Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2018, 03:26 AM   #501

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Florida
THOR #6952
I have to admit we have experienced more issues with the Challenger than our first class A, Jayco Precept, but we have been happy overall. We have our last warranty visit planned tomorrow to have the drop down bed adjusted as it will not extend or retract in a straight position. Knocking on wood we have not had any issues with the slides on our 37Kt. Wish you the best of luck and hope that you have years of enjoyment on the horizion. We love the luxery and floorplan of the Challenger and hope you will as well.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:22 AM   #502

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #6952
Have to admit my visit to General RV on May 8th was not what I expected. I was assigned to a new hire who told me that the drop down bed motor need to be replaced. Also before heading to the shop that morning I was not able to start the generator. The newbie told me that I need a new carburator. He assured me all would be covered by warranty but they needed authorization from Thor. When I never heard anything I found out Newbie is no longer with GR. After repeated calls with no call backs, I asked for the GM. Found out Thor had denied the claim. Called Thor and the representative actually laughed becaused they denied the claim because the pictures GR took didn't even show the issues. The pics were a long shot of the coach outside and a pic of the captain chair. Called GR today and have to take another vacation day to have new pic's taken. Just sharing it is not just CW!
Old 06-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #503

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfield3 View Post
I have to admit we have experienced more issues with the Challenger than our first class A, Jayco Precept, but we have been happy overall. We have our last warranty visit planned tomorrow to have the drop down bed adjusted as it will not extend or retract in a straight position. Knocking on wood we have not had any issues with the slides on our 37Kt. Wish you the best of luck and hope that you have years of enjoyment on the horizion. We love the luxery and floorplan of the Challenger and hope you will as well.
We actually was looking at a Precept several months back, but decided against it after reading review after review about how many problems folks were having with Precept Class A's.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:44 AM   #504

THOR #11149
Stairwell door vent

I have had to adjust, fix, and rebuild countless things so far, but this was by far my most disappointing find. The strips of carpet by the edges of the door had light showing through so I investigated. What I found shocked me! Wide open to the outside and there had been no attempt by Thor to seal things up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180616_123624.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	10820   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180616_123642.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	10821  

Old 06-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #505

Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: South Dakota
THOR #12005
I just bought a used 2016 Challenger 37 LX. It only has 2 batteries. Do you recommend 4?
Old 06-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #506

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Illinois
THOR #7157
Ingerosa having 4 instead of 2 will give you more time the batteries can go before recharging is necessary. I only have 2 in my Challenger 37kt but I don't feel that adding more is necessary. We just don't boondock much. We typically only drive 8 hours or less a day and its not been a problem.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #507

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
It will depend on how long you want to remain using the coach while not driving or using generator. We boondock often and upgraded to 4 AGM batteries and added solar charging to keep fuel costs down.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #508

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Illinois
THOR #7157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
It will depend on how long you want to remain using the coach while not driving or using generator. We boondock often and upgraded to 4 AGM batteries and added solar charging to keep fuel costs down.

[emoji106] That's what I would do if we lived out west or was planning on spending the summer months out in the wide open spaces. Agree totally.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:45 PM   #509

Model: Challenger LX
State: Texas
THOR #6185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingerosa View Post
I just bought a used 2016 Challenger 37 LX. It only has 2 batteries. Do you recommend 4?

I have a 2017 Challenger 37LX and only have two batteries, and we haven’t had any problems yet.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #510

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I have a 2017 Challenger 37LX and only have two batteries, and we haven’t had any problems yet.
Same here. We don't do any dry camping at this time, so 2 house batteries work just fine for now. Would definitely add 2 more if or when it becomes an issue.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #511

THOR #11149
Warranty work by Ford

When I drove my 37TB away from the dealership I immediately noticed a vibration on the Passenger front side. I called the dealership once I stopped and was told I was on my own and to call Thor, Ford, or Michelin. My next stop was at Safe-T-Plus for the stabilizer install and the tech there told me something was wrong with the front-end and that it needed to be resolved before the final adjustments could be made to the stabilizer. A few more calls with Thor and they gave me the names of a few places to take it to, but none of them could fit me in for an appointment for over a week and I needed to get back home. I decided to start the drive and just try places I had saved on the GPS on the way home. I finally got some help in SC and was told that it was a bad tire, but safe to drive on. I looked up a Michelin truck tire shop and took it in yesterday. Both front tires were balanced perfectly and the only thing they could find was that the passenger side kingpin needs another shim to tighten it up. Next week I will get that fixed and get an alignment. I am expecting this to be coming out of my pocket and then I will have to deal with Ford or Thor. Does anyone have any experience or advice on handling this?
Old 07-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #512

