able to get it outfitted and ready before the weather here turns cold and we leave for Panama. Probably won't hit the road until spring. Haven't had any luck changing my husband's mind, so will have to find another companion for any major trips. Did one overnight with my daughter and grandkids, but not crazy enough to take them on a long trip just yet. A 4 year old, a 2 year old, and a 4 month old are not the ingredients for a relaxing journey! And Dad would be too lonely at home without them.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:20 PM   #387

THOR #4231
Not sure how to post pics, but I will work on it.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #388

THOR #4231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Please, please, read what bigben said about not lifting rear wheels off the ground!!! If you raise the rear wheels you have NO brakes since your emergency brake only locks the rear wheels. Please be cautious! Don't want anyone hurt!

Driveway is front wheels up. I will remember about the rear wheels!
Thanks!
Old 10-06-2017, 01:09 AM   #389

State: California
THOR #8818
Thanks everyone.

Question: does anyone know the height of the RV with AC units? I’ve tried googling but getting various answers. We have the 2017 37TB.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:22 AM   #390

Model: Venetian B42
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5655
The literature says 12’9”. I have the same rig. That said I get nervous with clearance lower than 13’6”. Any bumps or elevation change can eat up that clearance pretty quick.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:35 AM   #391

Model: Challenger
State: Michigan
THOR #5237
Boy I hope 12'9" is correct cuz that's what's plugged into my GPS
Old 10-06-2017, 02:38 AM   #392

THOR #5655
I have my coach back

After a month as a hostage at Camping World I have my 37TB back. I am happy to report that Thor stood behind their product. The hitch flange and the chassis frame extension flange that are bolted together began to rip. There was a 4” year in the metal. I can’t explain it. I only tow my Ford Fusion(3800lbs). Long story short I picked it up today. Thor paid a local DOT approved welder to fix and reinforce the frame. They also put on a brand new hitch assembly. I towed the car home and everything worked great.

Any product can break. I am glad to see Thor step up. Gives me confidence to consider them again for the next coach.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:40 AM   #393

THOR #4231
Reassuring to hear about your positive experience, Hoosier 26!

I put 13' in my gps, just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:03 PM   #394

Model: 37 KT
State: Ohio
THOR #9250
Cha,llenger owner question

Bought a 2015 37kt this spring, been out a few times, some dry and others full hookup. Rig has residential fridge and 1800 watt inverter, 2 coach batts. can't run on batts much more than a 5-10 min before voltage drops to <12. see where some have added 2 more batts, how much longer can you run on those?
auto gen will kick in at 12 when enabled, but some slots have QUIET time......
Old 10-08-2017, 12:05 AM   #395

THOR #4231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makes6 View Post
Thanks everyone.

Question: does anyone know the height of the RV with AC units? I’ve tried googling but getting various answers. We have the 2017 37TB.

Stats on the website say 12’ 11”.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:17 AM   #396

THOR #5655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothertype55 View Post
Stats on the website say 12’ 11”.

I noticed this 12’11” stat on the current website and I think that applies to the 2018 model. Everything I see in my literature from 2017 says 12’9”. Not sure why the 2” difference. Anyone know the reason for this difference?
Old 10-08-2017, 05:13 AM   #397

Model: Challenger LX
State: Texas
THOR #6185
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJPR View Post
Bought a 2015 37kt this spring, been out a few times, some dry and others full hookup. Rig has residential fridge and 1800 watt inverter, 2 coach batts. can't run on batts much more than a 5-10 min before voltage drops to <12. see where some have added 2 more batts, how much longer can you run on those?

auto gen will kick in at 12 when enabled, but some slots have QUIET time......

Sounds like the two batteries you have are bad. They should last 6-8 hours. No matter what if you just replace them or decide to upgrade to four batteries you will need to replace the ones you have so they all match. If you have two old and two new they will all go bad quickly. They all have to be date matched within a month or so.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #398

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier 26 View Post
I noticed this 12’11” stat on the current website and I think that applies to the 2018 model. Everything I see in my literature from 2017 says 12’9”. Not sure why the 2” difference. Anyone know the reason for this difference?
I saw on a video that the 2018's are indeed 2" taller than previous years. No explanation was shared.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #399

THOR #1020
We set our cautions on route planning a 13'6" - better safe then sorry while scraping off a bunch of high $ stuff. In almost 42k miles of driving never been an issue.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #400

THOR #4231
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
We set our cautions on route planning a 13'6" - better safe then sorry while scraping off a bunch of high $ stuff. In almost 42k miles of driving never been an issue.

I will revise my settings to 13.5’ before I take it out again. Don’t want to take any chances with my a/c units!