Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2017, 03:05 AM   #301

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Tennessee
THOR #4231
Thanks. How do I find out about the service departments in advance? Just reviews on their websites?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:14 AM   #302

Model: Venetian B42
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothertype55 View Post
Thanks. How do I find out about the service departments in advance? Just reviews on their websites?

I wish I had taken the reviews more seriously. Website reviews and forums like this one are great sources. I can't blame anyone but myself. Plenty of people had comments on Camping World. They were close by and had access to the product I wanted. If you have to order the production anyway find a dealer that will deliver it to you properly. Camping World did not prep my Challenger thoroughly or show/explain proper use to me as a first time RVer. I have learned a ton in this first 9 months but it would have been much easier if the dealer had checked everything before delivering the unit.

Thor has to take credit for the issues too but the dealer put me on the road in a vehicle that wasn't ready. Unacceptable. The problems are resolved and I love my Challenger because of the floor plan and how easy it is to use. Bottom line is I would buy it again. I would have gone to a different dealer with a better service reputation. Hindsight is, as they say, 20/20. L
Old 07-06-2017, 08:19 AM   #303

THOR #5655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothertype55 View Post

Forgot say one thing that might be most important. Go visit the dealership. Meet the service manager. Ask for a tour. Does it seem like a well run business? The times I have spent at my two local Camping Worlds I have witnessed customer service I never would allow in my own business. I should have been more diligent before the sale. I just didn't understand the complexity of the motorhome service experience. I do now.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #304
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
There is also this website:
RV Service Reviews

It doesn't appear to get as much traffic as campgroundreviews.com which is a shame though.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:45 AM   #305

State: Tennessee
THOR #4231
Thanks! Neither of my nearest Camping Worlds get good reviews. I guess I will just start down the list of nearby places on the RV Service Reviews site and call them to find out whether or not they do Thor warranty work.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #306

THOR #5655
The sound and heat barrier project on my 37TB is making a huge difference. I completed the dash cap and doghouse a few weeks ago and this past weekend applied the Noico 50 mil barrier under the driver and passenger seating area. I don't own a decibel meter but there is no doubt in my mind or ears that the engine and road noise is greatly reduced. Conversations are easier and music from the stereo is much better after the install. I choose the Noico product because I was skeptical and didn't want to spend the money on the premium name products. They appear to have similar composition so I elected to save the money. I still have some left over and am trying to decide where else to put it. My first thought was above the generator so that sleeping would be better with the generator running during trips when we are stopped at a roadside rest or Flying J. Any thoughts on putting this material above the generator?
Old 07-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #307

THOR #4486
Hoosier 26, can you share some pics of your install? I also have a 37TB I'd like to add some noise insulation to and wouldn't mind seeing where you placed yours and how you fastened it. As for adding your left over to the generator compartment, I would assume that as long as you do not interfere with the generators air intake or exhaust, you should be fine. Thanks in advance.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:43 PM   #308

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Baking in our box

We're almost 7 months into our new Challenger purchase. So far just a few problems which Thor and General RV have handled well. We've taken a few local weekend trips but mostly it's been parked in an RV resort on the west coast of Florida, where we use it as a weekend getaway in the summer.

My question is for those who are, or have been in hot climates in their Challengers. How well does your A/C work in the hot afternoons? General RV said the air temps coming out of both units are within range and my husband confirmed their numbers with his own infrared thermometer. However we are never below 80 degrees inside. Both thermostats have been set to 70 degrees and high fan. Outdoor temps today have been in the high 80's to low 90's. First picture is at 1:48pm, at 10 degree difference between outdoor and indoor temps. At 3:25pm, there was only an 8 degree difference, and at 4pm, only a 5 degree difference. All blinds have been pulled, vents closed, and the door has been closed. Our last RV, a 2002 Southwind with same size A/C units would be icebox cold in the same spot and conditions. Anyone have a similar situation or any ideas? Or is this a crappy insulation issue that we just have to deal with?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6013.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	6092   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6014.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	6093  

Name:	BE93C914-A4C4-4BAA-8AC4-6831D8271E73.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	6094  
Old 07-28-2017, 09:03 PM   #309

State: California
THOR #5906
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
We're almost 7 months into our new Challenger purchase. So far just a few problems which Thor and General RV have handled well. We've taken a few local weekend trips but mostly it's been parked in an RV resort on the west coast of Florida, where we use it as a weekend getaway in the summer.

My question is for those who are, or have been in hot climates in their Challengers. How well does your A/C work in the hot afternoons? General RV said the air temps coming out of both units are within range and my husband confirmed their numbers with his own infrared thermometer. However we are never below 80 degrees inside. Both thermostats have been set to 70 degrees and high fan. Outdoor temps today have been in the high 80's to low 90's. First picture is at 1:48pm, at 10 degree difference between outdoor and indoor temps. At 3:25pm, there was only an 8 degree difference, and at 4pm, only a 5 degree difference. All blinds have been pulled, vents closed, and the door has been closed. Our last RV, a 2002 Southwind with same size A/C units would be icebox cold in the same spot and conditions. Anyone have a similar situation or any ideas? Or is this a crappy insulation issue that we just have to deal with?