Model: Challenger 37BT
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirul View Post
When I drove my 37TB away from the dealership I immediately noticed a vibration on the Passenger front side. I called the dealership once I stopped and was told I was on my own and to call Thor, Ford, or Michelin. My next stop was at Safe-T-Plus for the stabilizer install and the tech there told me something was wrong with the front-end and that it needed to be resolved before the final adjustments could be made to the stabilizer. A few more calls with Thor and they gave me the names of a few places to take it to, but none of them could fit me in for an appointment for over a week and I needed to get back home. I decided to start the drive and just try places I had saved on the GPS on the way home. I finally got some help in SC and was told that it was a bad tire, but safe to drive on. I looked up a Michelin truck tire shop and took it in yesterday. Both front tires were balanced perfectly and the only thing they could find was that the passenger side kingpin needs another shim to tighten it up. Next week I will get that fixed and get an alignment. I am expecting this to be coming out of my pocket and then I will have to deal with Ford or Thor. Does anyone have any experience or advice on handling this?
Just saw your post, no problems with front end, but have had other issues, like the Cargo Doors, Debonding, and peeling back while driving ! CHECK YOUR CARGO DOORS ! Windshield Wipers only working on slow, and a few other things.
I did have an Alignment done, and it made a huge difference in reducing the Wandering, and now tracks straight down the lane.
Turns out the plug was , plugged in backwards, tech turned it around , they now fine on all speeds, and Variable speed too !
FRONT END Issues should be covered by Ford.
Where ya located, as it looks as if your headed toward the Carolinas?
Old 07-24-2018, 12:59 AM   #513

Model: 37gt Challenger
State: Arkansas
THOR #12432
Quote:
I have had to adjust, fix, and rebuild countless things so far, but this was by far my most disappointing find. The strips of carpet by the edges of the door had light showing through so I investigated. What I found shocked me! Wide open to the outside and there had been no attempt by Thor to seal things up.
i have a 2014 gt and had the same issue. wrapped in foil tape and the carpet was cut short
Old 07-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #514

THOR #11149
Update to my frontend work... I had the work performed at an independent shop not a Ford dealership because Ford Motorhome support couldn't find a dealership in my area that would work on a 38" RV. Although I was in communication with Ford before the work was performed they would not give me authorization and actually threatened that I could void the warranty. I just wanted a drivable RV and the summer is almost over, so I was tired of waiting. The shop reshimmed both of the Kingpins followed by an alignment and now there is no noticeable vibration coming from the front. Overall it was a success, but after submitting the bill and work order Ford denied payment on the basis of not enough information provided on what work was performed. So I am out $500, but I have a drivable RV.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:51 PM   #515

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Update to my frontend work... I had the work performed at an independent shop not a Ford dealership because Ford Motorhome support couldn't find a dealership in my area that would work on a 38" RV. Although I was in communication with Ford before the work was performed they would not give me authorization and actually threatened that I could void the warranty. I just wanted a drivable RV and the summer is almost over, so I was tired of waiting. The shop reshimmed both of the Kingpins followed by an alignment and now there is no noticeable vibration coming from the front. Overall it was a success, but after submitting the bill and work order Ford denied payment on the basis of not enough information provided on what work was performed. So I am out $500, but I have a drivable RV.
Use it and enjoy it! It is what it is. We fixed a front end vibration with a new $600 tire. Didn't even try to get reimbursed. Now we have a spare.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:40 PM   #516

THOR #11149
Drop Hitch / Ball Mount for Challenger

I bought a Acme Eze Tow Dolly to use with the Challenger, but my slanted driveway is making it difficult to get an accurate measurement on how much drop I need on the ball mount. The Eze Tow manual says 14-16" is ideal. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2018, 05:05 PM   #517
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Do you have a parking lot nearby; that is level enough?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #518

Model: Challenger 37tb
State: Tennessee
THOR #11091
I use the EZ-Tow Dolly with my 2016 Thor Challenger 37tb and I found that an 8” drop down hitch put me in the right parameters.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #519

State: Indiana
THOR #4813
Stirul: Do you subscribe to Motorhome magazine? If you don't I would recommend it. If you do, try writing to their magazine and many times people get reimbursed for out of pocket expenses that otherwise get ignored. I believe the vendors don't like the negative publicity they would be subjected to when the complaint is printed in Motorhome magazine so they cough up reimbursement to clients. Worth a try.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #520

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
I tried posting this in a new thread yesterday but I don’t see that it went through. So...
I feel ignorant having to ask this, but better safe than sorry. What is the foam insulation type material for, that is inside the engine compartment? When I opened the hood, there was a piece stuck up against the radiator that had obviously fallen from above. It looks like the spray-in foam that's flame retardant. I don't really know what it does, and don't know if I should be concerned that a piece (roughly the size of half of a cantaloupe, shaped like a half of a bagel) has fallen off. Tried Googling and searching this forum for answers but no luck. Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote