Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2016, 01:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Love our Challenger

So we've had our Challenger 37TB for 10 months and 15,500. Been coast to coast, dry camped for 2 months and have found all the features on our coach to be great. Yep we've had some issues - goes hand in hand with the first year of ownership - but gotta say its been great.

With all the time we've spent dry camping in our coach the 100 gals of fresh water and the 80/80 of black/gray is tremendous. We've got a washer and dryer on board, added two batteries (total of 4) and rearranged some of the storage and DW takes a nice hot shower ever day - it all works.

When you look at lots of other coaches out there, as we look around at some of the things others have to do to dry camp - the Challenger is a home run. We have quiet time from 11 PM - 7 Am - rig runs my CPAP, residential fridge and whatever else without issue.

So - I guess we've got a gasser - some even call it an entry level - it's not a DP but better than most DP relative to storage, water and on board amenities.

We'd like a bit more room in the front and may put in some recliners but gotta say - bang for the buck - NICE.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

State: Connecticut
THOR #3785
Hi Ben!

I'm in the market for 37TB as well. I'm glad to hear you like it so much. Before I put together a deal, is there any advice you have? Sort of "Stuff I wish I had known before?"

Thanks Ben,

Bill
Old 03-09-2016, 01:27 AM   #3

THOR #1020
Check your PMs. Love the coach.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:26 AM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #3867
I am also in the market for a new Class A and found the 37TB today and really like it. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2016, 04:08 AM   #5

State: California
THOR #3900
Just ordered ours! Can't wait to get it and go exploring whenever my husband can get leave!
Old 03-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
Glad to hear it. I ordered a 2017 Challenger 37LX about 2 weeks ago and it is supposed to be delivered around the end of may/beginning of June. I was assured I would have it by June 7th because I have a trip planned on the 10th . I have been in contact with the Thor regional sales manager who is watching the timeline for me as well as sending me pictures as things happen. I might be a little crazy with it, but it is like buying a house. He is also letting me know when it hits the assembly line so I can go up and check things out and get a tour.

I ordered mine with the riverside paint job and haven't really seen it yet, only saw a rendered drawing of it. The sales manager is going to take a picture of an outlaw that is almost done being painted so I can get a good look at it and decide if I want to keep it (I think I will anyway because the color scheme was really nice). Other than that, I will have 4 batteries and a washer/dryer combo installed at the dealer before heading out with it.

From hearing everyone else who has the Challenger, I cannot wait to get it in a few months.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:58 PM   #7

THOR #1020
Yep - still love our Challenger and all the great features. Going to the factory on April 11th to get our final warranty fixes done - we're assured all of the items on our list will be fixed. No significant broke stuff - just annoyances.

I'll let you know after April 16th how it went.

Enjoy your new LX, it is a great floor plan.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #8

Model: Challenger
State: Florida
THOR #3118
It's very exciting but the waiting is the worst.
We ordered our 2016 LX in May 2015 and we were told we would have it in 6 to 8 weeks. Well, it went way over that, we finally got it the end of September. It was a good thing we still had our old RV to go on our planned summer trips. It was well worth the wait!
We are having a washer / dryer combo installed in a few weeks. That will remove the existing pantry space so we ordered 3 wooden slide out shelves, 21 Wide X 31" Deep to go in the closet next to it.

Congratulations!
DEimerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:59 PM   #9

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
BB,
We both know the challenger isn't a entry level RV. So what it's a gases, makes the trip for maintenance easier to stomach. We also love ours and spend a lot of time discovering America. The one problem is having a residential refrigerator, it can use a lot of power. Without updating battery storage, they drain them down way to quickly. We also added more battery storage for dry camping.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #10

THOR #1020
nmrver - the entry level comment was tongue in cheek to some that think unless it has a diesel engine and cost north of $500000 its a starter RV.

I see you have the 5 Star Tune also. We are making a 600 mile trip this next week and I hope it does as well as I suspect it will. I took a short trip and noticed a significant change in the shift patterns.

Glad to hear there are a number of us that enjoy the Challenger - it's a well put laid out coach.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Although we are the odd couple with a 37ND we love it just the same. The only problem is currently it is low mileage. I need to correct that problem soon.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3865
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
nmrver - the entry level comment was tongue in cheek to some that think unless it has a diesel engine and cost north of $500000 its a starter RV.

I see you have the 5 Star Tune also. We are making a 600 mile trip this next week and I hope it does as well as I suspect it will. I took a short trip and noticed a significant change in the shift patterns.

Glad to hear there are a number of us that enjoy the Challenger - it's a well put laid out coach.

What is the 5 Star Tune?
Old 04-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #13

Model: Liking the Challenger
State: Texas
THOR #3984
The Challenger is the model we are looking real hard at, space is a major issue with whatever RV we finally settle on.