We just recently got back a month long road trip in our Challenger. Utah and Northern California were over a 100 and we were comfortable. All windows and shades were closed during the day as well as vents. We did close the rear bathroom door off to help keep more of the cool air in the places we were in bedroom and up front. However up front I feel because of the large space could definitely use a third air to help with the large volume of space one air conditioner is supposed to cool. We also kept the bunk doors closed as well. If you can keep alot of the direct sunlight off of your Front widow (as this acts as a HUGE Heater) you will be able to help keep the inside more manageable. Keeping the direct sun off the rv as much as possible is key.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:04 PM   #310

THOR #4486
I recently stayed at the Rayestown Lake resort in PA lake front with only 30amp service available. No shade, baking in the sun around 90+ outside. Could only run one AC unit (30amp service) and I could not get the coach lower than 80 inside. I assume if I could run both units, I could have gotten the inside temp down to at least 75. Most of the heat was coming from the front windshield even with the shade down. I blocked off that area with a bedspread and it did make a little difference.

Shade is a wonderful thing when your camping.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
Old 07-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #311

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post

I have been in hot climates (115) and my inside Temps were around 82 with both ACs working pretty hard. With the outside Temps only in the 80s, you should definitely be cover inside. It our 37LX, the bedroom always cools down quicker so I set the temp of that AC lower and close more vents in bedroom so it pushed the air into the front. I also open the front vent on the front AC to push air directly to the front cab area since it gets hot their the quickest. We average around 72-74 when it's in the 80s outside. Also get a windshield cover, it helps with about a 10 degree difference. I hope this helps but yes to your comment before... the insulation is not great.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #312

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Georgia
THOR #6681
There is definitely something not right. You should easily go into low to mid 70's
Old 07-28-2017, 10:11 PM   #313

THOR #6310
Thanks for the replies. It's just past 6pm now and the inside temp dropped a whole degree down to 82!

We plan to get get some of those insulated sheets and cut to fit all the windows in the front. The cab area is definitely hotter than the rest of the RV. We'll see if that helps.

I touched the wall next to the drivers side window and it's HOT. Use husbands infrared thermometer on the wall. First one is next to the passenger side window and the second is to the right of the door which is shaded by the awning. Crazy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6021.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	6097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6022.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	6098  

Old 07-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #314

THOR #4486
Does anyone have a good retailer for an outside windshield cover for the Challengers that they can refer?
2015 Ford Taurus toad
Old 07-28-2017, 11:12 PM   #315

THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Does anyone have a good retailer for an outside windshield cover for the Challengers that they can refer?
That's a great idea.

I'm convinced shade is everything. The sun just dropped behind our palm trees and the interior temp is dropping now. Still 88 degrees outside.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:08 AM   #316

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Magneshade, attaches with magnets, don't need a ladder, no holes or snaps.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:16 AM   #317

THOR #5196
For those of you suffering inside temps in the 80's this is an easy mod to increase the airflow from your AC units. Myself and several others have made this mod with good success. The vents are available from Amazon, cut a hole in the exhaust end of your inside cover and install with four screws. The mod takes less than 30 min to do and in my opinion is well worth it. On a recent trip to Galveston we were in a spot with no shade, temps in the upper 90's and the AC cycled off several time during the day with thermostat set at 70 degrees.

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	6099
Old 07-31-2017, 01:42 AM   #318

THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
For those of you suffering inside temps in the 80's this is an easy mod to increase the airflow from your AC units. Myself and several others have made this mod with good success. The vents are available from Amazon, cut a hole in the exhaust end of your inside cover and install with four screws. The mod takes less than 30 min to do and in my opinion is well worth it. On a recent trip to Galveston we were in a spot with no shade, temps in the upper 90's and the AC cycled off several time during the day with thermostat set at 70 degrees.

Attachment 6099
This looks like a good idea. I think we will wait until the warranty period is over before we start making those kinds of mods, though.

I've done a lot of reading here and on other forums about trouble cooling down inside when outside temps are high and it seems to be an issue for some. This is our first dark colored RV so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:22 AM   #319

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #6952
Auto Level Jacks

For the second time the auto level jack setting has resulting in a tire being elevated. Is this normal? I called THOR and they said it was not a problem to leave it elevated but I could add blocks under the jacks. Any suggestions you have will be appreciated. We have a 2017 37KT.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:16 AM   #320

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfield3 View Post
For the second time the auto level jack setting has resulting in a tire being elevated. Is this normal? I called THOR and they said it was not a problem to leave it elevated but I could add blocks under the jacks. Any suggestions you have will be appreciated. We have a 2017 37KT.
You obviously spoke to a moron, putting a pad under the jack will not stop the wheel from raising up off the ground, the jack just won't have to extend as far. The wheel raises up because of the angle your coach is parked on.