I am wondering how many "upgrades" folks have do to the Challenger and whether they would be classed as "needed" or "nice to have" is that sort of information available on this forum?

JD
Old 04-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdftwrth98 View Post
The Challenger is the model we are looking real hard at, space is a major issue with whatever RV we finally settle on.

I am wondering how many "upgrades" folks have do to the Challenger and whether they would be classed as "needed" or "nice to have" is that sort of information available on this forum?

JD
JD,

The mods I have made to mine would all be classified as nice to have. Here is what I have done in the year since purchasing our Challenger 37ND.

Modified the fresh water tank drain so that I can sanitize the water hose at the same time the fresh water system is sanitized. Here is the link to that mod http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...tank-1208.html

Added Dynamat sound deadening to the doghouse. Here is the link to that mod http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...egin-1515.html

Added spring loaded drawer dividers to the pantry shelves so items would remain stationary while traveling. Here is the link http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...pain-1465.html

Replaced the wall sconce and dinette light bulbs with LEDs. Here is the link to that mod http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-led-2619.html

Others have added a steering stabilizer or a five star tune but those are things I have not had a need to do. For me the Challenger handles and drives fine as is. I did have my front end alignment checked and it was right on the money with no adjustment necessary.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #15

State: Connecticut
THOR #3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post

Hi Ben

After our maiden trip on Assateague one thing that bothered me about our 37TB was the lack of a pantry and general kitchen storage. Even our 32 ft Class C had a pull out pantry. One of the options our coach has is an over which kills some drawer space. How do you deal with food storage? I have two boys that eat like their legs are hollow . . .

Bill
2016 Challenger 37TB
BillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:05 AM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillT View Post
Hi Ben

After our maiden trip on Assateague one thing that bothered me about our 37TB was the lack of a pantry and general kitchen storage. Even our 32 ft Class C had a pull out pantry.
Yea the same thing with our 36tl really no where to put any canned goods except about 10 cans and a few spices right behind the stove in plain sight or in the out door kitchen area. Maybe when we go full time we might keep some kind of box in the basement full of canned goods and such...
Old 04-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #17

THOR #1020
A couple of inputs:

1. Our 37TB has a pullout pantry. Doesn't have the fancy french door refrig on purpose. When we upgraded to the Challenger, we really didn't need any additional refrig space but we did need the pantry space. Additionally, we have lots of basement storage space. In the compartment next to the door, I setup some of the molded storage units (from Home Depot) to hold some extra household items. Also, we carry bottled water in front of those selves.

2. Upgrades. We have at least two that are absolutely necessary (IMO).

First, an electrical surge suppressor (ours is built in). Keeps the coach from getting hit by a either low or high voltages. You'd think that this would be a standard item. IMO it is essential.

Second, a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). IMO, sits right there next to the suppressor as a requirement. We have systems that monitor engine water, oil and gasoline. Yet the system where our wonderful coach touches the road - not monitored.

3. We added a couple of things that the DW felt essential niceties.

-A way to hold stove tops without breaking them. Found this over at IRV2. Thor Challenger Owners Unite! - Page 119 - iRV2 Forums

-J Latches to keep some of the large storage bins closed.

- Air Compressor. I don't care what sort of RV you have, using the ones at truck stops/gas stations is a no-go. At best they are wonky (technical term for unusable).

-Rock guard. Lots of pro and cons to this one. After soon to be 12 months and 18,000 miles ours is important.

-Washer/dryer. We use our a LOT. The huge water storage (grey and fresh) makes feasible even when boon docking. We spent 2 months in Key West and will do 3 months next year boon docking. Go to a laundry mat a couple of times and you'll understand.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillT View Post
Hi Ben

After our maiden trip on Assateague one thing that bothered me about our 37TB was the lack of a pantry and general kitchen storage. Even our 32 ft Class C had a pull out pantry. One of the options our coach has is an over which kills some drawer space. How do you deal with food storage? I have two boys that eat like their legs are hollow . . .

Bill
When I had my 37ND in for service the Master Tech mentioned Thor took out the pantry to make room for the wider side by side refrigerator in the 2016s.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #19

Model: Liking the Challenger
State: Texas
THOR #3984
Hi,

I have a question about Class A rv's but is specific to the Challenger RV's built by Thor, for the 110 volt wiring in the mh is the wiring copper or aluminum?

I appreciate any comments that are offered!

JD
Old 04-06-2016, 08:10 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #1469
I have not remove a receptacle to check but my wiring diagram says that all 120 VAC wiring must be rated at a minimum of 125 degrees Celsius.

Not sure if this helps you any.
FMCA - F432054